SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

For some time now im having some grinding/chattering noise when accelerating mostly when going over a bump. but it will also do it when decelarating and accelerating on the flat road turning slightly to the right or sometimes even when in a straight line. When going left it was almost gone most of the time.

The noise is more when i driving it in the morning or when going back home. after a few km of driving the sound is getting less noticable. So when its cold its more noticable

What i replaced or did so far.(some were also needed to replace that had nothing to do with this sound i think)

Removed the axle from the AWD systems to the back
Replaced all shocks
Replaced rear springs
Replaced front rear lower bushings
Replaced right up and lower balljoint
Replaced the front right axle

At first i tought it was the angle gear sleeve or something so i took the axle out so i'm driving FWD now. But the sound it still the same

When the car is on jackstands i could not replicate the sound.

Opening the window of the car i could not hear it more or less.

Anyone? Its driving my nuts

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Motor mount. Probably the one at the front of the engine, where it hangs off the passenger-side inner fender. Second most likely is the rear mount, which supports the transmission below the battery.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there any way to diagnose them because if i rock the engine back and forth i dont hear anything. and yes i see a crack in the rubber top passenger mount

But they are not that expensive so maybe replace all

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Sure take them out and see if they come into pieces in your hands. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it worked, changed the front right passenger motormount and the sound is completely gone. No i can but the AWD back on and see if that was the only noise

I still think its weird, when i pulled the e-brake to make it FWD, the noise was gone. But now thinking about it, with AWD there would maybe be more stress on the complete system.

And yes it looked good from the outside but the rubber was seperated from the mount itself. It was a easy 10 min job

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Great! The AWD behavior is interesting. It makes sense though, the front axles place a force on the engine which rotates around the left-right axis, while the angle gear turns that force by 90 degrees. Combining those two forces will definitely stress the front mount more. Glad it's resolved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts