SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Greetings, New R owner here.. S60R in Everett WA.

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  M_RED_S60R 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Volvo fans,

I just picked up a 2004 S60R 6spd and stumbled upon this forum. I'm in Everett WA. This is my first Volvo and i picked it up on a whim. It's too filthy for pictures, but its dark gray, blue leather, and the interior shows its lived a life full of kids and possibly a dog or two. Its been driven for sure, 170K miles, however, the carfax is clean and it has 3 pages of service records. Even oil changes were done at the dealer!

I have played with a few turbo'd Mitsubishis, Hondas and older bmws the past (and a brief stint with an XJ Cherokee..), and I am not afraid to turn my own wrenches, so I hope this super sleeper sedan ends up being a fun daily / project car. Also I promise to use the "search" function before posting dumb questions..

Thanks,

J

#4 ·
Also I promise to use the "search" function before posting dumb questions..
:thumbup:

But seriously, welcome. I'll offer up my first piece of information for ya (useless as it may be): Your exterior and interior colors are officially "Titanium Gray" and "Nordkap Blue Metallic"

The main maintenance items to try and find in the records you have are timing belt service, suspension refresh, PCV service, slave cylinder/clutch replacement, wheel bearing replacements, spring seat replacements, spark plug/ignition coil replacement, and maybe some other ones I'm forgetting. Knowing when these were done will help give you a sense of your upcoming maintenance costs and priorities.

If you're going to be turning your own wrenches, you're going to want to consider buying VIDA/DICE. It's the communication tool for our caRs and it is incredibly useful for diagnosing problems.

#6 ·
Welcome. Another Pac NW R Owner too. Though activity has dropped off locally the past few years, there are still annual gtg's up in BC that I've attended a few times. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Welcome to the original 2nd gen R's club :). This being an 04 look to see if the early bugs were fixed. I do not remember all of them but some: fuel pressure sensor, shifter cables, AM reception (if you care about that), angle gear sleeve replacement, loose shifter knob, a bunch of software patches, angle gear case breather.

#8 ·
What's "AM reception"? ;) :p

#9 ·
Yeah... the service records were immaculate. They didn't miss a single factory recommended service, and they all happened within about 500 miles of the suggest mileage. No open recalls, good records of software updates, new struts about 35K miles ago, timing belt done at 105K, however, cosmetically, the interior is trashed, it needs a thoroughly cleaning and detailing but I figured the mechanical bits seem to be pretty solid..

well mostly..

I think the AWD system might be f*cked, there seems to be a bit more wheel spin than I would expect before the back catches up. I think it eventually does, so I am hoping it is pump or DEM related instead of anglegear/transfer-case stuff... At odd random times I hear a whining/ electrical motor/pump failing type noise, but it is really sublte...THere is no check engine light on, and it seems to drive smoothly, no terrible mechanical crunching noises.. This weekend in the garage and a stop by a parts store to check error codes should be enlightening...

#10 ·
The first test you wanna do for your awd is on dusty pavement floor the car from a start and if the fronts keep spinning your awd is not working, there should be no spinning at all and the back power should activate instantly. With dstc turned off in the snow you can floor the car from start and if awd works you should be able to do a 4wburnout pretty easily. If your angle gear is toasted i highly doubt the gears would engage from time to time, its either they are stripped or still holding on. But in most cases the collar sleeve strips before the angle gear and your angle gears can actually eat trought a couple of these sleeves before having no teeths left. If you do the test and sometimes you get no front spin it might be eletrical related, several components can fall in order to keep your awd from working properly, pump, pressure solenoid, haldex or even the fuse.

#11 ·
Welcome! I live in Monroe [emoji5] let me know if you need anything! We do all our own work on our R's my VR has AWD gone to sh*t issues. I ended up sending the haldex unit out for refurbish and now I need a new pump. Tis the season, right? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Welcome!

Intermittent AWD or delayed AWD function is the DEM or pump malfunction in some way. If the collar gear was stripped, you would just have no AWD at all. If you've got heaps of torque steer, you need to take a look at the system. Scanning with VIDA will tell you what error you have if it's DEM/pump related.

#13 ·
Mine was the pump and when the pump malfunctions for long enough you fry the DEM. Get it fixed asap. the DEM refurb. Cost me ~$350 and the pump $230

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
#15 ·
i used these guys to get my dem rebuilt

#18 ·
If you don't have VIDA and DiCE unit, I have both and am in Kent, but am willing to help diagnose your care if you need some time to diagnose any problems. Work by the UW so if you needed something during the week, might be able to arrange it.

#20 ·
Welcome, a wealth of knowledge on this forum. +2 on checking collar, check intercooler hoses for cracks or holes, all the usuals like MAF and TCV/BCS. Always good to dump a boost gauge on it if only to see boost is there. Welcome to the forum, R.

#21 ·
Welcome in the Forum & wish you long-long trouble free miles!

#22 ·
Thanks everyone, This forum rocks, and I have learned a ton in the last week. I had no idea how much more complex the AWD in these cars are compared to the awd eagle talon and awd dodge stealth I have played with in the past... It is actually kinda frightening!

I think I have confirmed the lack of AWD due to a failed collar sleeve thing.. I have not used the VIDA/DICE thing yet, (I hope to pick one up after the holidays...) but a regular ODBII scanner only showed one code for a fuel pressure sensor with the error reading too high.. The Ultragauge scanner that I borrowed from a friend seems to corroborate that failure as I see fuel pressure sensor read up to 111psi. I'm pretty sure that is wrong... But anyways.. jacking up the passenger front wheel, and spinning the tire, the rear drive shaft does not spin. The angle gear doesn't seem to be leaking or seeping, and from what I can physically grab and yank around (grabbing the drive shaft), the bearings in the angle gear seem fine too, (for what it is worth...) . SO I guess it is time to swap out the collar gear.

The million dollar question is,,, do I attempt this myself, or is there a small local independent shop that could pull the collar gear out with out trying to force a bunch of other needless repairs. Since it is the holidays, I could almost justify letting shop do it and not spend part of my vacation on a cold garage floor. I am a little bit afraid of getting it all apart, and getting stuck trying to remove the collar.. My car has higher miles, 170K, and has been all over the states.. I think she has stayed out of the states that use salt in the winter, so I don't see much surface rust underneath, but it has lived near the sea in SoCal...

Is the VIDA/Dice critical to get the collar gear out? Most of the threads on the subject have gotten so old, no pictures are still being hosted, so I am not sure how complete they are in terms of a "how-to".... It kinda sucks there isn't a regular .pdf of the repair manual....

Any thoughts on the matter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.