SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came off warranty about a month ago, but I've got the 5 year CPO and figured I'm good for just about anything. I had a slow coolant leak - about 14 days between the car notifying me it was low and refilled- that I just went in for and found that coolant/heater hoses aren't covered. Yes, I already generally knew the exclusions but also generally thought "it'll be covered" and was surprised when it wasn't. I think I also thought that coolant/radiator hose fixes would be on the inexpensive side - not this one with a $600 bill, ouch.

The exclusions are there, I know, but it's just an unexpected ouch. I guess I'm writing this really just to remind everyone that while the CPO covers a lot of stuff, it's not everything.

As a reminder, I got my info form this thread: XC90 Reliable?

Which has:

>>The factory warranty covers (almost) everything with minimal hassle. The Certified/extended warranties have the following exclusions:
Brake linings, brake drums and rotors, disc brake pads, standard manual transmission clutch friction disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing and arm, air bags, solar powered devices, glass, lenses, sealed beams, body parts and/or panels, weather stripping, trim, moldings, lock cylinders, tires, wheels, all batteries except hybrid/EV/hydrogen high voltage batteries, light bulbs, upholstery, paint, bright metal, freeze plugs, filters, heater and radiator hoses, exhaust system, catalytic converter, shock absorbers, work such as front-end alignment or wheel balancing (except when required in conjunction with a mechanical breakdown), safety restraint systems, audio/security or other systems not factory installed, or vinyl and convertible tops.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Unfortunately hoses are a wear and tear item that age over time and and not a warranty item. Thankfully Volvo's exclusion list is very detailed and available for all consumers to easily find. Even thought the Volvo CPO is one of the best in the industry, there are still some items not covered. Why did the hose fail? They are in a location that can be damaged from road debris on occasion, and obviously man of them last the life of the car. Just a little bad luck unfortunately.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
My car came off warranty about a month ago, but I've got the 5 year CPO and figured I'm good for just about anything. I had a slow coolant leak - about 14 days between the car notifying me it was low and refilled- that I just went in for and found that coolant/heater hoses aren't covered. Yes, I already generally knew the exclusions but also generally thought "it'll be covered" and was surprised when it wasn't. I think I also thought that coolant/radiator hose fixes would be on the inexpensive side - not this one with a $600 bill, ouch.

The exclusions are there, I know, but it's just an unexpected ouch. I guess I'm writing this really just to remind everyone that while the CPO covers a lot of stuff, it's not everything.

Which has:
Even if this happened within warranty, Volvo doesn't cover wear and tear (weather stripping, Hoses, etc). Unfortunately, this repair is just general wear and tear and nothing more.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Even if this happened within warranty, Volvo doesn't cover wear and tear (weather stripping, Hoses, etc). Unfortunately, this repair is just general wear and tear and nothing more.
Coolant hoses are covered by regular warranty. I don't know of any extended warranty that covers them.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Coolant hoses are covered by regular warranty. I don't know of any extended warranty that covers them.
So coolant hoses aren't considered a wear part? Are these hoses not rubber? I would think any part that is rubber is subject to weather conditions (cracking, debris, etc).

Well then I guess he should reach out to Volvo being 2 weeks outside the CPO and ask for good will.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this same problem with my 2016 last summer a 4 year old car with 28k miles garage kept 2 bad coolant hoses in the hybrid system. When it comes to wear items that seems to me like a serious underperformance of a part and should bring in to question the longevity of all coolant hoses in these cars. I asked Volvo what the recommended replacement interval for coolant hoses is and they had no answer. As a careful owner who does not want a failure how am I to prevent a failure if I do not know what the expected replacement cycle is? I paid the $800 repair and just hope another hose doesn't fail in my future.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
is this labor intensive or something? I'm not sure what hose you are replacing but in general hoses aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
So coolant hoses aren't considered a wear part? Are these hoses not rubber? I would think any part that is rubber is subject to weather conditions (cracking, debris, etc).

Well then I guess he should reach out to Volvo being 2 weeks outside the CPO and ask for good will.
Some are rubber. Others (the ones I've seen commonly leak) are plastic.

is this labor intensive or something? I'm not sure what hose you are replacing but in general hoses aren't that expensive.
Could be. Depends on the hose. You should know more than most how many various hoses these have.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I'd like to see how many hours we're billed for the job, that would.gice me a better idea of what they replaced.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Yeah since he paid for it they should list that on the paperwork.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Some are rubber. Others (the ones I've seen commonly leak) are plastic.
Strange. Why does plastic leak more often than rubber? Rubber is susceptible to Dry Rot and cracking. I would think Plastic would be far more durable.

If I were OP, two weeks out of CPO, I'd fight this one and try to get Volvo to pay. Considering you are stating these are actually not considered "wear".

·
Registered
7,075 Posts

Which has:
Based on Tech's response these are not considered wear... I have two suggestions:

1. Approach the General Manager (in person preferably...but email works) and ask if he can get Volvo to good will the repair. Seeing the CPO expired 2 weeks ago and all maintenance (I Presume) have been performed by Volvo. I.E Secure you the $600 refund.

2. Emailing Mr. Casey and Mr. Doering's office. And having Volvo Good Will you a reimbursement.

Being 2 weeks out of CPO, I'd spend the 20 minutes emailing / talking to GM to save $600. I'll be glad to help craft something.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Here we go. Now Volvo has to pay for something clearly not covered.

Plastic ones crack. In my entire career, I don't think I've ever seen a rubber coolant hose on a Volvo dryrot and crack.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Rubber ones will swell until they reach their limit under pressure then burst. In essence the rubber ones get to hide their problems a little while longer than plastic ones. If there is any flaws in the molding of a plastic one, usually at poorly fused seams, they will go pretty quickly under any sort of abnormal pressure.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Here we go. Now Volvo has to pay for something clearly not covered.
WTF: You said it WOULD BE COVERED under warrant

1. Op had a Factory Warranty. 2. Op had a CPO (extension of factory warranty).

This is the ONLY REASON I said he should appeal. I stated it wasn't covered, and you corrected me and said "YES". Which is it? Covered or not. I am not here to "Game Volvo". If it was a covered item, I'll help OP. If not then no.

Plastic ones crack. In my entire career, I don't think I've ever seen a rubber coolant hose on a Volvo dryrot and crack.
Strange, I would have thought it be the opposite.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yeah, it would have been covered if he was under factory warranty. But he isn't. You said it yourself. OP HAD a factory warranty. Not anymore. All he has is CPO, which does not cover hoses. So fire up your "let's whine to the GM and if that doesn't work, email the executives" so Volvo has to pay for something on a car out of warranty.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Yeah, it would have been covered if he was under factory warranty. But he isn't. So fire up your "let's whine to the GM and if that doesn't work, email the executives" so Volvo has to pay for something on a car out of warranty.
Two weeks out of warranty? Are you kidding me? Man you are a stickler without flexibility. These are the exact situations where "Good Will" garners its name.

Yes, OP is out of warranty. One Day, Two Weeks, all the same. However, you can "create a lifetime customer" through great customer service. Where spending $600 will cause the OP to tell people that "Volvo took Care of him". It increases the chances that OP will continue his relationship with Volvo, through both future dealer service visits, and car purchased.

Or you can tell the OP, sorry bud. Rules are rules. Two weeks out. Not our problem.

Customer service goes a long way to shaping one's opinion of a brand. You look short term. I look long term. This exception benefits Volvo's bottom line LONG TERM.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The CPO warranty excludes items like this because they are wear. Volvo agrees a “wear item hose” should last 4/50000. After that, the car’s wear items are not a CPO coverage. Very logical and understandable. EVERY car manufacturer has a warranty like this. And yes, plastic formed hoses have a substantially higher failure rate than rubber. Since they are ridged and do not flex they tend to crack at a much higher rate than a rubber hose. The vast majority of Volvos will go there whole lives without a rubber hose replacement in the coolant system, but the same can’t be said for plastic formed ones that are “welded” together from two pieces.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts