SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with some regret, not much, that I have said goodbye to the XC90. I have left Volvo all together in for a more practical vehicle... A Minivan! I did love the included safety features of the XC90 though. I was having so many issues with fit and finish, small electrical glitches and was tired of the "it's under warranty, just bring it back" Include with that the anemic engine and odd shifting of the transmission and well, just got tired of it. This minivan drives like a sports car compared to the XC90 and with 16 inch wheels, tire replacement won't require a small business loan. Anyway, it was a good run. This community is very supportive and helpful. If I would have kept my V70 things might have been different. Will see what Volvo has planned for the XC90 in the future. Maybe I'll return when the kids are bigger and we don't have as much baby stuff to haul around.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It's a question of "how can I live with one"...............versus "how can I live without one".

They are expensive, they have their issues, and I am sure there is a "plus" and "minus" wall chart we could all produce. For me the "plus" category is the strongest.

Good luck with your choice, be safe, all the best.

P

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've owned my 2006 2.5T AWD XC90 for 3 yrs (35 mos) now, and have had $1300 in repairs. $1300/35 mos = $37/month in repairs. Not including one full brake job ,one set of tires, and oil changes. Highly affordable, fantastic ride, comfortable seats, and, well, I catapult off the line ahead of almost every other car nearby when the light turns green (Lots of low end torque). +++++, and let's see, I can't think of any negatives. And online customer reviews give the XC90 high marks from 2006. I'm talkin' Edmunds, Yahoo cars, Aol cars, etc. Sorry you got a lemon, but I know of a couple of unhappy Toyota owners too. As for the quirky shifting tranny, Aisin Warner provides most of the transmissions for Volvo, Toyota, and most Japanese car companies.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Jon, what vehicle are you transitioning to ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't yell, but I went with the Chrysler Town&Country. I found it to have the best bang for the buck as well as included safety features. I did look at Honda and Toyota. Fit and finish, the Chrysler seemed to be on par. Engine wise, Chrysler blows them away. Mileage seems comparable. For the $29,000 I spent on the T&C, I would have been closer to $40,000 with the others. I know it's a cookie cutter car, no resale what-so-ever, but in the short time I've had it, the comfort, convienence, powertrain and handling have won me over. The wife can come out of the supermarket, hands full of kids and groceries, hit a couple of buttons and doors and hatch open. Kids can climb in on their own, hit another button...doors and hatch close.

On the XC90, when shifting into reverse, it took seconds for the Navi screen to come up to provide the back-up video. Most of the time we had backed up and moved on before the screen even made it up. The T&C, instant. The BLISS on the XC90 rarely worked. Don't even have it on the T&C; though it is an option. Rear back-up sensors were an option, the system on the XC90 didn't beep until we hit something. I do believe the XC90 is probably a safer vehicle by construction, but the crash reviews for the T&C don't seem too far behind. I've also read that by design, a mini van is safe due to the spaces provided in the seating positions (ie. seats are set inboard from the doors. There is also a minimum of 12 inches of space between the rear hatch and the rear head rests.

I think I made a good choice for what I was in the market for. I do miss the piece of mind in regards to the included maintanence. But do not miss the electronic, leather and weird shifting issues we were having.
Like I said earlier, had we kept the V70, I probably would never have thought to move into something else. Thought I was making a smart move into something larger for the family with the XC90. I did buy it used with 8600 miles on it. Guess I inherited someone elses problem, or they just treated it like garbage. Anyway, will see what Volvo has in the coming years and maybe I'll return.

·
Registered
523 Posts
T&C is a good choice. great bang for your buck and just drive it to the ground.

our cost so far for the xc90 is the extended warranty + 4x$100 deductible. claims so far - greater than $7k. worth it for extended warranty. if i ever buy another volvo, it will be with extended warranty or leased.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I saw my first crashed Volvo today. It was a 2007 S60. Prob about a 50-60 mph frontal impact, square to the front. No passenger compartment intrusion. All doors worked. Min left front fender induced damage. Very impressive. Pretty much all damage was isolated to the engine compartment!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well, I saw my first crashed Volvo today. It was a 2007 S60. Prob about a 50-60 mph frontal impact, square to the front. No passenger compartment intrusion. All doors worked. Min left front fender induced damage. Very impressive. Pretty much all damage was isolated to the engine compartment!
As we all know, nobody does safety better than Volvo. Some car brands are close these days, but none better.

Sorry you got a lemon XC90. I know you are are probably missing a lot of it's features by now. I would miss mine severely if I had to trade it in for another car.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I for one would love a yearly update with your new T & C.........time will tell if you ever return to Volvo again.........

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
T&C is a good choice. great bang for your buck and just drive it to the ground.

our cost so far for the xc90 is the extended warranty + 4x$100 deductible. claims so far - greater than $7k. worth it for extended warranty. if i ever buy another volvo, it will be with extended warranty or leased.
So your advice is opt for the extended warrenty close to the time my S & S expires down the road?????

·
Registered
785 Posts
IIRC Chrysler had an issue with a previous generation minivan's seat belts unlatching especially during rollover accidents and their immediate remedy was to only use them in the rear seats (kids weigh less?). This is the same company that cheapened out with the LH platform cars and decided they didn't need seat belt pretensioners when practically every manufacturer were using them. Jeep has had issues with rear fuel tank placement allowing ruptures during accidents. Now I have to admit Chrysler reinforced their roof strength a lot earlier then many other manufacturers (Honda/Acura) and I was surprised by that. Based on their long history of safety neglect and reliability issues I could never see myself buying a Chrysler product.

http://www.therolloverlaw.com/Articles/New-Call-For-Chrysler-To-Recall-Seat-Belts.shtml

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
IIRC Chrysler had an issue with a previous generation minivan's seat belts unlatching especially during rollover accidents and their immediate remedy was to only use them in the rear seats (kids weigh less?). This is the same company that cheapened out with the LH platform cars and decided they didn't need seat belt pretensioners when practically every manufacturer were using them. Jeep has had issues with rear fuel tank placement allowing ruptures during accidents. Now I have to admit Chrysler reinforced their roof strength a lot earlier then many other manufacturers (Honda/Acura) and I was surprised by that. Based on their long history of safety neglect and reliability issues I could never see myself buying a Chrysler product.

http://www.therolloverlaw.com/Articles/New-Call-For-Chrysler-To-Recall-Seat-Belts.shtml
Geeez....if you cannot trust your seatbelt.......

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i dont see my self in a mini van, also without my XC90 lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a hard decision from a safety standpoint getting out of the XC90. I'll have to search around for the crash test/safety article I read prior to making the decision. I'm a Traffic Homicide Investigator, so believe me, safety is on my mind. From what I can remember, the top mini van manufacturers, Honda/Toyota/Chrysler(Dodge) have made tremedous leaps in safety in the past couple of years. It probably doesn't have Boron Steel construction, but it does have knee airbags... It has voice controls, so I don't have to take my hands off the wheel. I've also noticed that the seating is more inboard from the body, adding additional room for side impact intrusion. My concern isn't the front end impact or the rear ender. From my perspective the killers tend to be the T-Bones, 90 degree impacts at high speed.
From compacts to SUV's it's awefully hard to walk away from a high speed side impact. The mini van has a lower center of gravity compared to the XC90, although the XC90 probably has a better stability program...Thus reducing rollover issues. I will say that the performance of the mini van blows the XC90 away, acceleration and handling. I don't know... It's a roll of the dice whenever you hit the road. I've seen a tractor trailer rear ender and when pulled apart, finding a compact in between. Do I love the Volvo warranty and customer service, Yes. Do I love the convienence and practicality of the mini van, Yes. I will keep you updated on the reliability and customer service of the new mini van. This will be a long term test. An who knows, maybe Volvo will update the XC90, little bigger, little more convienence... maybe I'll return down the road.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hope you enjoy the minivan.

xc90 has been shedding things to stay cheap, list is long, here is a few
pretensioners in third row and middle seat middle row
nivomats as standard
irritating things like parking pass holder windshield, 1$ rubber strap inside glove compartment, tailgate interior release with child lock..............

on the other hand, I have never found anything to suggest the third row in any minivan is safe...
xc90 yes

enjoy your new wheels

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
my 2006 xc90. currently have 120,000km. extended warranty expires in April. to date, i have claimed about 8k of stuff. paid $3200 or so for it. well worth it.
Thanks for the update......I am planning on keeping my car a long, long time so this is probably money well spent. I just need to pay down my loan so I can afford it!!! With S & S expiring there may be new interest in the warranty extension......

1 - 20 of 191 Posts