SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Funny, I just had an XC60 loaner while they were working on my XC90.

I generally preferred everything on my XC90 with the exception that I noticed the over-the-air radio station reception was way better on the XC60 than my XC90 has been getting. I was enjoying the station the XC60 was on from the time I drove it off the lot and when I tried to tune to it on the XC90 from the lot it went out of range way before I got home.

The time I spend with the center console on the XC60 made me really appreciate the XC90's Sensus screen.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Posted in XC60 forum...
Thanks for your review - interesting read. I'm a third time XC90 owner (currently 2016 T8) and being fairly large was never really comfortable in the smaller cockpit of the XC60.

I generally preferred everything on my XC90 with the exception that I noticed the over-the-air radio station reception was way better on the XC60 than my XC90 has been getting.
I'll have to check that out. To be honest - I may have listened to about 10 minutes of over-the-air radio on my new T8 ... most of the time it is either Bluetooth streaming from my Android phone - or using the built-in TuneIn app to listen to my favorite station (which is not over the air where I am).

Also note: the 2016 XC90 T8 lacks AM (medium wave) reception.

When I have time for a longer drive by myself sometime I'll do some reception comparison with the 2016 XC90's FM receiver.

·
Registered
361 Posts
"..the 2016 XC90 lacks AM (medium wave) reception"
rpmccormick, what country are you located?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Funny, I just had an XC60 loaner while they were working on my XC90.

I generally preferred everything on my XC90 with the exception that I noticed the over-the-air radio station reception was way better on the XC60 than my XC90 has been getting. I was enjoying the station the XC60 was on from the time I drove it off the lot and when I tried to tune to it on the XC90 from the lot it went out of range way before I got home.

The time I spend with the center console on the XC60 made me really appreciate the XC90's Sensus screen.
Must've been a big disappointment going to an XC60 from the new XC90.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'll have to check that out. To be honest - I may have listened to about 10 minutes of over-the-air radio on my new T8 ... most of the time it is either Bluetooth streaming from my Android phone - or using the built-in TuneIn app to listen to my favorite station (which is not over the air where I am).

Also note: the 2016 XC90 lacks AM (medium wave) reception.

When I have time for a longer drive by myself sometime I'll do some reception comparison with the 2016 XC90's FM receiver.
Yeah, I usually am listening to sat stations too. But when I picked up the loaner it was set to this FM station and I recalled liking it and having it setup on my other cars. When I tried to set it up on the XC90 when I got it back, it wouldn't auto-tune to it and when I manually tuned it was barely audible behind the static. Now that I think about it, I recall I had to manually setup most of the FM stations when I first got the XC90 because it wasn't getting clean enough signals to auto-tune to them if you did seek.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nice review. Very fair and balanced. I agree about the road noise. It's not horrible, but it's more prominent than you would expect in such a high-end vehicle. I don't necessarily agree with the ride being too harsh with the standard suspension. If you dampen the suspension too much, you lose your connection to the road. I can't stand when a vehicle feels too "floaty". I think the XC90's suspension is a good compromise of sportiness and comfort. You can still feel the road, but it's generally quite pleasant. The air suspension certainly has an advantage in this regard, since you can adjust the suspension on the fly to match the desired drive mode. It should be noted that I have a Jeep SRT8 as my daily driver, so my opinions on ride and comfort are greatly influenced by that vehicle's sporty characteristics.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The T8 doesn't have AM radio due to the hybrid system interfering with the signal.
Thanks - updated my orig post to specifically mention the T8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts