SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a small problem with me 05 S40 T5 AWD for a few months but just the past 2 weeks or so has it begin to become really noticeable.

I noticed one morning 2 moths ago when accelerating hard right from a stop that there was sort of a grinding noise from my car, I dismissed this thinking I accelerated way too hard and I was putting too much of a strain on the engine.

Recently the sound has become more prominent and I have identified it as coming from the back right of the car. While the sound had only occurred before when I was accelerating into/out of a right hand turn, it is beginning to occur when I am accelerating from a stop (particularly when the car is cold).

My thoughts are leading me to believe it could be a right wheel bearing but I'm also concerned it could be a rear diff?? Some people told me CV joint but I'm not sure. What do you all think?

I know I need to take the car to a shop, I really haven't been able to though because of school and work. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
If you have a jack, lift up that corner and spin the wheel - if it's a bad bearing you should be able to hear some grinding noises, especially since it sounds like it is escalating.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Wheel bearings are easy to figure out - squealing or grinding noise appears when turning one direction but disappears when turning the other direction. The load/unloading effect on the bearing increases or decreases the noise.

If it's a clicking sound while turning, then it's the CV joint and you should find a torn boot somewhere.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like classic bad cv axle. I had the same grinding problem from my front right axle. CV axles can click when bad and also have grinding noises when the internal parts are damaged. Grinding happens Mostly when accelerating on turns and accelerating slowly or fast after cold start and accelerating from stop light braking to fast. I have also experienced grinding when vehicle is put into reverse or drive, while pushing brake pedal down. And can even cause clunking sounds while going over different bumps in road. Again this was my problem.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Figured out the issue! I was able to replicate the noise once while loading the engine with light throttle sitting still with the brakes on, so I knew it was either something internal/torque converter related, or a shifting engine. Keeping my fingers crossed, I loaded the engine while peeking under the open hood, and it shifted significantly up on the drivers side. Voila! (Volvo!) Torn transmission mount. This was on my list to replace with a poly unit anyway, so good news!

XC70 2011 D5

1 - 6 of 6 Posts