SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I just bought my first Volvo and it is a grey 2009 S40 2.4i. My friend and I just spent the day wrapping the door pillars in carbon fiber vinyl , I know not everyone likes that sorta thing but it turned out fantastic! So, I had been researching how to remove the grille over the past week and thought I understood the process. Unfortunately, I was not successful :/ I could barely locate the clips and even then I could not seem to coax them out. Has anyone had the same issue? I have already watched all the videos I can find pertaining to the subject so I am wondering if it has something to do with the way i am fidgeting with the butter knife. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had this exact same issue just the other day.. My s40 is a 2006 so the grills vary slightly but I'm sure they attach the same..

The biggest problem I had was that I didn't really know what I should be prying at in there, especially since the grill fits in so tightly. Once I pulled the grill over a bit to see each clip, I found that my best bet was to actually pry the slots on the bumper away from the grill tabs, instead of the other way around.

Once you realize how to get one or two free, the rest are easy.

Of course the alternative would be to pop the bumper off, which honestly isn't too bad..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, just pull down on it pretty hard, maybe shine a light in the crack, and you should at least be able to tell what you're doing.

I got my grill in and out before I ever pulled my bumper off, but on the older style s40s at least, it's so easy to pop the bumper on and off that I wish I would've just done that in the first place

If you can just figure out the tabs though, that would certainly keep it a bit simpler I suppose haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.