SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got pulled over last night with regards to my exhaust.

The officer stated his claim and told me if he witnesses me operating my motor vehicle again he will issue me a citation and after that if he were to again witness me operating my motor vehicle he would call in a flatbed and impound the vehicle.

The police officer pulled me over for the reason that my aftermarket exhaust is classified as illegal due to the fact that it is used to enhance the sound of my vehicle past that of the stock exhaust system.

As per Section 266:59 I am doing nothing of the sort:

The REPEALED section once read:

No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in any manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted above that emitted by the original muffler installed in the vehicle and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this section.
This was repealed and replaced with article IV posted above.

As per emissions statutes in the state of NH I have all that is required to pass inspection so that is not in question.

Even in TOWN ordinances for noise prevention a muffler is defined as stated above by state law. The only loop hole regards the use of dB's which states:

No person will operate, within the limits of the town, any vehicle which will emit noise which will exceed the standard noise level of the town established for the size vehicle when used under ORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES. For non-commercial vehicles, the standard noise level of the town is hereby established as follows:

Maximum Noise Level: 76 dB
I can most certainly confirm and I would be willing to receive verification that my exhaust system operating under ORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES comes nowhere close to 76 dB.

Given the information above, I surely believe that I am in the right. Connor and I had a conversation about this last night and I agree with the fact that I should go report the officer's use of a repealed law as reason to pull me over as it is unlawful and unconstitutional. I just hate being hassled about the R because it makes my commute so much more pleasurable. This impacts me greatly as I spend about 50+% of my time in Hampstead working.

I'm also consulting with the chief of police of an area town(family friend) regarding the situation which will help me determine where I stand as well.

What do you think?

·
6,436 Posts
Well - the facts are stated above.
I think you should do a dB read of your exhaust at about 3RPM. Just have someone rev up your engine and you stand by your muffler with a probe. Make sure everything is documented on film (Or actually take it to a shop and have them do it...get a printout from them too). Then show the evidence to a judge and have a copy with you in case you get pulled over again.

Sorry about your troubles man...this sucks. Although i HOPE you have a CAT in your OBX coz then the law, myself and many others will be against you:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
I think you should do a dB read of your exhaust at about 3RPM. Just have someone rev up your engine and you stand by your muffler with a probe. Make sure everything is documented on film (Or actually take it to a shop and have them do it...get a printout from them too). Then show the evidence to a judge and have a copy with you in case you get pulled over again.

Sorry about your troubles man...this sucks. Although i HOPE you have a CAT in your OBX coz then the law, myself and many others will be against you:facepalm:
He most certainly has a cat! Documentation is always a great idea. His exhaust is loud, but it's really not THAT loud.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I do have everything in my exhaust system. I also have a few updates regarding the situation at hand.

Unfortunately the records haven't placed yet and I cannot get the officer's name from last night. I spoke with the on duty officer today and he expressed that I cannot modify my exhaust from stock....which is once again INCORRECT as my exhaust is certainly under 76dB at normal operating circumstances so now I ride it out and see if the officer does in fact give me a citation which will be fought in court and I will win. It's always the short pigheaded cops who think they are hot **** as expressed by my Chief of Police friend. lol.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
dB test is done at 2500RPM and should read less than 91.9; that same rule was in Italy, Hawaii (if I remember correctly) and Pennsylvania as that's something I had to deal with 2 times (my dad confirmed the Italy one was 99.9 as I just asked him, for him to get a code acceptance for american car to drive there, that is what he had to do), the Hawaii and Pennsylvania one is from personal experience being pulled over and having to prove. Irony is that I got pulled over in Pennsylvania in my Saleen for exhaust too loud and it was 'stock' exhaust and had to prove it in court.

I know Italy, PA, HI are not where you live or got pulled over but rules should be similar. If you're going to fight it, start at the basic as tomedkaz suggested, get an official dB test done and have the results recorded/logged and take it to court. The officer can only go by his judgement, he gave you essentially a fix it or tow it ticket... my Harley only produced 106dB and we all know how loud they are so how can he be so sure you're above the suggested frequency?

Keep us posted!! Good luck and sorry to hear!!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Correction, this caused me to look at my ticket (I keep all tickets, haha, I have folder for each state I get them in my filing cabinet! haha) anyhow, its 85.9 in PA. Nonetheless, this is not your state, we know that, just saying that get an official dB test.

Glad you are not too worried and done your homework though, just irritated I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction, this caused me to look at my ticket (I keep all tickets, haha, I have folder for each state I get them in my filing cabinet! haha) anyhow, its 85.9 in PA. Nonetheless, this is not your state, we know that, just saying that get an official dB test.

Glad you are not too worried and done your homework though, just irritated I'm sure.
Any idea where I can get one of these tests done. Yes Irritated indeed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS MY INPUT :)

you jinxed your self btw lol

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol I have enough hooplah going on with the cause that he wouldn't dare ticket me. I have so many officers in on this he would look like a tardvark.

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts

Pretty sure your the jinxed one ;) we at 11 or 12? Lol

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Be familiar with relevant vehicle code sections and maybe find a recognized referee station that can record the actual exhaust decibel reading when/if you need it, I don't know what else you can do. Unfortunately, some officers don't give a rip about being shown what's technically correct, they do what they want and you're stuck dealing with it (and paying for it with time and/or money).

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be familiar with relevant vehicle code sections and maybe find a recognized referee station that can record the actual exhaust decibel reading when/if you need it, I don't know what else you can do. Unfortunately, some officers don't give a rip about being shown what's technically correct, they do what they want and you're stuck dealing with it (and paying for it with time and/or money).
Truth be told he heard me accelerate in a brisk manner and was pissed he couldn't clock me. So he got all angry and pulled me over and forced some repealed bull**** to try and scare me.

Time indeed, I would take it to court and win and prove my point as I spend far too much time around here I wouldn't mind inciting some fear in the Local PD that I mean business. Just means I have to leave messing around and fun for elsewhere and drive in a civil manner here in town....WHATEVER haha

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Dude WTF? My friend has a 2005 GT mustang that is so loud on acceleration you can hear it from miles away, and he's never been pulled over for his exhaust.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got pulled over yesterday for my exhaust cutout, cop came up to me and asked me to rev the engine for him, he loved it, TN cops are the best. But really though I had no problem in Mass with and exhaust cutout or anywhere else, so I do not see how your catback can be too loud. Thats BS

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
I got pulled over yesterday for my exhaust cutout, cop came up to me and asked me to rev the engine for him, he loved it, TN cops are the best. But really though I had no problem in Mass with and exhaust cutout or anywhere else, so I do not see how your catback can be too loud. Thats BS
I want a cutout lol. Where did you purchase yours

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
A while back I got pulled over and received a ticket for:
"Unexpected sudden burst of acceleration":eek::rolleyes:

Went to court and judge asked me what kind of car I drive. Told him, Volvo station wagon.

It was immediately dismissed.:D

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A while back I got pulled over and received a ticket for:
"Unexpected sudden burst of acceleration":eek::rolleyes:

Went to court and judge asked me what kind of car I drive. Told him, Volvo station wagon.

It was immediately dismissed.:D
Lol I can't wait to go to court and say ummmm Volvo s60....

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
In California, we have what's called Referee Stations that test for the state and issue certificates for noise inquiries or fix it tickets.

I don't know much about NH, but I did glance over at a few articles and it seems they are cracking down on noise, starting with motorcycles. What I noticed in every article is they gave specifics in the DB level and I would assume if they are doing it by DB levels, they would need a meter.

I think the smart thing to do is visit a local Sub Station where the troopers come out of... preferably not the one the officer you got came out of... and I would inquire about it there. Ask about DB levels, testing and such. If you go in there as a law abiding citizen wanting to correct something that you had no knowledge about... and maybe under the premise that you bought a used car with this setup, you would get answers to see if it's legit, where to test and get honest feedback. I’d also collect a business card from a trooper in charge at that station.

I did the same with the CHP when I had my Honda XS-2. I had stopped by the station that handles the Grapevine because that is a main travel point for me from Southern to Northern California and they are the toughest to deal with. I learned about referee stations and such, went to one and carried the certificate. Most of the officers at that station were doing a shift change at the time, so it was a way for most of them to look at the car and they took an interest in it. Because the XS-2 was only sold to southern California, there wasn't much information on it and I could have been pulled over for the exhaust. I never had a problem after the visit.

That’s where I would start.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Blake, show more skin next time! Perhaps a nipple or two. Probably won't help but I always wanted to see a thread called "I got tasered in the R" thread.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts