SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got rear-ended 3 weeks ago.<p>A guy in a Thunderbird 79 stopped real close, good thing I always keep a good distance in front, so when I was stopped in traffic and saw he had a hard time stopping, I released the brake pedal and got inches to the car in front.<p>Just when the car in front started moving again, I can see the guy in the T-Bird get hit real bad (he got whiplash) and in turn his full-steel body 1 1/2 tone ramrod hit me not so fast, but with the might of it's mass and dang I sure felt it.<p>Turns out some chick in a 2008 Civic had rear-ended him at a pretty nice speed. So her car was trashed, she hit the steering wheel (bizarrely the air bag did not deploy) and she broke her nose.<p>The T-bird had of course just a bit of damage, but the driver got whiplashed and went to the hospital after that (so told me the chick's insurance).<p>I personally did not have any injury. The rear-fender had a bit of bruising but not too much.<p>Turns out the steel sub-frame took the energy of the impact and got deformed as expected, and that cost the young lady's insurance about $4000 to fix.<p>The body shop had to chop off the subframe parts, weld new ones, paint and detail. <p>I am picking up my S60 tomorrow. I was under the impression they considered totaling, but since it is an 02 with not a lot of miles on it (something like 65K), I guess it would have been more expensive this way.<p>I can't wait.<p>But that's a good testimony of the solidity of Volvos.<p>FYI, I took the same exact hit with my Toyota in September and it was trashed.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
take a VERY close look at the frame before you let the insurance company close this out<p>our structural parts are made of boron steel - they can never be straightened and they MUST be <u>properly</u> cut and welded or you are in a life time of heart ache with the car.<p>make SURE you keep all the documentation so you can report any further issues to her policy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: (cmurphy2266)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>cmurphy2266</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's also good that you get your S60 back.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>? That is strange.<p>I would much prefer to get the cash and buy a new car ... I wouldn't want a crash repaired car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, SML at one time I was hoping it would be totaled but it was apparently not damaged enough. I think a little bit more and it would have worked. Anyway the car works just as good, no issues, and it was detailed impeccably.<p>I also got passed by a ricer who gave me the finger, I got back up to him when he almost lost it at 115 mph, and I still was 75% to the bottom.<p>Aaah it felt so good.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (SML)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>SML</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>? That is strange.<p>I would much prefer to get the cash and buy a new car ... I wouldn't want a crash repaired car.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yeah, I guess you're right. I was just saying it's good he didn't have much trouble with the insurance company.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: (SML)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>SML</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>? That is strange.<p>I would much prefer to get the cash and buy a new car ... I wouldn't want a crash repaired car.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>If my car got hit, I would want it repaired. Sometimes you get such a good deal on a car you wouldn't be able to replace it with the insurance money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts