SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...<p>My wife took our '01 V70 T5MSR (Silver, Blk Leather,40K, CPO, Great Car) to our local dealer for the regular oil change. At the same time, I asked her to have them to check out a grinding/rubbing sound that happens at low speed <U>and</U> full wheel lock (both left and right).<p>Dealer technician said that the noise is from the steering system, and it is from a "mechanical stop" that makes noise prior to any further damage from occuring. Also, he said the front control arm bushings are worn and need replacing.<p>They ordered the following parts: 8630604 and 9443882, and scheduled her to bring the car in next week to have the new parts installed under the CPO warranty.<p>Are these the front tie rod ends that are frequently mentioned in other posts?<p>Not many miles on the car, and all checked out very well when I bought the car last December (I had another Volvo dealer check the car out before I bought it)<p>Any thoughts???<p>Later, <p>Mandar<p>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Grinding sounds at full turn... (mddighe)

Yeah, they're right.<br>Steering stops and maybe your tires are rubbing a bit. No, comtrol arm bushings are different from tie rods ends. They (tie rods) usually don't go until at <B>least 60K</B> usually much longer and that would be only if you've been driving on some very bumpy roads<br>You can order longer steering stops, they are available

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Grinding sounds at full turn... (JRL)

JRL...<p>Thanks for the reply!!!<p>So are these the steering stops or control arm bushings?<p>I was surprised when they mentioned rod ends given the car was not driven off road around Boston.<p>Having owned a couple of BMW 3 Series...I'm used to suspension work.<br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Grinding sounds at full turn... (mddighe)

Steering stops and control arm bushings are different parts.<br>Steering stops are a 10 minute deal, control arms are much longer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts