SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been experiencing a groaning noise coming from the front suspensions when the steering is at full turn pulling into or out of a parking spot. My original thought was that it was the CV joint but when I took it to the mechanic it turned out that I had bad control arm bushings. I ordered a new set of front and rear control arm bushings for both control arms in the front plus new ball joints. After driving it a few days I still experienced the groaning noise although not as severe but still noticeable. Any ideas on what it could be? Maybe the mechanic didn't press the bushing in correctly.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: Groaning noise at full turn (volvofla)

I think I might have the same noise. Does it occur as you're unwinding the steering wheel (what I have) or does it happen while near full-lock and holding the wheel? The latter could be low PS fluid or dying PS fluid pump. Do you have the revised reservoir and pump? If you have what I have, then I have no idea. I've had my steering rack replaced twice already and the sound goes away for awhile but now it's back. I was thinking CV joints/ control arms but never actually checked.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
FV-QR

What kind of groan is it? The first thing that pops into my mind is tire rub...it's common with all R's, especially lowered R's. Other than that I have no idea what it could be. Good luck!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: FV-QR (Evos_R)

The noise occurs only when the wheel is at full lock and the car is in motion. Pretty sure its not power steering and positive it's not wheel rub since I have 15mm spacers up front. <p>The groan is like a pop-pop-pop noise like dragging a piece of rubber across a table as it catches and lets go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: FV-QR (volvofla)

could be the steering rack if you are driving a 2004 or 2005. I've heard they changed a few things on the last two years to address this problem. My bro has this same issue on his xc70. If that's the case, there might be nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would think the evolve springs u have would make the tires rub, even with the 15 mm spacers. To conform this turn the wheel completly to the left and look at the front drivers wheel well and if u see marks where the tire could rub then it's conformed. Obviously u do this when the car is not in motion and do the same to the other wheel but turn right

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: FV-QR (volvofla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>volvofla</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The groan is like a pop-pop-pop noise like dragging a piece of rubber across a table as it catches and lets go.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I'll tell you what, that sounds pretty similar to the noise my angle gear was making when it was leaking. After the re-seal that noise disappeared.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Groaning noise at full turn (volvofla)

Lube your steering stops (really)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts