SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2018 S90 this issue with Gracenote irritates me every time I drive the car. Is there any way to completely turn it off? I listen mostly to jazz and I guess since a good amount of the music and artists that I listen to are not very popular, Gracenote replaces their names with something else. It comes up with names like Holly Johnson instead of Henry Johnson, and countless other incorrect names. It makes it difficult for me to find some songs because the artists' names are so messed up. I've meticulously gone through all of my mp3 metadata to make sure everything is correct. I notice that if I place the USB drive in after the car starts and after Gracenote has already loaded, the artists will display properly for a while and then revert to the Gracenote after a while. I've tried changing the volume label on the USB drive, Disabling Gracenote in the Sensus settings, I have the latest Gracenote update, and nothing seems to work. Is there a way to clear the cache in Gracenote and completely shut it off even when I start the car? I just want the data from the USB drive to display, not information from some other database. Is this so difficult?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I own a 2018 S90 this issue with Gracenote irritates me every time I drive the car. Is there any way to completely turn it off? I listen mostly to jazz and I guess since a good amount of the music and artists that I listen to are not very popular, Gracenote replaces their names with something else. It comes up with names like Holly Johnson instead of Henry Johnson, and countless other incorrect names. It makes it difficult for me to find some songs because the artists' names are so messed up. I've meticulously gone through all of my mp3 metadata to make sure everything is correct. I notice that if I place the USB drive in after the car starts and after Gracenote has already loaded, the artists will display properly for a while and then revert to the Gracenote after a while. I've tried changing the volume label on the USB drive, Disabling Gracenote in the Sensus settings, I have the latest Gracenote update, and nothing seems to work. Is there a way to clear the cache in Gracenote and completely shut it off even when I start the car? I just want the data from the USB drive to display, not information from some other database. Is this so difficult?
Have you tried to reinstall the Gracenote update from May 2017? Just a thought in case your S90 was an early MY18 build.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answe...IUlJmM0h2dlYxTjVzNnJkaFQ1aWdBYmVFVDlRJTIxJTIx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to reinstall the Gracenote update from May 2017? Just a thought in case your S90 was an early MY18 build.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answe...IUlJmM0h2dlYxTjVzNnJkaFQ1aWdBYmVFVDlRJTIxJTIx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, I mentioned in my post that I upgraded to the latest Gracenote. It did not make a difference. It's a shame that a fundamentally decent stereo system is crippled by this annoyance that Volvo won't get rid of or at the least allow you to disable it completely.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hmm Strange i dont have this issue at all but most MP3 i listen to from old days when Napster was around :) Maybe thats why Gracenote cant really tell whats going on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anybody finds a way to disable Gracenote I'd love to find out. I have the same issue, predominantly in classical music. Incorrect artist names are the most common problem. Generally, pop/rock/top-40 stuff is fine. It's the more obscure stuff that is pretty badly whacked.

Extremely irritating that the car replaces my own tags with (incorrect) ones. It would be nice if I could somehow replace the Gracenote database in the car with a 0-length file...

·
Registered
594 Posts
bump.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It is shocking to see I cannot play a whole album unless it is from the same artist, or play all songs from an artist independently of albums.

2010 BMW 5-series technology did a much better job at sorting, categorizing and above complaints...RIDICULOUS!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have noticed a few incorrect album titles being listed for the music I listen to. However all of those were albums released after May 2017, so they are not in the May 2017 update.

On the subject of disabling Gracenotes - can the Gracenotes file be deleted from the car, or maybe be updated with an empty file with the same filename?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have noticed a few incorrect album titles being listed for the music I listen to. However all of those were albums released after May 2017, so they are not in the May 2017 update.

On the subject of disabling Gracenotes - can the Gracenotes file be deleted from the car, or maybe be updated with an empty file with the same filename?
googled for hours. no solution found.

·
Registered
594 Posts

found this solution, willing to try it out. Will let you know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Contacted Stocis and he advised he had not tried the interrupted update. I tried it and no good. Gracenote same crap as before. Must be update is completed before applying which is how most updates work.

Got rubbish reply from Volvo UK Customer Services when I asked why the downloadable DB was so old. Referred me to the dealer. I referred their reply to the Volvo UK General Manager. Well I am furloughed so have plenty of time on my hands.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You can try this as well.
The method above did not work for me.
However I got no ‘update available’ etc.
Just the crappy no album art / wrong info and no way to completely remove the service.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It's not just Gracenote... the whole file management system is atrocious. With B&W, I have been wanting to listen to uncompressed music... so I copied a bunch of tracks on a USB stick... it took an incredible amount of work to retag everything, avoid folders, etc. - and the result is still clunky, hard to sort, etc. The lack of an on-board hard drive to store music on a $4k premium system is also extremely awkward. It's two decades behind the curve, at least.

You can find a lot of threads here on how to organize files and how to minimize Gracenote problems. But I have been driving SPA cars since 2016 and I have eventually given up.

Navigation - voice controls - and music storage are three things SPA vehicles really, truly suck at. I guess most people rely on their phones... but, if you want decent audio source material, you are forced to deal with Gracenote...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've not had problems with mislabeled files, but the main issue I encounter is that while most CDs I transfer to a thumb drive are OK, many will not display as complete "albums". Individual tracks are missing but can be found by searching by artist or song title.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts