SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
failed lower ball joint that left my girlfriend stranded last yr in basement parking lot of a whole foods. No tow truck would fit so I replaced the mofo over 2 evening sessions. Had to rent a LBJ puller from advanced auto parts but easy AF to work on.

wowowow what Whole Foods allowed you to park for 2 days without towing your car?!? What is this magic? I'm moving there.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
wowowow what Whole Foods allowed you to park for 2 days without towing your car?!? What is this magic? I'm moving there.
He stated no tow truck would fit in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve got a similar issue in a 2005 S60R in Los Angeles (108,500 miles). Need to overhaul cylinder 1 valves, but don’t have the time or the patience. Anyone interested as a project or as a parts car?

·
Registered
571 Posts
lolol yeah it's the san mateo whole foods 1010 Park Pl, San Mateo, CA - the parking garage is open 24/7 and serves a bunch of shops/ restaurants

Each night would leave it wondering if theyd tow it - but only a special lowered truck could even clear the garage entrance. I called every single tow truck service and 2 of them had a truck that could fit but they wanted to charge me 500- 700 bucks. The LBJ fails on the 4runner then the LCA drops /scrapes the ground - and the axle can pop out if driven/ or towed. Only a dolly would've worked so they all knew it wouldve been a pita.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/149467-official-lower-ball-joint-write-up-thread.html

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/154371-lbj-failure-my-turn.html

Replaced passenger side in parking garage and then the drivers side at home. Outer tie rods replaced too. one was seized. had to pay a dude at muffler shop to heat w/ blow torch and R&R. total pita but could have been much worse:beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
lolol yeah it's the san mateo whole foods 1010 Park Pl, San Mateo, CA - the parking garage is open 24/7 and serves a bunch of shops/ restaurants
Interesting! I know that Whole Foods, I used to live right there in the Hillsdale neighborhood. Never visited it though, too rich for my blood.

Looks like we have 3 people in the San Mateo area participating in this thread alone.. You, myself and Julien

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
We really are at the age where owning an 04-07R (or even 98-2000) really only makes sense for an enthusiast who specifically *wants* it and is willing to put up with the maintenance as they age (and they uh, don't age well). And you know what? That's totally okay! It's okay for some to move on and others to keep going with these cars. My '98 VR (I know wrong forum but just speaking in general here) blew its trans at 186K miles last year, we've owned it since new in '98, sure I could fix it but you know what? Nah, it was time for something new, traded it in and got a new car and the only thing that is sad is I have nothing to wrench on!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Enjoy the Toyota experience. I grew up in the 70’s with the ‘lil hustler’ Datsun pickup. Damn that thing was a fast lil pickup. Loved it. A tin box with room for kegs in the back. What a great experience I had. Enjoy. I remember that English car show with the Toyota pickup that wouldn’t die. It’s like the old VW Bug in the movie Sleeper.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Enjoy the Toyota experience. I grew up in the 70's with the 'lil hustler' Datsun pickup. Damn that thing was a fast lil pickup. Loved it. A tin box with room for kegs in the back. What a great experience I had. Enjoy. I remember that English car show with the Toyota pickup that wouldn't die. It's like the old VW Bug in the movie Sleeper.

Oh hell yeah the hilux top gear drowned in the ocean and set on fire! I loved those episodes. Didn't they drop a house on it too?

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
While he's already half way through the not-too-expensive rebuild since he does his own wrenching, he decides the brand has "wronged" him somehow.
Peace out sir.
Update:

Credit where credit is due, the above comment made me realize it would be easier just to put the car back together (rebuilt head) than part it out, even though the latter would probably be more cost effective. The third option would be to sell the car as-is, but I wouldn't have the stomach to that due to the many perfectly good parts on the car that I would be tempted to strip off and sell for more than the "entire as-is" resale value.

Car will be sold after this whole coronavirus thing passes; I'm definitely not tying up the capital in a new car with the markets where they currently are.

After discussing with Jim's Machine Shop in Redwood City, it looks like my head+PCV rebuild would cost around $1250 with labor, lower than my initial estimates. Didn't need to replace the cams as I initially thought (the lobe surfaces are totally fine), and we ended up only replacing the exhaust valves on cylinder #1 and all valve stem seals, everything else re-used.

Tobe at Jim's Machine Shop did a valve job and decked the head for $270:

Here's some pictures of it going together:

Prepping the block to TDC after cleaning all gasket surfaces:

Installing the cylinder head:

Volvo anaerobic sealant on all mating surfaces, CRC engine assembly lube on journal surfaces, COMP cam lube on cam lobes

Using this clamp-down tool to install the cam cover... it came with the cam locking tool kit I bought on eBay for $45 ("Volvo Crankshaft Camshaft Cam Engine Alignment Timing Locking Tool Fixture Kit"). I ended up removing the cam sprockets to ensure no interference as the cam cover went down.

Here's where I currently am:

For reference by others, here are the parts I'm using for the head rebuild, as sold by FCPEuro:

2 x Volvo Exhaust Valve - CRP-9454610EC
1 x Volvo Cylinder Head Gasket Set - REI-023696001
1 x Volvo Exhaust Manifold Gasket - REI-713746700 (for Volvo S40, but much easier to install than the 5 individual pieces which come with the Reinz cylinder head gasket set)
12 x Volvo Cylinder Head Bolt - REI-743215200
1 x Volvo Anaerobic Sealant - 1161059
1 x Volvo Spark Plug Set - VOL-30751806
1 x Volvo Thermostat Assembly - WAH-481890D

·
Registered
17,568 Posts
Smart man! Glad you didn’t let it wither away.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
After discussing with Jim's Machine Shop in Redwood City, it looks like my head+PCV rebuild would cost around $1250 with labor, lower than my initial estimates.

Tobe at Jim's Machine Shop did a valve job and decked the head for $270
This makes me absolutely ill. With jealousy. A valve job and a deck skim on a Volvo B18 cost me $650 up here, no parts, no assembly, no labour. That's in Canadian Pesos, mind, but it's still $500 USD for 8 parallel valves in the same plane...

I just started my journey with an SR after having wanted an R for years. At the moment I'm thrilled, but I'm sure it'll get to the point one day where I've got too much tied up in it to junk it and too little time/energy to spend on the car. I've stripped and junked too many perfectly good cars because I couldn't bear to look at them anymore.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Seems like you made the right choice, it will be easier to sell the car whole, and it seems whoever gets the car after you’re done will have some more life left in the car because of your work. Win for everyone.

Just out of curiosity, what factory high pressure turbo engines routinely hit 200,000 miles without requiring substantial engine work, including head-off or valve train work?

Why the vitriol for Volvo? Also, these threads never make sense to me? Person becomes disenchanted with their vehicle then gets onto an enthusiast forum to bash the brand that everyone on the forum presumably drives and loves?

It makes me think about the scene where Gandalf is battling Balrog, and just when you think Balrog is vanquished his whip grabs hold of the wizard and pulls him down the abyss. Can’t anti-Volvo Balrogs just leave their whip holstered?

Reactions: Akeneshea

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
This makes me absolutely ill. With jealousy. A valve job and a deck skim on a Volvo B18 cost me $650 up here, no parts, no assembly, no labour. That's in Canadian Pesos, mind, but it's still $500 USD for 8 parallel valves in the same plane...

I just started my journey with an SR after having wanted an R for years. At the moment I'm thrilled, but I'm sure it'll get to the point one day where I've got too much tied up in it to junk it and too little time/energy to spend on the car. I've stripped and junked too many perfectly good cars because I couldn't bear to look at them anymore.
Yeah about this-- prices are all over the place. This shop seems to charge ~$12.50 per valve-- my 16V Pontiac V8 heads cost me $200 at the same shop, whereas a different shop in San Mateo wanted closer to $450 for that same 16V Pontiac V8.

Ultimately, I think there's generally two prices at any automotive shop. The price you will pay, and the price they'll do it for. Key thing is to eliminate the daylight between the two. I've found one way to reduce the price is to do as much of the labor as possible and only ask for very specific things done--remove the opportunity for the to upsell you by "diagnosing" things.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just out of curiosity, what factory high pressure turbo engines routinely hit 200,000 miles without requiring substantial engine work, including head-off or valve train work?
Cummings 5.9L turbo diesel, which is what I'm currently driving (loaner from the family farm). Stock boost is ~25PSI.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Cummings 5.9L turbo diesel, which is what I'm currently driving (loaner from the family farm). Stock boost is ~25PSI.
Ford (International) 7.3L Powerstroke. 200k is the break-in period. lol

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Reads to me like for $1700 invested after shop time, parts, and labor, you'll have a semi-refreshed engine. The car should last another 20K.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Reads to me like for $1700 invested after shop time, parts, and labor, you'll have a semi-refreshed engine. The car should last another 20K.
I chuckled. Glad you fixed the car Alex!
Agreed, I will drive this thing off a ****ing cliff if it only lasts another 20,000!

Car has been running well since the rebuild. I will post a follow-up with pictures, total costs and take-aways for future forum lurkers to read.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts