SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
I'm sharing photos of my GROM USB3 install. I purchased the flush mounts from GROM as well. If this sparks any interest, feel free to ask questions. I left out one step- of removing the torx 20 screws from the back of the stereo system.

I purchased the magnet mount from Koomus, and covered the logo with electrical tape, and swapped out the ugly tightener with a more minimal screw. Next, I am purchasing a short black thunderbolt cord that won't dangle.

I use an iPhone 6. Audio plays through the original stereo system. All of the steering wheel controls work. Sound quality through USB is excellent, and I have taken calls with bluetooth. The system gets confused when blue tooth is active and I connect the USB, but trying to work out this issue with GROM consumer service. Haven't bothered with the AUX in, but that is a nice option to have for passengers, without having to bother with disconnecting / reconnecting through bluetooth (which would be a lot better if it behaved more like apple airplay). Enjoy!

Before photo:

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I like that! Is it hard at all to reach down in there? That seems like a great solution for use with an external MP3 player, which is what I will be using when my aftermarket head unit dies.

·
Registered
17,953 Posts
That is pretty slick. Koomus doesn't mess with CD play? Confuse the motor trying to pull a CD inbound?
Have been wanting to get a GROM unit for a while but just worry too much (probably) about pulling stuff apart to do the install.
I will keep this in mind when I do finally decide to do the work and will probably ask more questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@LloydDobler. It is a bit difficult to reach. I'm going to have the USB plugged in at all times.

@ZZZZZZZ The Koomus unit is best for people who won't be using their CD player any more (like myself- I don't own any CD's). However, it is rubber padded and probably won't damage the CD player.

@Whoever - You do need to disconnect you car battery before the install, which makes dealing with all the plugs and electrical outlets much easier. I highly recommend photographing the back of the unit before unplugging anything, since there are a couple of empty slots that are identical to the correct slot, later on this could make the process of reconnecting a guessing game.

Here are some helpful links

GROM ipd install

GROM USB3 Installation Instructions
http://gromaudio.com/docs/volvo_instructions_ptap.pdf

ipd Volvo - Grom USB 3 Overview

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I just did this in February and used that cubby for the the same thing. However, I cut a hole big enough in the backside to feed the USB dock connector through, then I glued it vertically to the upper right corner of the cubby, recessed about an inch in from the front. I bought a 6" black lightening connector so it blends in with the dash. I use a simple c-clamp phone holder (Belkin from the Apple Store) that is placed in the center left vent.
Lastly, for your Bluetooth/USB issue, make sure in your Settings app, go to General > Accessibility, and way down the list you'll see a category called "Interaction." Look for "Call Audio Routing" and make sure it is set to HEADSET. If it's set to AUTOMATIC, it does weird stuff.

My GROMM works great and integrates well with my caR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts