SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a several hour drive up to the Denver area for some ice racing today I finally grenaded my transmission. I completely stripped out my whiny 6th gear by running some full torque through it, but I still had full use of all the others, so I turned back home about an hour and a half into the trip. As I exited and re-entered the interstate I could hear the remaining gears get worse and snapple and pop as the remaining gear sets chewed on the broken gear teeth that were now migrating around the transmission. It appears the big magnet in there can only handle catching so much debris.

But I will give the dying transmission credit for limping me all the way back 150 miles right back into my driveway and saving me a big towing bill and headache. Judging by the last few shifts I had to throw the tranny is now filled with all kinds of glitter and debris so the autopsy is sure to be interesting. Sounded like someone shaking a can full of pennies as I made the final drive up my street lol.

All that being said, I now ponder my options. I had consider finding a used unit, especially since I believe volvo lists the tranny for over $3K, but I now see there are new units available in germany for $1650 + shipping. If shipping isn't that bad I think I will go that route since I was prepared to pay almost that much for a good used unit. A new tranny would be a nice compliment for my motor project too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GETRIEBE-M66-FUR-VOLVO-S60-1-S80-1-V70-2-T5-2-5T-2005-NEU-15-/251949930243

Any thoughts or opinions on good replacement transmission sources as I wait to hear back what the shipping time and costs are to see if this is a practical option?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Personally speaking, I would go for that new unit. That's actually far less than I would have expected, but the exchange rate is working to our advantage right now. Of course, if they tell you several hundred to ship it, it won't be as appealing. If you can get away with $2k +/- for a brand spanking new trans, I would do it. I'm not familiar with the gear ratios across the S60 platform so I would make sure you are getting a direct replacement or understand the differences before going for it.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Bummer, I just translated some text from that trans ad that I recognized with my limited German knowledge...

Nur für genannte Modelle mit 2WD/ nicht für AWD

means...

Only for models with 2WD called / not for AWD

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'd pay $2K for a brand spanking new tranny too, so I'm hoping shipping is reasonable for it to get here. Has anyone ever shipping something as big and heavy as a transmission from europe to the US to know about what that costs? Already sent a message to the seller asking but I'm dying to know.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Put an LSD in it while you're at it

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I did find a number of used options for you on www.car-part.com

You're looking at $1000-1600 for a used trans.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer, I just translated some text from that trans ad that I recognized with my limited German knowledge...

Nur für genannte Modelle mit 2WD/ nicht für AWD

means...

Only for models with 2WD called / not for AWD
Darn, I missed that too. Looks like this seller has a line on new volvo trannys though so I may have to drop them a line to see how much they will get me a new R tranny for since I don't see one listed.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I was thinking that too... it's certainly worth a shot.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for the link, I see an 2007 88K mile unit there for $995 that would have to ship from CT.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Right. That's where I bought a motor for my last car(an Acura). For something like this though, I would check with Erie-Vovo. They list on car-part.com but they don't have an AWD M66 listed at the moment. Many times they will have units in stock that they haven't yet listed anywhere. If you call and they have one, it probably would be around $2000, so you'd come in at or under budget and have the lifetime warranty to boot.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Speaking from experience getting a trans from Germany will cost you more.
I quoted a mountain bike from germany. It was $1600 in DHL. Plus 15% duties.
ya

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeppers, curiosity will certainly cause me to open her up and look at the carnage. At least I won't have to listen to that top gear whine any longer, lol.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
If you don't already have 05+ shifter cables now is the time. Dude this sucks. If I were you I'd almost consider buying a reman Volvo one... $3k wouldn't be that bad... if it was 3k delivered.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts