SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mysterios grind or rattle noise between 1800 and 2000 rpm. It is consistent in every gear and at idle with the clutch depressed. It doesnt happen at any other point in the power band. Has anyone experienced this or know what is causing it? I have checked common/ simple items like pulleys and heat shields etc. and was possibly thinking valves.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Does it do it in neutral? Clutch in or out? Follows rpm but does it change if engine is loaded or not?

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Penny in glove box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does no matter the combination of input. Clutch in/clutch out, slow or hard acceleration, always just in that rpm range.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've had 4 separate grind/rattle noises:
wheel bearing, mine made more noise when turning left.
front driveaxle, it made noise under acceleration.
angle gear, this noise was subtle, gradually becoming louder with time. Check the fluid and pray it's not metallic.
heat shield. Mine became loose and rattled against the driveline.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have a mysterios grind or rattle noise between 1800 and 2000 rpm. It is consistent in every gear and at idle with the clutch depressed. It doesnt happen at any other point in the power band. Has anyone experienced this or know what is causing it? I have checked common/ simple items like pulleys and heat shields etc. and was possibly thinking valves.
It sounds like the downpipe is rubbing on the lower heat shield. I'd get under the car and visibly inspect the lower heat shield, the downpipe sometimes makes contact at the drivers side rubber hanger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts