SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the GROM BT3 unit for a few years now. It worked well initially, but now I've got a bad echo issue, where callers will hear their own voice echo during the call. They can usually hear me OK, but the echo of their own voice is not tolerable.

Has anyone experienced an issue when making calls through the GROM-BT3, where the person you're speaking to hears their own voice being echoed? If so, how did you fix it?

I've tried replacing the microphone, relocating the microphone to the "factory" location (above the rear view mirror), and updating the firmware to the most recent revision (version 26, released April 2017). Still experiencing the echo issue!

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should mention this issue has been occurring on (at least) the following phones: iPhone 6S, iPhone 8, Nokia Lumia 640. I even did a factory reset on the iPhone 6S to make sure it wasn't a configuration issue.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
****ing had it with GROM bull****, what do I need to wire up an aftermarket radio?

It's the year 2018 and I live in a developed nation, yet this stupid GROM unit is so bad I can't even take calls over bluetooth due to a horrible echo issue which I've been unable to resolve.

I'm literally about ready to sell this stupid car and buy a new Toyota Tacoma unless I can get a Bluetooth call option that WORKS. It's getting ridiculous making all this money in Silicon Valley, paying all this money on rent, having a prestigious job, yet not being able to take a ****ing call through my car when I'm driving home.

I think I aftermarket radios look beyond stupid, the only one I've found that seems tolerable to me is the Alpine Halo9, which runs about $900:

What all do I need to wire this up in my 2005 S60R, to replace my HU-850?

I absolutely need the following (and will just buy a new car if I can't have them all):

1) Parking distance control (beeping backup sensors)
2) Speakers should mute when in reverse, so I can hear the parking sensors beep
3) BLUETOOTH AUDIO THAT ACTUALLY WORKS
4) Steering wheel radio controls

This is the list of parts I have so far, with guidance from InCartec (https://incartec.co.uk/Volvo/S60-V60-2000-2008/Stereo-Upgrade-Double-Din/Alpine-Double-Din/0):

PDC Interface (to retain backup sensor beep)
Reverse gear mute relay (to mute radio while backup sensor is beeping)
CANBUS interface (steering wheel controls)
Volvo Aerial adapter (to hook up antenna, I assume)
Volvo amp interface (to use stock amp)
Scosche VO4152B fascia (to mount in place of 2005 HU-850)

Is there anything else I need?

Do I need any of the following?

Radio ISO lead ("Cable to connect Volvo cars to an after-market European car radio with ISO style connectors.")
Volvo DIN plug to Phono ("For Volvo cars with premium sound and Dolby Pro-Logic systems.")

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
BTW, first idiot to mention the Bluepower unit gets a slap in the face.

Only thing worse than this GROM unit has gotta be [email protected]'s paid Bluepower fanbois

·
Registered
335 Posts
Bluepower is junk from what I heard (do I still get slapped for mentioning it? lol).

I've had the same Grom unit in my car for over 2 years now. At one point, I had a few weeks of some callers complaining that there is an echo... then it was fine. Then about 4 months ago, they could hear bad static. Not anymore. Not sure what's going on but it didn't happen often at all. Still love this thing as I'm all for the stock radio in this car. Same as you, I needed bluetooth and the first few years with the car without it was painful (coming from a few Ford cars with Sync, had no issues with Sync). I did look into other units with bluetooth before going with the Grom unit. I can't recall the models but I know I was looking at some Alpine units, Kenwood (real good reviews on the models I was researching), & (can't remember the 3rd).

Not much help from me on this post unfortunately, but good luck man, I hope you get it figured out soon and not sell the car.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Backup sensors are overrated.....just gotta know where your car is lol. Add a rear wing if you don't have one; helps with the depth perception. of where the end of the car is.

Maybe try a different Grom. I somehow bricked one a few months back, no idea what happened. They're really not the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever experienced but they fill a need far better than anything else that's out there.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Backup sensors are overrated.....just gotta know where your car is lol. Add a rear wing if you don't have one; helps with the depth perception. of where the end of the car is.

Maybe try a different Grom. I somehow bricked one a few months back, no idea what happened. They're really not the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever experienced but they fill a need far better than anything else that's out there.
I never tried the Grom (always wanted to), but had many years of success with the USA Spec aux-in unit.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
I never tried the Grom (always wanted to), but had many years of success with the USA Spec aux-in unit.
does the USA Spec give you HU control over your phone?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
does the USA Spec give you HU control over your phone?
The version I had did not. Can't speak to any newer units (if newer units exist). It simply gave you an aux input.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
The version I had did not. Can't speak to any newer units (if newer units exist). It simply gave you an aux input.
ah. I'm spoiled with my Grom giving me HU control

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because I'm sure a rear wing is going to give me great depth perspective on that kid who darts behind my car while I'm backing up.

This forum is getting worse by the day.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If that's your concern, what you really want is a backup camera......
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...ies-rear-cameras-help-drivers-see-behind-them
Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and say something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Good read, seriously. I'm surprised that they found the backup camera to be safer than backup camera + parking sensor. My M.O. for keeping the PDC was to combine it with a backup camera, but (counter-intuitively) the the data shows a backup camera alone is safer.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and say something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Good read, seriously. I'm surprised that they found the backup camera to be safer than backup camera + parking sensor. My M.O. for keeping the PDC was to combine it with a backup camera, but (counter-intuitively) the the data shows a backup camera alone is safer.
LOL hold on who's doing the redeeming here?? :confused: ;) But yeah I really would only trust backup sensors for telling me about things that I should know better than to run into in the first place. A 7% reduction in collisions with objects you can't see is a nice touch, but ultimately not an amazing improvement. To your initial point, I almost backed into a turkey in my S60 this afternoon :facepalm:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.