SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

My wife took our '01 V70 T5MSR (Silver, Blk Leather,40K, CPO, Great Car) to our local dealer for the regular oil change. At the same time, I asked her to have them to check out a grinding/rubbing sound that happens at low speed and full wheel lock (both left and right).

Dealer technician said that the noise is from the steering system, and it is from a "mechanical stop" that makes noise prior to any further damage from occuring. Also, he said the front control arm bushings are worn and need replacing.

They ordered the following parts: 8630604 and 9443882, and scheduled her to bring the car in next week to have the new parts installed under the CPO warranty.

Are these the front tie rod ends that are frequently mentioned in other posts?

Not many miles on the car, and all checked out very well when I bought the car last December (I had another Volvo dealer check the car out before I bought it)

Any thoughts???

Later,

Mandar

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Grinding sounds at full turn... (mddighe)

Yeah, they're right.
Steering stops and maybe your tires are rubbing a bit. No, comtrol arm bushings are different from tie rods ends. They (tie rods) usually don't go until at least 60K usually much longer and that would be only if you've been driving on some very bumpy roads
You can order longer steering stops, they are available

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Grinding sounds at full turn... (JRL)

JRL...

Thanks for the reply!!!

So are these the steering stops or control arm bushings?

I was surprised when they mentioned rod ends given the car was not driven off road around Boston.

Having owned a couple of BMW 3 Series...I'm used to suspension work.

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Grinding sounds at full turn... (mddighe)

Steering stops and control arm bushings are different parts.
Steering stops are a 10 minute deal, control arms are much longer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.