SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - It was bound to happen sooner or later. I got nailed for 61 in a 40, but trooper went easy on me and wrote me up for 46 in a 40. Not the point. The point is - I've had this car for nearly a year and half and for all the times I didn't get caught going MUCH, MUCH faster, all I could do was smile and thank the trooper and tell him to have a wonderful evening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well - It was bound to happen sooner or later. I got nailed for 61 in a 40, but trooper went easy on me and wrote me up for 46 in a 40. Not the point. The point is - I've had this car for nearly a year and half and for all the times I didn't get caught going MUCH, MUCH faster, all I could do was smile and thank the trooper and tell him to have a wonderful evening.
Could have been worse for sure. This has worked 3 times for me (100% where I have tried) and I have had two tickets in 38 years of driving where I did not think of this when I was younger. As you did, first off, be polite. Before he heads back to his car simply say "officer, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't write me a ticket". You have nothing to lose. Maybe the 3 times I tried it, I would not have gotten a ticket anyway. Doubtful that would have worked in your case at 21 over and he already cut you a break, no point in being greedy.

I didn't bother to ask when I ran a red light, I didn't have a leg to stand on. I was new in town crossing a wide intersection with a fast yellow. I did not realize I would only be half way through the intersection. Our local police force is called the Gestapo and no one gets a break. I explained that I was new in town etc. and he said "you have a clean record, I don't want to mess that up so I'll give you a warning". Believe it or not, that same cop (who I had never seen before) was in my office less than a week later needing my services and I did not charge him! For 21 years, I've gone through that intersection 5 times a week to and from work and have never come close to running that light again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be polite, put your hands on the dash until the officer tells you to remove them so he/she knows you are not a threat, and hand him/her a Monopoly 'get out of jail free card' along with your license and registration next time.;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Be polite, put your hands on the dash until the officer tells you to remove them so he/she knows you are not a threat, and hand him/her a Monopoly 'get out of jail free card' along with your license and registration next time.;)
Monopoly, Nice, I'll add that to my wallet just in case.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You were caught doing 21 MPH over the limit and he wrote it off as 6 MPH over? How much over the limit do you have to be to have your license revoked? 30 km/h (about 19 MPH) is enough in Sweden for having it revoked on the spot. 40 km/h over (25 MPH) and you're in the risk zone of getting prosecuted for reckless driving.

I wish traffic cops here would be as lenient on speeding, given fair circumstances (e.g that it wasn't actually reckless speeding)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You were caught doing 21 MPH over the limit and he wrote it off as 6 MPH over? How much over the limit do you have to be to have your license revoked? 30 km/h (about 19 MPH) is enough in Sweden for having it revoked on the spot. 40 km/h over (25 MPH) and you're in the risk zone of getting prosecuted for reckless driving.

I wish traffic cops here would be as lenient on speeding, given fair circumstances (e.g that it wasn't actually reckless speeding)
In Pennsylvania doing 31 MPH over the speed limit gets you a departmental hearing, in which they can possibly suspend your license for 15 days. Even then its only a 5 point infraction, and you need 11 points for any real consequences to occur.

·
Registered
105 Posts

It varies depending on the police officer. His years on the job, his mood, the possible effects of your speeding in that particular area. I have only received one ticket with my car and it was for doing 34 in a 25 (No, it was not a school zone). From what I've read about Sweden, the country has a different mindset about traffic related deaths. In the U.S., it's an unfortunate and tragic consequence. It makes sense that the laws and the police that enforce them in Sweden are more stern.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I didn't bother to ask when I ran a red light, I didn't have a leg to stand on. I was new in town crossing a wide intersection with a fast yellow. I did not realize I would only be half way through the intersection. Our local police force is called the Gestapo and no one gets a break. I explained that I was new in town etc. and he said "you have a clean record, I don't want to mess that up so I'll give you a warning". Believe it or not, that same cop (who I had never seen before) was in my office less than a week later needing my services and I did not charge him! For 21 years, I've gone through that intersection 5 times a week to and from work and have never come close to running that light again.
The cop may have known that you could have beaten the ticket. In most states, the light needs to be red when your car enters the intersection. If it was yellow, and goes red while you're in the intersection, you are not breaking any laws. Nice that he saved you a trip to the courthouse though!

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/beat-ticket-book/chapter7-2.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts