SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I'm having this odd issue that's developed over the past couple months. My 06' S40 T5 w. 119k miles used to make this odd howling noise when I turned the steering wheel all the way right, usually at low speeds around parking lots. But, it still made the noise when I was at a standstill as well. Recently, the howl went away and was replaced by what sounds (and feels, in the steering wheel vibrations) like a grinding noise. It's not as loud as the howl, but I'd still like to get an idea of what it is. Local mechanic told me to spray silicon lubricant at the base of the steering joints inside the car below the column, behind the pedals. Hard to tell if that's helping. I still get the grinding noise when turning all the way right, regardless of whether or not I'm rolling.

I'm thinking it has to be steering component related and not brakes or wheel bearings bc it happens at a standstill.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
When my passenger side motor mount turned bad I had some howling noise when making turns, mostly when turning right. Replaced that and the noise went away. However your noise can also be CV axle which a lot of members experienced.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey all!

I'm having this odd issue that's developed over the past couple months. My 06' S40 T5 w. 119k miles used to make this odd howling noise when I turned the steering wheel all the way right, usually at low speeds around parking lots. But, it still made the noise when I was at a standstill as well. Recently, the howl went away and was replaced by what sounds (and feels, in the steering wheel vibrations) like a grinding noise. It's not as loud as the howl, but I'd still like to get an idea of what it is. Local mechanic told me to spray silicon lubricant at the base of the steering joints inside the car below the column, behind the pedals. Hard to tell if that's helping. I still get the grinding noise when turning all the way right, regardless of whether or not I'm rolling.

I'm thinking it has to be steering component related and not brakes or wheel bearings bc it happens at a standstill.

Thoughts?
I had/still have this problem! It started when my alternator was replaced, and I was told by guys on here to take off and then put the alternator belt back on. never got around to doing it, but just thought id throw in my 2 cents. if you find out a cure for it please notify me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You may also want to have a look at the dust guard behind the rotors. Debris can get caught up there and cause noises wile turning. If you've run through some snow they can twist or be bent out of shape as well. Just check to see if it's clear all around.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You may also want to have a look at the dust guard behind the rotors. Debris can get caught up there and cause noises wile turning. If you've run through some snow they can twist or be bent out of shape as well. Just check to see if it's clear all around.
I don't think that would cause a noise if the wheels/rotors weren't spinning though. I had a similar sound from some mud caught in there and it only occurred when I was moving- especially when turning or going over bumps.

Maybe an issue w/ the power steering pump?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Sorry, my bad. Skipped over the part about standing still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts