SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my OSD confirmation package today. I am very excited to finally get a replacement for my aging XC90. It has served us well but it is time to update it.

The fun part starts now: the planning of the trip! We are thinking of driving to Norway's fjords since we've already driven around the southern part of Sweden (gorgeous, if you ask me).

So far, our plan includes Oslo and Bergen. If you have any other ideas, let them be heard! :p

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Check out the latest issue of Conde Nast Traveler mag. They have a driving trip spec'd out for Norway and I believe it talks about restaurants as well. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looked like an interesting route.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Excited for you!!!! Have a great time with the planning....it's a lot of the fun!!!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
When are you planning the trip?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When are you planning the trip?
We have a date of april/4 so spring should be arriving by then :)

Thanks for the ideas. I haven't seen that magazine but I'll look it up.

Rjukan seems to be a bit out of the way (on route 37), but I'll consider it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'll take a look at that site. I've been using some of the ideas from the self-drive trips shown in norway.nordicvisitor.com as a general template.
We are planing about 2 weeks with the idea of taking it easy and without rushing through.

On our last OSD, we allowed a bit of extra time which allowed us to visit things that although some were closed for the season (we went in late November), we could still enjoy the Swedish friendliness and their beautiful landscape. We've been dreaming for a "repeat" ever since.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We have a date of april/4 so spring should be arriving by then :)

Thanks for the ideas. I haven't seen that magazine but I'll look it up.

Rjukan seems to be a bit out of the way (on route 37), but I'll consider it.
We went early April but chose to go south, it was still fairly chilly and wet.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our current idea is to visit Oslo and Bergen primarily as we have visited already southern Sweden in a previous OSD trip.
We are thinking of trying to see some of the fjords and may be even check out the Jostedal Glacier, if time and weather permit.
We won't be able to make it to the arctic circle though. That will be for another trip ;)

We fully expect that the weather won't be wonderful but that's ok.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi there!

When we went to see Geirangerfjord we met two Italians who just came from Bergen - they told us to go there and Flam, Norway. Unfortunately we never did, but you might wanna give it a shot. Flam's a bit out of your way if you're driving from Oslo to Bergen but hey a few hours of detour in the Norwegian countryside is going to be spectacular. Trust me! Good luck driving in Oslo!!! :p

You might wanna check this out too: http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When we went to see Geirangerfjord we met two Italians who just came from Bergen - they told us to go there and Flam, Norway. Unfortunately we never did, but you might wanna give it a shot. Flam's a bit out of your way if you're driving from Oslo to Bergen but hey a few hours of detour in the Norwegian countryside is going to be spectacular. Trust me!
Since we are planning on driving a bit more after Bergen, we might hit Flam on our way to Sogndal.

Good luck driving in Oslo!!! :p
I'll minimize my driving in Oslo
I expect that we will leave the car at the hotel

You might wanna check this out too: http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en
Nice! We bought a couple of guidebooks but maps may be the way to go.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I make a point of carrying paper maps on our trip -- good for high level view of the trip!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I make a point of carrying paper maps on our trip -- good for high level view of the trip!
I also prefer paper maps. Although GPS and/or google maps are practical and useful, I never fully trust them. Paper maps are much better for the big picture and it is easy to make annotations.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I am no luddite. I use GPS many ways -- car-based portable nav, hand-held in the woods (and to track my flights), in the airplane, in my smartphone, and even to broadcast position over APRS. I also have mapping software on my laptop (to record where I've been and contrast with things I've seen). But I also carry a compass in the car/when hiking (and the plane has one built in) and paper maps. Those things work even when the power fails or you don't have line-of-sight to satellites (or are in an area with active jamming).

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2015/Oct/PAXRV_15-04_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... and paper maps. Those things work even when the power fails or you don't have line-of-sight to satellites (or are in an area with active jamming).
Yes, jamming paper maps is kind of difficult... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts