SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any secrets to what you guys use on your black trim. My T5's bumpers are still fairly black, but the door handles are a light gray from sun fade.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gee lots of answers. With pretty much all Volvos having this, can't anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use Black Magic for Trim (be careful...very oily but looks great)
IPD has a product and so does Groit's.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll have to check out Griot's website. Aren't they like one of the better detailing companies?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have tried Black Magic and regular Armoral, but they both make my trim look too shiny IMO. I prefer the "new car" look over the "show car" look. Fortunately Armoral recently came out with a "Low Gloss" formula which really does the trick for me. It's much more subtle, keeps the trim from fading, and seems to go longer between applications.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Farmboy...I agree on the "low gloss'!
I have not been able to find it here in NH since I bought my last bottle over a year ago. All I can find is the orginal shine. (= too glossy!)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was always told that Armor All had alcohol in it and would dry out whatever it is used on, particularly dashboards. Of course it could be an old wive's tale also, anyone ever hear of this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a guy tell me this years ago, and he might have been right. But I used the regular Armoral in the interior of my '68 Camaro for nearly 15 years with no adverse effects. There was a LOT of black vinyl in that car. The interior still looked brand new when I sold it to buy my Volvo 2 years ago.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used it on my last car - an '89 Jetta GL - which I bought new and just sold (235000 miles) The dashboard looks brand new. I live in a cooler climate and the sun of CA or FL might make a difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
P.S. I've given-up using Armorall-like products on the interior of my Volvo. Too messy and only marginal results. I have had better luck just wiping the dash and console down with a statically charged cleaning cloth. "Swiffer Sweeper" refils work well, but the "Scotch-Brite High Performance Cleaning Cloth" work best for me. Both are available at Wal-Mart, etc.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The answer, in my book, is (quite emphatically) 303. The best "similar-to-Armorall" product out there. Lasts way longer, no silicone oils, is not as slippery and oily after application, contains the best sunscreen available. This makes your tires look new, not "just detailed." I love this stuff. Armorall vaporizes when you use it on the dash, and becomes a gooy haze on the windshield after a while. Try a little 303 sometime, and you'll be hooked. It will make the interior and exterior of your car look like new (not goopy, oily) Works on rubber, vinyl, fabric (was actually developed to make sail fabric survive the elements better, if I remember correctly...haven't read the literature in a while). I use armorall on parts that I want to look better, but don't really care about...like under the car and in the wheels wells.

my .02

- Darell

·
Registered
528 Posts
You could resist I'm sure - you just chose not to...

I buy it in bulk from Performance Products (Catalog from LA that does Toyota, Porsche, and some other specialty catalogs). I get a gallon for about...excuse me while I whip this out... $45. Their number is 800 553-2840. They have all kinds of quality auto accessories like rack goods, seat covers, floor mats, covers, lighting etc. They can typically special order for any make of vehicle. I used them for years when I had my Toyota truck.

Actually, in that picture of your car that you keep posting, you may have used a bit too much 409 on the paint. Maybe an SOS pad too?

- Darell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts