SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in other countries (UK and Sweden that I know of), Volvo allows the integration of Volvo On Call with Google Home. So you can start the car, send navigation info, and do pretty much everything on that app, via Google Home.

For some reason that's blocked/unavailable in the US as of today. Has anyone found a work around?

I found one possible work around here: https://www.home-assistant.io/components/volvooncall/ , but I'd like to know if anyone in the US has gotten it to work.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
698 Posts
Does not work in the US due to safety considerations for remote start and locking. From what I was told by customer care, it is coming but no one could tell me when. If you are technical, someone had put in alot of effort to reverse engineer the VOC API's.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Safety considerations around remote start and locking? But you can already do both with the Volvo On Call app.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It did work for me (in Sweden) when they announced it even though at first they announced it in smaller scale. As of late it doesn't seem to work any more for me. Might be that I just need to reconnect the application in GH to VOC but not sure how.

Anyhow it was actually quite... messy to use. You have to "Hey google" and then "i'd like to talk with volvo on call" which seem to switch to the VOC app with another voice and then you only have a few options to tell it. Fun? Yes. Useful? Well.. Not really.

Edit:
Ok, looked into it now. Seems like it had dropped my account for some reason. Added again and it's working.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
698 Posts
You have to use a password / pin / fingerprint to start the car with VOC right? Also, it's safety about locking since speaking to your device "anyone" in your household can do.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to use a password / pin / fingerprint to start the car with VOC right? Also, it's safety about locking since speaking to your device "anyone" in your household can do.
Maybe. Not being able to actually try it out, I can't say. But Google Home does recognize different user voices, so it's possible for it to differentiate and lock out anyone outside of approved users.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yes, to start the actual car you have to use pin/fingerprint. To start the heater, no. If the car is unlocked it can't be remotely started.
I haven't found a way to start the car through Google Home though (possibly because you have to ID yourself), it'll just turn on the heater if you ask it to turn on.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, to start the actual car you have to use pin/fingerprint. To start the heater, no. If the car is unlocked it can't be remotely started.
I haven't found a way to start the car through Google Home though (possibly because you have to ID yourself), it'll just turn on the heater if you ask it to turn on.
If you look in the link I posted originally, you can see that "engine start" is one of the available request options. Also, in the video that Volvo Sweden released late last month to announce it, they have the person starting the car.

https://www.facebook.com/VolvoCarSverige/videos/1341920612614518/

If you don't have facebook, I don't know where else to find the video, as they don't seem to have copied this one over to their YouTube account yet.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If you look in the link I posted originally, you can see that "engine start" is one of the available request options. Also, in the video that Volvo Sweden released late last month to announce it, they have the person starting the car.

https://www.facebook.com/VolvoCarSverige/videos/1341920612614518/

If you don't have facebook, I don't know where else to find the video, as they don't seem to have copied this one over to their YouTube account yet.

In the video he isn't starting the car. He asks for the heater which works fine.
I see in the HASS link you posted that there's an engine_start parameter. I'm wondering if it's just a workaround through some sort of API for HASS that the actual VOC integration in Google Home doesn't support. Since you set up your VOC credentials in the component it might be enough for it to recognize it as a verification each time you want it to start.

Edit:
I just tested it with my GH, "start the car", she responded "i'm sorry but i can't help you with that, here are the available commands" and nothing regarding the actual start is said.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the video he isn't starting the car. He asks for the heater which works fine.
I see in the HASS link you posted that there's an engine_start parameter. I'm wondering if it's just a workaround through some sort of API for HASS that the actual VOC integration in Google Home doesn't support. Since you set up your VOC credentials in the component it might be enough for it to recognize it as a verification each time you want it to start.

Edit:
I just tested it with my GH, "start the car", she responded "i'm sorry but i can't help you with that, here are the available commands" and nothing regarding the actual start is said.
I feel like this might be an obvious question, but short of having a T8, how would the heater work without starting the engine?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I feel like this might be an obvious question, but short of having a T8, how would the heater work without starting the engine?
It's only climate control AFAIK, not an engine heater.
In our nordic climate there's an option for engine heater as well, without starting it. But that's another story.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bringing this thread back from the dead, I figured out a simple work around to get this to function in the US.

In the Google Home app, change the home address to a location in the UK. That's it. That's all. Volvo on Call now integrates with Google Home.

Probably more useful for those with a T8, since otherwise the "turn climate on/off" does nothing. The other commands do work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok.... But then what do I lose from usual Google Assistant experience? What happens if I ask for the weather? Do I now get the weather forecast in the UK?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok.... But then what do I lose from usual Google Assistant experience? What happens if I ask for the weather? Do I now get the weather forecast in the UK?
Correct.

Though I suppose you could ask for the weather of where you're actually at.

I reverted mine back after the experiment. The other two obnoxious things are that, one, it's a voice command within a voice command. So you always have to say "hey Google, I want to talk to Volvo on Call", which then prompts VoC...and then you give the voice command. And second, I'd say after every third exchange it would ask me how I liked the app on a scale of 1 to 5. Even though I'd rate it, it would still ask me again 2 exchanges later.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
You're talking about Google Home. Does Google Assistant on Android phones not support something like CarKit on iOS? Can you use Google Assistant on an Android phone to lock/unlock the car?

On iPhones you can do a lot of things via Siri. Some (like checking if the car is locked) she does without opening the VOC app. For anything requiring authentication it opens the Volvo On Call app and does what you want it to.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're talking about Google Home. Does Google Assistant on Android phones not support something like CarKit on iOS? Can you use Google Assistant on an Android phone to lock/unlock the car?

On iPhones you can do a lot of things via Siri. Some (like checking if the car is locked) she does without opening the VOC app. For anything requiring authentication it opens the Volvo On Call app and does what you want it to.
It's via Google Assistant, so it's through your Google Home or your phone.

You can do the following:

- Check that the windows are open/closed
- Check if it is locked
- Lock or unlock the car
- Check how much fuel is in the car and available range
- Have it honk the horn and/or flash the lights
- Start/stop the climate controls (this only works on T8 models)

Basically anything that is available to you on the VoC App for your car can be done via Google Assistant.

·
Registered
102 Posts

It's via Google Assistant, so it's through your Google Home or your phone.

You can do the following:

- Check that the windows are open/closed
- Check if it is locked
- Lock or unlock the car
- Check how much fuel is in the car and available range
- Have it honk the horn and/or flash the lights
- Start/stop the climate controls (this only works on T8 models)

Basically anything that is available to you on the VoC App for your car can be done via Google Assistant.
Just not in the US..."yet"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts