SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my names Matt. Im new to swedespeed and just wanted to introduce myself. Since September of 2004 I had been driving a naturally aspirated 1998 S70 when an uninsured drunk chick came down our street at 2:30 AM playing vehicular pinball. She hit four cars total, mine last, and wound up parked in my front yard. Luckily my uninsured motorist coverage kicked in and gave me enough to put down on a 2008 S60 2.5T. Its black on black, with leather and the "premium package", with 95,600 miles. It was owned by a lady teacher that had a hell of a commute here in central Texas.

Anyhow. she appears to have taken great care of it. But im assuming all thats really been done are the routine oil changes. I dont really have any service records to go off besides a vague carfax report. I want to say with the S70 the timing belt interval was every 70K, but I hear with this car its 100K. Can you guys confirm this for me. Im basically trying to get a list together of any maintenance the car will need here in the near future. Id like to get all the fluids changed, coolant, power steering, transmission, etc...

Would y'all mind filling me in on what else I might want to consider?

Thanks and heres a little pic of the car. You can see the old S70 in the background. All the damage is to the drivers front. They actually towed it away yesterday. I drove it for eight years and put 160K worry free miles on. That car never let me down and ill miss it. Oh and before the S70 I had a 1990 240 for a couple years. I bough that from a friend, then sold it back to his brother, who in turn sold it to his uncle. True story.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Nice car! Like the color and wheels.

As for maintenance I'd do a full stage 0 tune up, which basically means flushing all fluids, transmission fluid, oil, coolant, brake fluid, replacing all filters, air, oil, fuel, and cabin air, new spark plugs, and a new timing belt. All of that and she'll run like brand new. Plus it'll give you peace of mind that your S60 will easily last another 100,000 miles.

For the timing belt just go with OEM, the recommended service interval is 105,000 miles for the timing belt, some people have a new water pump installed at the same time, so you can opt for that as well.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sorry to hear about the drunk chick and your S70 but it looks like you made out OK with that S60.
Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I guess my first order of business is to convert to synthetic oil. In the S70, I was using Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage. This seemed to cut down on the smoke quite a bit. The valve stem seals were basically gone at this point. Would you suggest sticking with 10W40 with the S60? I also want to do a coolant change and flush the trans fluid asap. Is the trans flush procedure similar to how it was done on the S70? I would pull the top hose and connect the clear tube to that, then pump out and replace two quarts at a time until 14 - 16 quarts had gone through. Ill probably wait until I get closer to 105K to do the T-belt & water pump. Is there a tensioner that gets replaced along with all that?

Thanks again y'all.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The tensioner lasts a fairly long time... but they'll let you know when they change out the T-belt if its starting to go. Someone else will have to chime in about the oil, I just use whatever synthetic my garage guy gives me. :p

Welcome to the board. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess my first order of business is to convert to synthetic oil. In the S70, I was using Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage. This seemed to cut down on the smoke quite a bit. The valve stem seals were basically gone at this point. Would you suggest sticking with 10W40 with the S60? I also want to do a coolant change and flush the trans fluid asap. Is the trans flush procedure similar to how it was done on the S70? I would pull the top hose and connect the clear tube to that, then pump out and replace two quarts at a time until 14 - 16 quarts had gone through. Ill probably wait until I get closer to 105K to do the T-belt & water pump. Is there a tensioner that gets replaced along with all that?

Thanks again y'all.
The trans flush procedure is almost identical, you can buy Toyota type IV transmission fluid at your local Toyota dealer for cheap and it's the exact same as the Volvo fluid. When doing the flush you can unplug your upper transmission hose BUT the fluid will pour out of the radiator, not the hose itself. So as long as you remember to stick the line into the hole in the radiator where the upper transmission hose goes it's the exact same.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I've read that mechanically, there is no diff btw the belt/tensioner/idler pulley used pre-01 and the later set, and that they changed the interval recommendation purely to lower the 0-100K mi cost of ownership. I'd do that setup NOW, as there have been some who have had theirs go before 90K. Oh, and its rarely the belt that fails - its one of the other 2.
I had an indy do mine for under $400. A steal, I know, but maybe you can find such a deal.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Congratulations, and at the same time sorry to hear your S70 didn’t make it through the ordeal. I think you will enjoy the S60, many updates were made to the P2 chassis vs your P1 S70.

As far as maintenance, as many have mentioned stick with O.E. parts, I replaced my timing belt/water pump/tensioner/coolant flush along with brake flush at 87k on my 2003' V70. Coming from Audi's I learned to do the services early to prevent problems. I also flushed the transmission at 100k. Best bet would be to if you haven’t already establish a good relationship with your Volvo dealers parts/service depts. Get a basic pre-purchase inspection on your S60 and go from there.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new S60. I'd recommend doing the entire timing belt group at once, why put on a new belt and chance the idler or tensioner letting go and taking your motor with it? Really for the cost and effort there no reason not to for the piece of mind for the next 100,000 miles.

Stick with normal Mobil 1 10w30 till you get more miles on her, I'm at 185,000 and can't tell any difference between the high mileage and normal blend. Eventually I'll switch to high mileage but for now the regular stuff works fantastic!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome..I'm new here mysellf.... I just picked up a 06 s60 t5 about 2 month ago...I researched the hell out of the t5 and love it to death but after I bought it and joined some forums I now see what I really want is a s60r lol beautiful car man...nice black is sexyyy

·
Registered
93 Posts
First of all, welcome.

I am using M1 0w40. You might want to check out BobIsTheOilGuy. I have learned a lot about oil there. Of course you have to sift through the bull. I hope you enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Thanks again y'all.
CHANGE the idler and the tensioner EVERY time to save yourself a disaster. You can search and read all about the failures and rarely is it actually the belt. It's almost always the pulleys that cause the failure. In my opinion it's just not worth the risk to not change it. I actually do the water pump every other time. I've never had a water pump go or even leak in several hundred thousand miles on these 5cyls. Maybe it's just me but that's my plan.

Condolences AND Congrats on the 70 and 60 respectively!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks guys for all the feedback and all the warm welcomes! I can tell ive come to the right place and hope to be able to contribute on my end as i become more familiar with the vehicle. Heres my gameplan, let me know if it sounds like im on the right track please. Within the next two weeks ill be changing the oil over to full synthetic, changing the coolant, and flushing the trans fluid with a case of Mobil 3309. Then ive got a volvo/saab shop down the street from my job that will do the T-belt, tensioner, idler pulley, and front and rear cam seals.

Then I was thinking about doing the coil packs, plugs, cabin filter & fuel filter. Am I on the right track? Anything else y'all can think of or suggest? Oh and is a magnetic drain plug worth my while, or it that mostly a peace of mind thing? Thanks again folks.

One last thing, I guess the tape weights had flown off the front wheels, it had a bit of a bad vibration between 65 - 75, and I couldnt see a weight anywhere looking through the wheels. So I took it in for an all the way around tire balance and four wheel alignment last night. Made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great news, I found a distributor for the Mobil 3309 ATF. Theres a place here called Allied sales that sells it by the case for $64.05. And I was just about to order a case and pay $23 just to have it shipped. I just need to get out of bed early enough to pick it up before work one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts