SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if other forum readers have noticed an odd, coarse groaning or whining sound from the climate control system -- I suspect the compressor. My car does this and I am trying to determine if it's normal operation (and yet another example of the relative lack of refinement in the XC60) or if I need to have a dealer look at it. Actually, I am hoping others experience the same noise because Boston-area Volvo dealers and problem determination with first-time, accurate repairs are mutually exclusive things.

It's not fan noise, because if you turn up the fan speed manually, the sound doesn't get louder. In fact, higher fan speeds mask the whining noise. And, if you turn off the climate control system by turning the fan below its lowest speed, the groaning stops.

This sound is most noticeable at idle but can be heard until the the wind and road noise of the XC60 overpower it.

Have you ever noticed this from your climate control system?

·
Registered
72 Posts
It must be a treat of the model as I can always hear my XC60 before I spot it when the valet brings it.
A very distinctive and unique whine. But I hear that the Merc S class also has an unrefined clima noise.
;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I wonder if recall 253 applies here?

It's an adjustment of the thermal expansion valve (TXV) for a groaning noise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 2010 "grinds" also. I've taken it to two dealers and one said they couldn't hear anything (really??) and the other said it was "normal." The first would not even note it on the maintenance report but I insisted the second log something. I don't want to get a year to so down the road and have a $1500 bill to replace a compressor. I told the manager what I thought it was and reported it while still under warranty so hopefully if it craps out I have a little better standing getting them to fix it.

BTW, mine is louder at certain times and is not consistent. The last time I had it to the dealer it sounded like a coffee grinder but as soon as the service tech started it you could hardy hear anything.

John

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if recall 253 applies here?

It's an adjustment of the thermal expansion valve (TXV) for a groaning noise.
This is why I love the Internet: somebody always knows something. :)

The only link I could find for "recall 253" sure sounds like a potential hit.

Anyone want to make a bet our Boston-area Volvo dealers have never heard of it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2010 "grinds" also. I've taken it to two dealers and one said they couldn't hear anything (really??) and the other said it was "normal." The first would not even note it on the maintenance report but I insisted the second log something. I don't want to get a year to so down the road and have a $1500 bill to replace a compressor. I told the manager what I thought it was and reported it while still under warranty so hopefully if it craps out I have a little better standing getting them to fix it.

BTW, mine is louder at certain times and is not consistent. The last time I had it to the dealer it sounded like a coffee grinder but as soon as the service tech started it you could hardy hear anything.

John
I haven't tried to get if fixed yet -- but my car also varies in how loud and how often it happens.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Service campaign 254 is reported to prevent the noise (on the S60 forum).
Campaign 253 is mentioned, too: Thread on that:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?171393-Noisy-A-C-Compressor-tech-order-or-recall

Did you have the 254 work done (your reported getting a notice on that here)?

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?180567-Service-campaign-254

Just wondering since my S60 made a similar sound for the first time earlier this week.
I had never heard it before.
Yes, they did 254.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have this sound. It is bugging me, but it would bug me more to explain to my dealer who will eventually say either they cant hear it or it is normal... I dont think I had this noise when I bought the car...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Just noticed this at low volume...1 to two bars

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had the similar issues on my 12. after I drove it pretty hard a few months back.

it took the service dept 3 days to determine that it was the compressor. they had to get volvo's authorization to replace the parts and it was of course under warranty. Otherwise parts along is 700 plus labor.

you have to be firm when you are with the service rep. I had told them that I suspect it was the compressor and they told me it was not possible.

you will get the run around saying "they didn't hear it". you have to be firm. I would take your car back to where you purchased it... they should value your business.

-[•_•]-

·
Registered
89 Posts
You know I HEARD THIS NOISE TONIGHT IN MY XC60 at first I thought it was a CICADA had gotten behind the dash or something. Then the noise moved to being behind the dash.. its a noise like a cross between a groan or an insect chirp weird...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same noise in my 2009 down here in Brazil.....I will be searching for a quick fix, since I'm sure the repair will be 2-3x more expensive here

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anyone have any diagrams, is this something I could do myself since it wasn't recalled down here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been fighting this groaning or whining sound with the climate system for a few years now as well with my 2010 T6. Similar symptoms to what's described above. Groaning sound that can be stopped by manually turning off the climate fan. I'm out of warranty so I'm assuming that my dealer won't help me with the potential Thermal Expansion Valve adjustment without charging me an arm and a leg. Also the service notice only refers to the 2012 MY, so I'm sure that's a double knock against trying to get this fixed outside of warranty. Anybody have an actual copy of SC-253 or any other tips for a do-it-yourselfer to attempt to adjust the expansion valve myself?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not sure whether anyone is still interested. My new-to-me 2012 XC60 3.2 has the noise. I can only hear it at idle -- the moment I hit the gas or start moving, it's either eliminated, or it's just been drowned out by other normal engine noise. My TEV does not have the green/white sticker that SC-253 refers to -- so I can't tell whether I have the same TEV that was improperly adjusted, or whether it was already adjusted and someone removed the sticker. FWIW, the position of the detents in the end of the value suggests mine was in exactly the same position as Volvo depicts for valves PRIOR to the recommended adjustment change -- but I think that position was just an example. I know it was dumb, but I thought I would just turn the valve 110 degrees counterclockwise as the TSB describes. It didn't change anything, so I will be turning it back.

SC-254 seems more likely for me (if only because I don't have the sticker--not good logic). I think the suction hose redesign that is supposed to quiet down the noise (volvo calls it a drilling noise, which works better for me than a "grinding" or "groaning" or "whining" noise) is worth a try, but I have to wonder whether pressures are the main reason for any sort of noise, and the stock pipes would be quiet if the pressures were perfect.

I thought I'd add that I can ONLY hear the noise inside the car. The compressor is smooth and quiet when I stick ear close to it while the engine is idling. If the noise is the result of a vibration in one of the pipes that either resonates inside the car, or is actually causing something like the evaporator to contact something it should not normally be able to rub against, I'm not sure.

My A/C works well (I live in Central Florida), but it does blow just a little cold when I have the temp set low enough that there should be no heat mixing (e.g. set to 72F, it's 85F outside, and the air coming through the vents is so cold I have to direct it away from me). I think this might suggest a low refrigerant condition, but would need an A/C expert to confirm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Golf:

You described to a tee the characteristic sound made by my 2010 XC60 3.0 T6 AWD climate system. I learned to manage the sound over the years and have never tried repairing the system otherwise. I live close to the Gulf Coast too and as long as my A/C blows cold, I do not complain. The sound comes about whenever the automatic temperature control is set to plus or minus six degrees of the outside temperature. For example, I typically like the cabin temp at 70 or 72 degrees. If the outside temperature is also at that temperature, I will hear the 'drilling' sound. If I then set the inside temperature to say 66 or lower, no rattle. If I go the other direction and set the temperature to 78, nice and quiet. So to manage the situation, I either ignore the groan, or adjust the temperature control, or run the blower motor only (if the outside temperature is cool enough). Also this is an issue only during the cooler months of the year. When summer kicks in, with outside temperatures typically in the high nineties, I never notice the sound and the a/c system easily maintains a cool 70 degrees.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I posted an update to a thread I started when I bought this car. I've used pressure gauges and found that the full operating pressure was too low. Adding somewhere around 6 ounces of freon brought the pressure up to a normal range. Low side pressure was also within range, so I'm hoping the system is relatively healthy. I checked everywhere for leaks -- and I believe the high side service port schrader valve is leaking. With good pressure, the air is no longer uncomfortably cold, and the drilling noise is a bit less noticeable. Since there is no reason to evacuate the system at this point, I'm not considering the redesigned hose. When everything goes, I'll get a new compressor and condenser, and I might consider the redesigned hose at that time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts