SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
I am wondering if anyone of you has done or know how the R-Design emblem is mounted on the front grill? I got one from IDP just to see want the back of the R-Design is shaped but I could figure out what it needs to secure it on the grill... I got future plans for the car
to get a polestar tune and I have other emblems in-mind that I want to place in between the openings on the grill.

thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I really hope you arent trying to make your car look to be an R design when it is not. Thats like replacing a 335 with M3 stickers all over.

Silly and pretty pretentios IMO.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahaha, I wouldn't do that.

I am just curious how the R-Design emblem it is mounted on the grill, as I have big future plans and projects if u see my sig. I would of gotten the R-Design but it doesn't offer dynamic 4C. plus Heico Sportiv kit looks far better than the factory RD. I am tempting to get the emotion. However, I'd rather get the polestar tune and have my 10 yr factory warranty.

I have learned my lesson from my last car, I am in talks with Heico NA... so hopefully I will have something to show not just talks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
hahaha, I wouldn't do that.

I am just curious how the R-Design emblem it is mounted on the grill, as I have big future plans and projects if u see my sig. I would of gotten the R-Design but it doesn't offer dynamic 4C. plus Heico Sportiv kit looks far better than the factory RD. I am tempting to get the emotion. However, I'd rather get the polestar tune and have my 10 yr factory warranty.

I have learned my lesson from my last car, I am in talks with Heico NA... so hopefully I will have something to show not just talks.
Just curious, what is meant by the prefer to keep the 10 year warranty? I was not aware of a 10 year warranty anyway. Also, I have had 2 completely done Heico Volvos (still have 1). Doing mods in itself does not void the warranty (if that was the point of Polestar over Heico). Voiding would only occur in a specific part found to have directly contributed to a failure (specifically). Not trying to preach, but it is a wide misconception that doing any mod (not done by Volvo) voids all warranties. Also, I am sure someone will correct me!
Please tell us about your lesson learned!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
indeed and I agree. the 5 year additional warranty was
purchased thru the dealership.

my old car, was a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, Stage I supercharged with I/H/E and ECU reflash. it was a great learning experience. it took me 2+ yr to build everything up and back then there was not a lot of Korean auto passion. However, it was my 1st car out of college and it made sense at the time. to build something unique has always been in my blood & it was a joy. Neverthrless, tuning and getting all the parts work right was time consuming and of course, every tuner can tell you, it's never enough. 2lbs of boost... 6lbs of boost, bigger injectors, air file ratio, short block, from 180 stock HP to 260whp to 300whp and you can take it all the way to 400whp... it goes on.

at the early stage of the build with just I/H/E it was never a big deal with the dealership to do regular checkup/ maintenance. However, when something does break, leak or needs to be fixed. The conversation always started with "hum... mr.wen, we noticed you have bolt on aftermarket parts and we think thats what caused the problem... so if you are looking to fix your break line.. it will be..."

it was almost more interesting after i get my car reflashed with the stage 1 SC MP64m blower. They simply refused to touch the car, even for an oil change and simply the warranty doesn't mean anything to them. Nothing was covered anymore. lol.

I get it... almost 80% of the car was aftermarket.

therefore with the XC60, I am going to take a bit more conservative approach. Its a DD between my girlfriend and I. She usually likes to set the ride quality on comfort/sport. She couldn't stand my previous ride bc its too stiff.

Future plan before the end of the summer, is to have a polestar tune done by the dealership, which I will register with polestar and it's backed by Volvo so it's a piece of mind kinda purchase.

heico will eventually be more of a exterior and interior dress up. however a $7000 BBK will make you think twice. Emotion is interesting, bc its a stand alone device and that is something i might consider down the road.

my goal here is to make something different yet elegant, not an AMG or M fighter like i tried to build my 12 second ride before to fight other imports.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ahh, OK, I see - that is pretty extreme tuning - I have only done chips, exhausts, and full suspension kits - everything else cosmetic (i.e. not much for the dealer to complain about). Nothing against Hyundai (they are getting better and better and there are models I like and have looked at), but would love to see younger tuners buy a 97 Volvo or something and tune it rather than a newer hyundai or Kia. It would probably cost less and have less problems too. Just my opinion though. Enjoy your Volvo, ever since I went Volvo years ago - they are all I have owned.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes sir, i sure will and i will keep everyone updated with my build.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am scared of what results you will get, as my last car I have over 10k invested in and was pushing the motor to its utter limits (429 rwhp in a VQ35).

I think for this car I am taking the plugging ears approach lol.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes sir, i agree, as if right now there will be no plans to take the xc60 to its limits other than the good polestar tune. haha.

yeah, its impressive to put all that 429rwhp on the ground.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So back to the emblem topic, this is the email i got from Brandon from IDP however, i did more research on Volvopartswebstore and apparently there is another part one can purchase for the "back"side of the R-Design emblem. I will report back once i get my hands on it.

"Hello,
The emblem has small retainer clips which are part of the plastic molding to which the emblem itself is adhered. The mounting clips "snap" onto the grille of the vehicles on which it was originally equipped. If your vehicle is not an "R Design" Volvo, it could be that you do not have the correct grille to accept the retainer clips on the back of the emblem.
If so, you may cut or shave the clips off back and use double sided tape or some other kind of adhesive in order to adhere the emblem to the surface you desire.

Thank you!

Brandon Weaver
Customer Service Representative"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts