SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Token)

The only Osrams I could find in an uncoated H3 were +30s. Finding the +50 Philips is like finding gold here. I prefer to buy the little bits stateside.

But either will make a world of difference over the lousy H3s normally available. They're all heavily filtered to look brilliant, but pass no more light and burn out quickly.

Once adjusted, I use the fogs all the time as a supplement to cover where the narrow-beam bi-xenons miss. The extra lumens of these +50s will be very welcome.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (sgmlaw)

I have had two sets of the Phillips. One set lasted a month, the other 2 months. Both sets burnt out at the same time. At 25.00 a bulb it cost me 100.00 for 3 months of better bulbs. I went back to the stock and they have been shining for 4 months now.
Just my 2c's

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: (MASH)

Quote, originally posted by MASH »
I have had two sets of the Phillips. One set lasted a month, the other 2 months. Both sets burnt out at the same time. At 25.00 a bulb it cost me 100.00 for 3 months of better bulbs. I went back to the stock and they have been shining for 4 months now.
Just my 2c's

I had similar experience with Silverstars on my T5 with H7's and H1's.
Buy them at a big box store that will exchange them in order to mitigate the risk of wasting your money. Canadian Tire replaced mine over the counter each time they burned out, warranty is only good for a year but better than nothin'

I hope these new H3 and 9006 silverstars last longer, if not Canadian Tire will see me at the returns desk again!

LTA

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (LTA)

The U.S. market Silverstars are overdriven to compensate for the filtering losses. They're all about color temp, and not much else. The German-made Osram version Silverstars are a completely different bird, and should last much longer. The best I've found here in an Osram is a +30 version, and I almost bought them instead of the Philips.

All the major makers now have two broad lines going: one is overdriven with spectrum filtering, the other not nearly as overdriven but with clear envelopes (and more output). Two completely different markets. Bulbs like the U.S. market Silverstar, PIAA , and many Japanese makes are in the former. Bulbs like the VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, GE Nighthawk, and a few others are in the latter. I need lumens, not color.

It's amazing what you learn about light bulbs as your eyes age.

I sure hope the VisionPluses last similarly to an Xtravision, as that is the lifespan Philips specs them to, but with even more lumen output. It is supposedly their very best headlamp element.

At under $40 for the pair, it's worth a spin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts