SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time Audi driver, from a 2005 A8L to my 2013 A8L 4.0T. Due to concerns of the turbo failures that plague the 4.0T I decided I wanted something new. My wife told me I would hate anything that wasn’t luxurious and I knew I didn’t want another huge car. Decided that the 2017 S90 would be the best for me as I don’t want/need another huge backseat like the 18s and newer have.

Got a pretty sweet deal on a nearly loaded T6 Inscription. Only missing the massaging seat package and 20” wheels. I really like the way the S90 drives, firmer than the Audi but not rough. The T6 engines is miles less refined than the twin turbo V8 but I am getting used to it.

I know this is a pretty quiet thread but hoping to learn from you all!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
:beer:

Welcome! Good luck with a great looking S90.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've always wanted an A8L but was always wary of the maintenance cost/reliability. Would love to hear more about your experience and comparison.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Congratulations on the beautiful car!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Welcome. I own a current model B9 Audi S4 and we’re also on our second S90. We love absolutely everything about the S90 except the power train, which in my opinion is by far the biggest letdown of this car (frankly, of all Volvos). I guess the T5 and T6 are the last stop gaps before all electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I owned an Audi A8 4.0. Short wheelbase car with an APR stage one tune. Car was a beast, liked everything about it. sold it outright and bought my S63 used. I really liked the Audi but as previous poster wrote I was a little leery about owning it past warranty. As far as powertrains go I wouldn't bother with the 3.0, not enough power for me. Now, having said that, the 2.0 in the Volvo is a little weak but up to the task. My S90 is a second car and we like it fine, great highway manners and very reasonably priced as a CPO. When it comes down to it I absolutely love V8 cars, but I think my S63 will be my last.....as previous poster wrote the day of electric cars is fast approaching us all!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had an A6 Avant for nine years, then an A4 Avant for nine years (when Audi decided to stop bringing the A6 Avant to US) and now have a V90 T6 Inscription for nine years. I know Audi re-introduced the A6 wagon in US, but only in the Allroad version, but I'm not interested in the 'rugged' wagon look, either Audi Allroad or Volvo CC. I think the V90 interior is more handsome than Audi's. The A4's turbo 4 was more spirited than what's in the Volvo, but the A4 Avant was a lighter car than is the V90, so that may affect my sense of performance.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had 535xi and was shopping for s8 or e63 CPO or new e450. The e63 Merc was too expensive, e450 interior poor, and the S8 too outdated back than. So V90 it was. Loving it every time I drive it. Sure it lacks the power of the others but as a daily car it’s what I’m happy with. The 535 hugged the road a bit better and the road feedback was great but as you age you need less of it. Pick up from stand still is almost the same as the BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Congrats on the new S90!

Ours have been very reliable. The new 4 cylinder cars are not necessarily (at all) exciting to drive if you’re an enthusiast (thus our trade of one our Volvo’s for new AMG), but they are solid, safe and easy to operate - live with; oh and aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always wanted an A8L but was always wary of the maintenance cost/reliability. Would love to hear more about your experience and comparison.
I loved my A8L, but every problem that is known to occur did occur for me. Started with the 1K & 3K vibration, replaced the downpipes problem resolved (CPO). The the PCV valve went, replaced under CPO. Creaking sounds when going over speed humps, bushings replaced under CPO. After my CPO expired two of the motor mounts went, drove with them as it only bothered me when driving slowly and the engine would go into 4 cylinder mode.

The best thing about the A8 is the smoothness of the vehicle. Everything about it is buttery, especially the engine. If Audi would only step up and proactively replace the turbo screens I would still be an Audi fanboy. Due to the way they are handling the situation I do not see another Audi in my future for a long time. I did not have any assisted driving features in my A8 so having Pilot Assist is just AWESOME in comparison.

One thing that was embarrassing for a $97K car was the stock stereo was awful. My wife as a '19 XC90 with the Harmon systems and it is crazy good in comparison. My S90 has the B&W system which is even better. Tomorrow is my first long drive (4 hours round trip), looking forward to it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Congratulations on your new car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Curious how many of us are former Audi drivers. I traded my ‘16 A8 3.0 for the V90. Nothing wrong with the A8 really, but I got turned on seeing a V90 and just had to have one. I loved the A8, it was a fantastic highway car. Drove from here to Florida last year and loved the comfort. I actually kept it longer than any other daily driver - over 4 years, which was a new record for me. I do very much enjoy the V90, and have no major complaints but would certainly buy another Audi. My wife drives an ‘18 Q5 which she quite likes...probably another 3 or 4 years before she’ll be in the market for something else.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We cross-shopped our Volvo V90 against a one-year-old CPO Audi A7 Sportback. The Audi was darn nice. The hatchback and rear seat configuration offered station wagon-like space. The turbo v6/hybrid was superior to the Volvo's T6 I4 engine by a large margin. I had encouraged my wife to look at Audis because I had an A4 that I really liked -- especially the beautiful paint and high-quality interior. Because it was lightly used, the price was competitive and attractive. The A7 checked all the boxes except for one.

The particular car we looked was spec'd-out in what I call "Executive Sedan" style. Black exterior, black interior, dark wheels, and tinted glass. Grim.

In stark contrast, our V90 is that stunning Mussel Blue (blue-tinted silver) over Amber interior. The interior design, with lots of brushed stainless and leather top-stitching, is MUCH more warm and inviting than that dour Audi. I love how the orange B&W speaker cones can just be made out through the metal grills.

I am a long-time "car guy", and am very practical in almost all aspects of my life. I often get asked for car-buying advice. When I do, people expect me to drone on about reliability, fuel consumption, or resale value. They are usually surprised when I tell them to do as I do... Buy a car that compels you to look back over your shoulder and smile at it as you walk away.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The A7 is definitely on my list for when the V90 warranty runs out...in two years. Hopefully they will have fixed the throttle lag issue. I don't think I could live with that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am a long-time "car guy", and am very practical in almost all aspects of my life. I often get asked for car-buying advice. When I do, people expect me to drone on about reliability, fuel consumption, or resale value. They are usually surprised when I tell them to do as I do... Buy a car that compels you to look back over your shoulder and smile at it as you walk away.
Ditto. For decades I always shopped with the “reliability, fuel consumption, resale value” mantra. And recommended the criteria to many friends and family members over the years. And after a ten year battle in the 90’s with heart disease committed me to follow that pathway. After being diagnosed with cancer three years ago, my attitude started to evolve. I started thinking about cars I really desired, mostly focused on sports models. Then I saw photos of the V90. (Side note: in my youth I wanted to become an automotive designer, but due to life circumstances I never managed to make it to the Art Center College of Design. I still admire the beauty of car design) At any rate, after consultation with my live-in economic advisor, I decided to order a V90 through the OSD program, as a celebration of successfully getting through cancer treatment. Our 2018 V90 T6 Inscription (Maple Brown/Amber) is the best car buying decision I’ve made in 56 years.

And yes, every time I park it, I look back at the car and smile.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Curious how many of us are former Audi drivers. I traded my ‘16 A8 3.0 for the V90. Nothing wrong with the A8 really, but I got turned on seeing a V90 and just had to have one. I loved the A8, it was a fantastic highway car. Drove from here to Florida last year and loved the comfort. I actually kept it longer than any other daily driver - over 4 years, which was a new record for me. I do very much enjoy the V90, and have no major complaints but would certainly buy another Audi. My wife drives an ‘18 Q5 which she quite likes...probably another 3 or 4 years before she’ll be in the market for something else.
I've had 4 Audi's: '96 A6q; '97 A8q; '05.5 A4q Avant; '11 A4 - only the old A6 wasn't a problem child. I see recently Audi has upped their reliability.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Cheers!

Not only that, but if I'm pulling away from a building with large windows facing the road, I like to look at the reflection of myself driving my OR away....

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Ditto. For decades I always shopped with the “reliability, fuel consumption, resale value” mantra. And recommended the criteria to many friends and family members over the years. And after a ten year battle in the 90’s with heart disease committed me to follow that pathway. After being diagnosed with cancer three years ago, my attitude started to evolve. I started thinking about cars I really desired, mostly focused on sports models. Then I saw photos of the V90. (Side note: in my youth I wanted to become an automotive designer, but due to life circumstances I never managed to make it to the Art Center College of Design. I still admire the beauty of car design) At any rate, after consultation with my live-in economic advisor, I decided to order a V90 through the OSD program, as a celebration of successfully getting through cancer treatment. Our 2018 V90 T6 Inscription (Maple Brown/Amber) is the best car buying decision I’ve made in 56 years.

Cheers!
I completely agree with you on the aesthetics of the V90! I think the appreciation is universal. You wouldn't believe the attention these things get at the local cars-n-coffee; you'd think I pulled-up in a Bugatti (it's a very large c&c in Hunt Valley, MD also).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats! I went the 09 BMW 750i (sport with IAS/Dynamic Drive) -> 14 Audi A7 TDI Prestige -> 17 S90 Inscription route myself. I felt the S90 is ~85% of the car the BMW was for nearly half the price, which isn't a bad deal especially after factoring in the difference in service costs.

I'll be honest, I found the A7 the most underwhelming car I've ever owned. I tried everything to love it, but only enjoyed it when it snowed and that Torsen-based Quattro system kicked in. I especially don't miss the Audi dealership experience nor their prices nor the terrible terrible sound system. On the flipside, the 7-series struck the perfect balance between sport and luxury and completely ruined me...but it's a ticking time bomb.

I've had a solid Volvo experience so far and the Sensus system is great. Coming from German cars, my one complaint is that the paint quality is a bit lacking, which I found out when I did a full paint correction recently. For any other 2017 buyers, you should check if/when your car was Volvo certified on the CarFax. There's a limited window before Volvo switched the warranty from 7yr/100k to the current one in early 2018. If you're missing the feel of a V8, Polestar isn't a bad investment either (after getting a dealer and manufacturer coupon).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts