SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I replaced my Grocery Bag insert with the Tempa Spare kit. I've had my Grocery Bag insert kept in the house. Unfortunately some time back, one of the foam "legs" came off. What glue can I use to adhere it to the bottom without Melting the Foam (I.E. Hot Glue) and that will be adhesive like the original glue?

See pictures

20190505_123644.jpg

20190505_122605.jpg

20190505_122556.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
i don't know what the original glue was...hobby shops carry a foam compatible super glue and they usually come in thin or thick .

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use an industrial spray glue. It’s call super77 by 3m. Comes in a can and stick really well.
Does that work well on foam?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Works great on foam, can get a little messy but spray both sides of the contact surface and let it get tacky. Then it fuses really well
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super 77 works great on foam and won't dissolve it. Gorilla glue also works well too if you want a bit more control.
I've never had luck with Gorilla Glue. It's very fickle as to what surfaces it'll adhere to.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've never had luck with Gorilla Glue. It's very fickle as to what surfaces it'll adhere to.
I've used it to bond non-porous ceramics, metals, and UHMWPE. One of the key issues most people run into with using Gorilla Glue is the lack of clamping during curing, which is critical. Gorilla Glue expands in volume during curing, so you need to keep a tight seal on the surfaces to ensure the bond sets correctly and doesn't expand and warp the bond line. Also, fully wet all surfaces. You don't get a good bond if you don't have enough water, as the stuff is moisture cured.

I'd not overthink this. Just buy any bonding glue at the local Home Depot. You're working with foam, so it's even more in your favor already, as you have a ton of surface area to promote adhesion.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I would honestly just get some Flex Tape or Flex Glue from the makers of Flex Seal. You can get it (or the tape at least) at just about any store that sells household miscellany or a big pharmacy. The tape isn’t double sided but it’s incredibly rubbery, gooey, and sticky, and you can easily bond just about anything together by making tiny rolls of the stuff as if you were taping a photograph to a wall. Then mush those rolls flat between the two objects you are sticking together. The stuff works incredibly well for a million house, garage, and automotive tasks. It’s like a cross between rubber, tar, and super glue.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Again, this needs no overthinking. The part is non-structural, bears no loading, and only exists as a spacer for the floor tray. You could spit on it and it would hold together enough to do what it's intended to do.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used it to bond non-porous ceramics, metals, and UHMWPE. One of the key issues most people run into with using Gorilla Glue is the lack of clamping during curing, which is critical. Gorilla Glue expands in volume during curing, so you need to keep a tight seal on the surfaces to ensure the bond sets correctly and doesn't expand and warp the bond line. Also, fully wet all surfaces. You don't get a good bond if you don't have enough water, as the stuff is moisture cured.

I'd not overthink this. Just buy any bonding glue at the local Home Depot. You're working with foam, so it's even more in your favor already, as you have a ton of surface area to promote adhesion.
You are most likely right as to why my efforts have failed with Gorilla Glue. The Super77 seems like the easiest solution though. Might give that a try and see. I realize it's just a foam space, but I didn't want to use any blue that'll melt the foam.

Right now, this holder is collecting dust, but I did want to repair the thing. Due to the distances I often have to drive at times, the spare is far more practical than the grocery bag holder. However, I absolutely love the thing, and was quite bummed out there wasn't a space int he S60 for a recessed spare. Necessitating I remove the grocery bag holder in favor of the Tempa Spare.

Already had 2 busted tires (nails in the side wall) where the spare saved my butt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts