SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was giving my S60 a post winter look over and noticed some grooving in the rear driver's side rotor. It's not large, but there's obvious rings of discoloration in several places and a few noticeable grooves when you run your finger across it.

I haven't noticed any noise or degradation of braking power.

We picked up the car in late June and have logged only 6400 miles (90% or better highway) since then, with most of those coming last summer and the first 2,000 within two weeks of taking delivery.

I'd normally associate rotor wear with abrasive material (salt, sand, gravel) getting lodged beneath the brake pad and wearing into the rotor. However, we haven't driven the car in bad weather. Even given the reasonably mild winter with salt and sand free roads, we've managed to put only 1500 miles on it since Xmas.

At a guess, I'd say that the rotor will have to be turned (even possible?) before the third scheduled service. It seems unusual to me that only one rotor would suffer premature wear.

Has anyone else noticed this in their cars? I know that brake pads are covered by S&S, but what about rotors? If so, what degree of wear warrants replacement?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have this issue with my XC70 since 2008, dealer said it's normal. I'm at 68k miles now, no noise, braking power like no other, however i'm on my 3rd set of rear pads, while still on the originals up front. Rotors are still within reasonable thickness.

I believe Volvo does not recommend turning the rotors. Does the passenger side also shows the same? Mine's the same for both sides.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this issue with my XC70 since 2008, dealer said it's normal. I'm at 68k miles now, no noise, braking power like no other, however i'm on my 3rd set of rear pads, while still on the originals up front. Rotors are still within reasonable thickness.

I believe Volvo does not recommend turning the rotors. Does the passenger side also shows the same? Mine's the same for both sides.
No, the pax side is smooth. There's barely even a noticeable lip towards the outer edge of the pad.

It's odd that you're going through rear pads much quicker than front. Typically it's the other way around as there's more brake bias towards the front.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Typically it's the other way around as there's more brake bias towards the front.
There is, but I have read that engineers have been trying to moderate that somewhat with the rears taking on more of the load. That in combination with the relatively small caliper and pad surface may explain why the rears would be wearing more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts