SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever replace their shift solenoids?

Got CEL and Trans arrow flashing yesterday. It actually went into limp mode after stopping at a light. I parked, shut down and restarted. Lights still on but limp mode was gone on the short ride home. Vida says it's the S2 Solenoid. I did some manual actuation and the S1 seems fine. S2 must be stuck 'on' as it seems to behave in an opposite fashion. SL (lock up) seems not to be actuating as I could not hear it. The fluid is dirty, and I had planned a full fluid replacement for this weekend as I had noticed the 2-3 shift would be delayed and have a really soft (read slippy) engagement for the last few days with no code in VIDA. I was planning to go through with the fluid change today with the possible addition of some kind of additive to see if it might have positive effect. I was also considering a TCM adaptation reset. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Also, FCP has the blue box parts (S1, S2 and SL) for about $465.08 + shipping. If needed, I will likely do Volvo parts but are there any out there with experience with worthwhile alternatives/sources?

It seems like it might be a little premature for these solenoids to fail. My feeling is there is a good chance they are clogged and may be uncloggable. The car is a '99 GLT with 131K and a LOT of recent/new parts on it. It had a fluid replacement not long after I bought it at 67k in 2003. I did a simple partial drain only (the 24mm drain plug) about a year/15k miles ago. The full change was supposed to have happened after it went about 5k more miles, but I got busy and it simply didn't happen.

I'm going to do the fluid exchange now and will report back tonight on any changes.

Updated to add: I drove approx 30 miles Friday and another 80 on Saturday with no changes noted. Sourcing replacement parts now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Got all Solenoids (S1, S2, SL) and waiting for gasket. Additional testing with VIDA shows the S1 is functioning properly, but S2 is not working and I believe SL may have issues as well since it does not seem to click when manually actuated. It is literally skipping 3rd gear on upshifts. Seems like it may get there on downshift/acceleration. I never really went to verify this since I already decided to replace all three pieces.

So has anyone done this job? Anything to lookout for?

I will be pulling the front bumper for access and will likely take this opportunity to install my Do88 intercooler at the same time. Since they have to be unbolted to jack up the engine/trans, I will replace the hydraulic motor mounts as well. Also planned replacements of the J hose and the other L shaped hoses at the charcoal canister while it's up.
I was also trying to to find one of the oil cooler lines that it seems may be discontinued? I have one and I'll put it on and I guess will try and make bulk hose work for the other. Anything is a better alternative than URO, especially for rubber. Does anyone leave the heatshield material on these cooler lines? I need to find some good high heat zip ties since the originals look like they are cooked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts