SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I finally installed a boost gauge (Prosport electronic) and from my understanding it is all setup correctly- but I'm only getting 9-10psi reading, with it climbing upon shifting (Yupp, I have a girltronic). Anyway...

I had an iPD HD TCV, which I was running without issue for around year, and have since reinstalled my stock TCV- both getting 9-10psi.

I have reinstalled the top of my airbox (running R Kelly anyway) same results.

I'm not sure if this is a cause (considering I've seen many posts on this, with very few answers) but I'm running larger than standard boost gauge tubing. Will the larger size make my gauge read less?

Also- just a thought- I'm running IPD DP, without a tune.

There's my big old boost tube.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I was about to make a new thread about boost issues. I have oil on the cold side of the intercooler coupling which means that I have a leak there... Check yours and let me know if you've got the same issues. The plastic pipe seems very fragile, especially at the connecting spot. My boost gauge hose is also that size. I got it at home depot and it shrinks and expands, so I may have to get a more rigid one.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was about to make a new thread about boost issues. I have oil on the cold side of the intercooler coupling which means that I have a leak there... Check yours and let me know if you've got the same issues. The plastic pipe seems very fragile, especially at the connecting spot.
I have an '04 so I have the metal pipe. But I'll check there on my lunch break. Any other common leak points?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I discovered a leak in the factory IC to throttle pipe directly under the breather box. Looked as though the box was rubbing on the pipe. See 11psi before I installed the IPD throttle pipe, now I'm at a consistant 16 with stock tune.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mine is an 04 too. I don't mean the metal pipe. I mean the pipe #9 in the diagram.
+1 same pipe I was referencing as well.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Mine is an 04 too. I don't mean the metal pipe. I mean the pipe #9 in the diagram.
I'll look into this as well. I just recently noticed last night that I was only boosting 10psi however I could get 11 maybe 12 on random occurances. I'm looking at doing the FMIC this month (Ebay version) so I'll look more into this when the time arises.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'll look into this as well. I just recently noticed last night that I was only boosting 10psi however I could get 11 maybe 12 on random occurances. I'm looking at doing the FMIC this month (Ebay version) so I'll look more into this when the time arises.
Seriously it's getting annoying how many people are having the same issue. Does volvo have a killswitch sort of thing to force us to get another one?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Seriously it's getting annoying how many people are having the same issue. Does volvo have a killswitch sort of thing to force us to get another one?
Well, I need to order vac lines which I'm assuming is the issue as the last time I checked I had a few cracked lines...It's whatever, the car is performing as usual so I'm not so gung ho on caring too much about 2.5 psi.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had to replace the radiator a few weeks back and thats when I found the leak. Saw some strange oil marks and then there was the hole. I should be doing the FMIC right now but had to deal with the radiator ($$$). I plan on modding the IPD pipe with a BPS plate, swapping out the 60 degree reducer with a 60 degree 2.5 OD pc. and going custom with the FMIC. I'm sure I will find more little issues on the way.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AH okay! I'll check that out, wasn't thinking- long night... low on coffee.

Any spots to check in particular?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would check the flex sections. That's where I found my issue.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would check the flex sections. That's where I found my issue.
Great thanks! Now the only bad part about SS- getting information so fast I have to wait hours until I can actually use the info I got.

·
Registered
919 Posts
If anyone needs, I have a TB inlet tube in good shape. Can sell for $20 plus actual shipping & packaging costs.

I just did a fmic so have this available, but I did previously have a tb inlet pipe worn through @ an interference with the air box so that it a common wear point.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I've been reading up and I guess the black rubber seal OTE on the turbo end on the 04-05 models is prone to breaking or being damaged. I have a whistling type sound on max boost and I guess thats one of the symptoms.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
If that larger tubing from HD is their water line, I'd be careful as it is very soft normally. Now when you add the heat from the engine compartment, I don't think it will stand up.
Try to switch it to silicon line. I found some at a local NAPA.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I've been reading up and I guess the black rubber seal OTE on the turbo end on the 04-05 models is prone to breaking or being damaged. I have a whistling type sound on max boost and I guess thats one of the symptoms.
Do you have a part number for that seal George? I'm removing the CAP this weekend, might as well replace it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I just checked it out and couldn't see any issues. Tube looked fine actually- thoughts?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts