SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add a GROM to my 06 R. the current Hu is the stock 6 disc unit. No nav or tv. I'm really wanting to install the basic GROM with the aux hookup only. Mainly because playing music from my phone is all im wanting at this point. Any advice?

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you are purely looking to play music, then their auxiliary input adapter ($60) will work work fine. But I have to admit that having a hands free call function is very convenient. The work involved with installing any device is pretty much the same. I have the whole shabang including the bluetooth adapter which ended up costing around $200. If you buy from IPD, then it is a little cheaper. If I had to do it again, then I would have just bought the Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapter Kit which is about $135. I never use the wired connection in my car and the charging is done through the cigarette lighter usb plug.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I use both. Often I have my iPod connected to the GROM, and my phone is connected via Bluetooth. When I get a call, I can answer via BT, which is very helpful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How easy is instalation?! Including getting the Hu out with out breaking anything then hooking up the grom?!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
How easy is instalation?! Including getting the Hu out with out breaking anything then hooking up the grom?!
Not too bad, but getting the CCM off your first time (or if you haven't done it in a while and forget how it works) can be a real challenge. My advice would be to use a bone tool to leverage it off. It kind of lifts out and up if I remember correctly. Much patience is required. And DO NOT disconnect it unless you want an SRS service light that needs to be reset.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Climate Control Module. Basically your heater control. Just disconnect the battery before you do anything. You will be fine.

The following is a link to a youtube video for the climate control/radio removal. It takes 10 minutes to take it apart.

Youtube Erie Volvo Center Radio Removal

If you get the microphone attachment, then you can run it under the a pillar cover. Cover just needs to be pulled hard. Then there is a plastic connector that needs to be twisted 90 degrees to be popped out. I mounted my mic on the rear view mirror plastic cover and ran the wiring through the passenger A-pillar and behind the glovebox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts