SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was installing the IPD HD lower transmission torque mount yesterday, and everything was going according to plan. I went to remove the last bolt (that goes through the hole circled in green in the picture below), and it torque sheared the bolt right of. I was dumb and using a giant wrench to get it of, and just thought it was extra snug... nope it was seized.

So now I 3/4 of a seized bolt stuck in the lower transmission mount hole on the transmission. None of left behind bolt is showing, so the part where it broke is flush with the hole.

So... what are my options? Do I have to have someone drill it out and re-thread the hole for a bigger bolt? Is this process common and/or easily done?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Do I have to have someone drill it out and re-thread the hole for a bigger bolt? Is this process common and/or easily done?
You answered your own question. You'll need to drill out what's left of the sheared bolt, and basically rethread the hole again with a die-tapper. Huge PITA really and next time, use PB Blaster and a proper wrench.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You answered your own question. You'll need to drill out what's left of the sheared bolt, and basically rethread the hole again with a die-tapper. Huge PITA really and next time, use PB Blaster and a proper wrench.
Uhhh he didn't say he used the wrong wrench, those bolts are extremely sensitive to heat apparently and will seize sometimes. I've seen it a few times over the years

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
that sucks dude sorry to hear. Luckily when I changed mine out a proper wrench did the job and the bolts came out smooth as silk. Looks like your gonna have to drill it out and re-thread

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
try some brake fluid, stuff works fantastic on bolts that have been exposed to heat. make sure you put a good rag under the area you are applying as it will take paint off. as for the bolt i would attempt and easy out to remove it instead of drilling the whole thing out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You don't necessarily have to drill it out and re-thread...

It sounds unlikely that you'll be able to tap it out with a hammer and drift (in a counter-clockwise fashion). But I'd recommend trying some easy-outs.

Check it out:

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you do have to drill it, go and buy 3 or 4 cheap drill bits. It will make it easier. I had to drill out 10 bolts that held a pressure plate onto a flywheel one time. Had 5 bits to do the job and sprayed on blaster every 5 to 10 seconds.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Better than pb blaster would be proper cutting oil. You can never use too much.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I mean it won't be hard to re-thread the hole, but taking the sheared bolt off is gonna suck... Spray some PB-blaster or something that others have suggested, and use a bolt extractor. Hope that works out for ya man!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Steel on aluminum. Sux. I would suggesta little anti-seize you use for the plugs when you reassemble it all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have access to a welding machine, you could try to weld a nut onto the sheared bolt and removed it, it's sad to see that the 5 previous answers only propose PB blaster... If you must drill into the bolt, use DeWalt Pilot point bits, those helped me a lot with sheared bolts on the R. If you scrap the hole, you will have the option to use an Helicoil, which is a spring that threads into a bigger hole and offers a smaller threaded one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts