SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GRRRR So this is on a 95 Volvo 850 T-5

Anyway did the dreaded flame trap service (thanks IPD). Replaced the EGR and vac lines(new silicone whoo hoo) at the same time replaced them one at a time like you should.
Found that the old PTC was unhooked from the electrical connection??? Strange but Ok why not. I've had the car for over a year now no issues no MIL/Lambda/or pin out codes.
Got it all back together, looking good no vac leaks ran good for 5 minutes or so test drive around the block untill it got hot now all is does is crank and almost catch/start.

Things I have checked:
1: Fuel at the rail YES 47 lbs at idle.

2: Spark at coil and plugs YES and timing light shows 5 degrees advanced when cranking the engine over.

3: All connections tight, no leaks or missing sensor connections. Ok as far as I can see. TPS, IAC, Crank and cam sensors, boost solenoid, egr, all 5 injectors, both knock sensors etc etc.
I did stage 0 (annually on consumables-eg plugs, wires, cap, rotor,filters) 2 weeks ago. Car ran fine for the 5 minutes it took to get up to temp on the dash then shut off and wouldn't restart.

4: Disconnect both battery terminals let the car sit for 30 minutes or so. No good still crank no start.

5: Signal at the injectors with a solenoid light. Yes they have signal per the noid light.

I have no MIL/Lambda showing (verified with Actron) and pin out under hood shows 1-1-1 (aka all is well).

Suggestions are welcome and considered helpful.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A car needs 4 things to start and run: Fuel, air, spark, compression.

Make sure a hose has not come loose from the IAC or intake. My IAC hose tore when I put everything back together and within 10 minutes of driving it started acting up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice...I'll check there. I was thinking TPS signal or crank trigger, but crank trigger would fail the spark at cylinders. As far as the IAC is concerned how regulary do they fail? I have owned Fix Or Repair Daily(FORD) products before and on them IAC is basically a maintenance item.
By intake hoses do you mean vac lines or Boost/Airflow lines.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well off to the dealer I go...this is a first for me. Atleast i get a 2013 S60 as a loaner.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ouch. I doubt they will give you a loaner for dropping off a '95 model. Loaners are usually given to people with cars under warranty.

The IAC valve will hum when you turn the key on. I'm talking about the vacuum hoses that connect to it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Fill us in when you find the answer. Did you check all of your connections? Maybe just a loose connect to something weird like a TPS or CPS could cause a no start?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the solution was a traumatically failed MAF it overheated so bad it melted the connection inside and flamed the sensor bar into goop. I have it in the shop at home and will post pictures later on, globs of crap got sucked into the 18T (due for a new/upgrade to the garrett sitting on my shelf with the freshly extrude honed R-mani). Engine just shut off thank god I wasn't in boost or I'd be looking at a new engine (only have around 12K on the forged/forged/ported rebuild anyway talk about pissing off the wife).

As far as the loaner, the service manager here is pretty cool as long as one keeps it under 200 miles and if you are a "regular" customer (family has bought several vehicles at the dealership) they treat you right. It's a Midwestern thing we kind of trust each other not to screw the other guy. Totals for 4 hours diagnostics time and new MAF $200 bucks. That included a compression test and injector service. Hate to say it but Love my dealer and that's why we go back when it is new vehicle time.

S60 T5 was nice bloated with options I would never use (nav, heated back seat, all the nanny-safety crud etc...) but very nice if a bit soft and undertired compared to what I am used to. Polestar, good DT and exhaust and a set of Pegs (or whatever) would go a longway towards "fixing" it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Loaner

I get a loaner the few times I have to bring in my 850's. The Service Manager just needs some time in his schedule to get me a car. When I can't fix something myself it really is a bigger invoice for the dealer than someone coming in for a 10,000 service on a new car. And my dealer is great to work with and even lets me use my own parts if I attempt something but can't do myself.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
They all should, it's your car (own parts). But no, greed gets the best of them and they just have to make a few extra bucks on parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts