SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
I have a GROM-MST3 for my XC90 '04 and would love any install tips. I watched the GROM audio video and looks straightforward. I also have the iPod cable and Bluetooth dongle.
The two questions I have initially are:
What is the best place to route the cables to? Do most folks do glovebox?
What is the best place to route the Bluetooth mic and how?
Thanks so much for your assistance!
KD

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have my USB stick and iPod in the glovebox. I thought I might want in somewhere else, especially the iPod for manual control. But I rarely ever use manual control, thus it was just much easier to install in the glovebox.

As for the bluetooth dongle. Routed through the glovebox, opened the side panel on the passenger side dash and routed the cable up the pillar. I didn't even remove the pillar cover, I just tucked them in the pillar as I routed the cable up. Once I got to the roof, I just tucked them in the liner and routed to the the mirror/lights. Again, didn't remove the light assembly, just tucked it in the light assembly and the mounted the microphone above the mirror. Less the a quarter inch of mic cable is showing above the mirror, but you would have to look very hard to notice. Took me all of 15 minutes to route the cable for the bluetooth. So far so good (its been 2 months now), was worried that the cable might fall out since I didn't use any double sided tape, but its secure. The MOST3 on the other hand has had issues, still have an open ticket with them.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey guys,

I installed a microphone on my S60R and the XC90 shouldn't be much different. Installed it to the inside of ceiling light and routed under the headliner board close to windshield and towards the driver sider pillar, and under the steering wheel to the radio. It was pretty easy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have the same questions as the OP - where to route the bluetooth microphone... I'll take a look at trying what Chester suggests above. Any other alternatives?
I would suggest the standard factory microphone position: in the dome light switch console, behind the grill (looks like a small speaker grill)
That's where my factory microphone is located.
Nicely hidden.

Here's a dome lamp panel for sale on eBay showing the microphone slots:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2014-...ash=item4679af35e2:g:8QAAAOSwLI1abTVZ&vxp=mtr

Hmmm... maybe the slots only exist when a builtin phone is fitted?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Nope, mine has the slots, but no phone. Why the microphone needs to tie up that much valuable real estate instead of something useful like a sunglasses holder is beyond me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
No sunroof here but also have the slots. Looks like that's what I'll plan to do as well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why the microphone needs to tie up that much valuable real estate instead of something useful like a sunglasses holder is beyond me.
I agree re sunglasses holder.

But the real estate is very useful.
There's quite a void space behind it (used for the movement sensor for the alarm, which I don't have).
I fitted my garage door opener into the empty space behind the microphone grill - loads of room - and set the garage door opener to be pemanently on (shorted out the switch with a wire) and then powered it from the driver's seat spotlight. That's a 12V feed, great for my 12V powered very old antique garage door opener.

Now I just turn on the driver's seat spotlight and the garage door opens.

Who needs Homelink?

·
Registered
64 Posts
MST3 or Bluetooth only streaming

I am trying to stream to a '06 XC90 2.5T with standard audio and 6 CD changer which starts up with "High Performance Sound" when switched on.

Does anybody have a GROM MST3 (not MST4)? I don't really want USB or AUX but just want to stream music via the Bluetooth. Any advise is appreciated.

Another option I am considering is this -

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_ada...tooth_adapter__direct_digital_interface_.html

·
Registered
819 Posts
If all you're looking for is bluetooth streaming, you could go the FM/aux route and just buy a bluetooth adapter to hook up to the aux input. It's what I've got and other than needing to power it on every time I start the car and not seeing track text, it works great and was pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
^^^Topic came up in another thread not too long ago. RedGem recommend this bluetooth adapter. For $15, it's worth a shot.
Well for $15, you have my interest. Do you have a link to the product?

What?s the other antenna mod you speak of, btw?

This is the one I recently bought for the '08. It seems to work pretty good, and the phone audio quality is better than the brand I have in my '06. I have the controller/microphone stuck to the dash just below and slightly to the left of the center dash vents. It's magnetic, and the mounting plate it attaches to has the adhesive to stick it to the dash.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NFC-Blueto...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
^^^Topic came up in another thread not too long ago. RedGem recommend this bluetooth adapter. For $15, it's worth a shot.
The catch to that setup for a 2006 is the AUX mod would need installed - soldering RCA wires to the antenna module in the rear roof, then running them to the front, and hook up an AUX port. The '90 didn't get AUX input until 2007.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts