SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already starting to regret buying this car...

Started noticing little oil puddles in the garage about 2 weeks ago. Finally got the chance to take it to an indepedent Volvo shop this morning. Guy called to say that the bevel gear has a small leak, but that there's another seal at the back of the transmission that is leaking - he said there are two different colors of oil. He's actually not comfortable doing the second seal - said he's never done one before and has no idea what's in there, and that doing one without the other is pointless. He recommended going to the dealer.

Anyone know what seal he's talkin' about? I don't really have access to a lift to get under this thing and see what he means...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Already starting to regret buying this car...

Started noticing little oil puddles in the garage about 2 weeks ago. Finally got the chance to take it to an indepedent Volvo shop this morning. Guy called to say that the bevel gear has a small leak, but that there's another seal at the back of the transmission that is leaking - he said there are two different colors of oil. He's actually not comfortable doing the second seal - said he's never done one before and has no idea what's in there, and that doing one without the other is pointless. He recommended going to the dealer.

Anyone know what seal he's talkin' about? I don't really have access to a lift to get under this thing and see what he means...
You own a viper. This repair is minute to the amount it would cost to repair most things on the Viper. Reseal, maybe new bevel gear.....$2500 out the door.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
You own a viper. This repair is minute to the amount it would cost to repair most things on the Viper. Reseal, maybe new bevel gear.....$2500 out the door.
Something tells me that him owning a viper won't make him any happier about possibly dropping $2500...

The angle gear could just need a reseal which is relatively inexpensive. Do you have pictures of the second leak?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Something tells me that him owning a viper won't make him any happier about possibly dropping $2500...

The angle gear could just need a reseal which is relatively inexpensive. Do you have pictures of the second leak?
Nonetheless.

Does the bevel gear look like so? This is the sign of a reseal....doesn't particularly need a new gear itself. A reseal would run you at about $800.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Wow! Does the Viper really use the same transmission as all the GM LSx 6 speed cars?!

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I've spent $2,500 on the Viper since I bought it... It's also never broken...

I'd rather spend $100 on some oil and top off the piece of sh!t until I can sell it. :)

I'll try to get a picture of what he's talkin' about. Right now I need a few more hours in the day...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts