SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a $40 coupon ($150 reg. price) for a 4 wheel alignment at a mazda dealership not to far from my house. After they took the car in and worked on it, the lady came out and told me that the tie rod end bolts are seized and that they couldn't align the toe, but that they did the best they could. It was best to go to my Volvo dealer for additional work. I came home and with a bit of 3-1 penetrant, I was able to loosen the bolts.

Now my question is, should I go back and ask them to re-adjust the alignment? I def. don't want to spend any more money as I'm a pretty broke university student.

Here's the printout I got. My main concern is tire wear. I just bought the tires 250Km's ago!

Could I just unscrew either side by a couple turns and call it a day?

BTW, I ordered some adjustable rear camber arms yesterday.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
it would be nice to know what kind of vehcile this is....
but did you make sure that the rod threads in and out of the outer tie rod end? just breaking the nut loose is one thing, the rod still needs to turn....
do not try aligning it yourself...and its doubtful they will just throw it on again and do it over for free.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 06 S40. The inner tie rod spins about 1 turn. I guess it doesn't go in/out all the way. Maybe I'll replace my tie rods next summer along with the adjustable camber and get another alignment

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
They share chassis and certain parts along with Ford Focus. A friend of mine is a tech at a mazda dealership and he was noting consistencies between the Mazda and Ford that he was seeing on my car.

"The chassis for this car and the majority of its components were developed by Volvo, however similar mechanical components can be found in the Mazda3 and the European Ford Focus.[7] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_S40

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An alignment is an alignment. I took it there because I got a DealFind for $40, as opposed to the regular $150 the stealership wanted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts