SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi friends

I need a new left front HID headlight unit for my 2007 V8. The drl and little orange light works but the HID doesn't light up. Mechanic says it needs to be changed and a new one is $600. I told him that I'd try and find a used one online instead. So I'm wondering if there are any places other than ebay I should check out? Look around there and found some but they be more than $400 (canadian) with import change and shipping. Is this a good price or should I keep looking?

Where do you guys buy your parts online? Since the exchange rate is so low a Canadian site would be great :)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So kinda not following this. I'm guessing you didn't mean the entire headlight assembly, right?

Did the mechanic swap the left and right bulbs and it still does not work? That would of course remove the bulb (~$50 each) from the equation, leaving you with the ballast which, depending on your chassis number (last 6 of VIN), could cost as much as $400 US (new- OEM reseller) or as little as $60 (used-big auction site). The ballast may actually be a Valeo 89034934 or a Valeo LAD5GL depending on your chassis number, makes it even easier to source if yes.

So let us know what was done to validate the issue plus post your chassis number and we can go from there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again. Thanks for your answer and sorry for taking so long to reply. Like I said the two other lights (drl and orange) works fine.

I tried two different working bulbs in there and they didnt light up. Last 6 of my VIN is 339148. Am I able to replace the ballast my self if I get one off eBay?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So if you tried known good bulbs and they don't work and you think you need a new ballast, then the part is the earlier larger version (PN 30727205). The newer, smaller version is for cars after chassis #358122.

When I do a search, the ballast looks a lot like a Valeo LAD5GL (video seems to confirm this) which can be bought as a less expensive option.

Replacement seems pretty easy, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZima5UOHg for details.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts