SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 V70 3,2 FWD When I pull out from a stop and accelerate as the engine settles from the high torque a grinding noise starts as if their is metal-to-metal vibration. I replaced the upper passenger torque mount which had failed; noise didn’t change. Replaced the lower engine mount when I replaced the passenger-side axle; noise didn’t change. Where to next? Engine mount bushings?

·
Registered
14,438 Posts
I would replace any engine mount that hasn't been changed out yet. There are probably four or five in total. There's a youtube video out there from a mechanic addressing the same thing you are and it was a mount that failed.

Reactions: CrossingCountries

·
Registered
30 Posts
The right side mount is the one that can make weird noises.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The right side mount is the one that can make weird noises.

Failure of the lower rt mount isn't unusual. Ours was replaced under warranty at around 30k miles.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I would replace any engine mount that hasn't been changed out yet. There are probably four or five in total. There's a youtube video out there from a mechanic addressing the same thing you are and it was a mount that failed.
Hey man! Interesting info. 5 engine mounts huh? Now how to locate them. Any pictures videos or drawings? Thanks
Got a link to this YouTube vid?

️🟦

·
Registered
14,438 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
2008 V70 3,2 FWD When I pull out from a stop and accelerate as the engine settles from the high torque a grinding noise starts as if their is metal-to-metal vibration. I replaced the upper passenger torque mount which had failed; noise didn't change. Replaced the lower engine mount when I replaced the passenger-side axle; noise didn't change. Where to next? Engine mount bushings?
There are two engine mounts that I thinking of when you describe this noise. The first one is the upper torque rod mount. This is right on the passenger side besides the coolants tank right when you open the hood. Check the rubber part of this mount, specifically the rubber that is closer to the front of the car, there is a bolt that goes the middle of this, and the rubber overtime breaks down/tears appart. The other engine mount that I am thinking of, is the one that is underneath the air intake, on the belt side of things. This engine mount is a black cylinder type mount, and it somewhat resembles a bigger black lego head. This one is a hydraulic mount and has rubber and fluid on the inside, when the rubber rips/breaks the fluid can leak out of it, and it will need to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts