SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I want an honest opinion about a car i'm interested in. Owning a ever so slightly slow 2.4 non-turbo 05' S60, test driving an S60 R was an absolute blast. I would pull the trigger but i've heard mixed reviews about the S60 R's reliability. I am in need of a rather reliable car (I understand that maintaining a S60 R costs more to maintain than a than a 99' Camry) but I just want an opinion on this car in particular.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/allen-fast-clean-volvo-s60r-300hp-awd/6837503346.html

Positive points:
- Paint was in pretty good condition for the mileage
- Interior leather wasn't worn to bits like most of these cars do in the heat
- He recently did the clutch
- It's a 6-Speed
- Everything apart from the cd player was working
- Facelift '05
- It's a great price
- Previous owner clearly cared for it
- He placed the front 2 shocks with active chassis replacements but the back 2 with normal shocks

Negatives:
- It has nearly 160,000 miles
- He went over a parking hump in the front and cracked the splitter
- It had a bad wiggle when braking over 30 MPH

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hey all,

I want an honest opinion about a car i'm interested in. Owning a ever so slightly slow 2.4 non-turbo 05' S60, test driving an S60 R was an absolute blast. I would pull the trigger but i've heard mixed reviews about the S60 R's reliability. I am in need of a rather reliable car (I understand that maintaining a S60 R costs more to maintain than a than a 99' Camry) but I just want an opinion on this car in particular.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/allen-fast-clean-volvo-s60r-300hp-awd/6837503346.html

Positive points:
- Paint was in pretty good condition for the mileage
- Interior leather wasn't worn to bits like most of these cars do in the heat
- He recently did the clutch
- It's a 6-Speed
- Everything apart from the cd player was working
- Facelift '05
- It's a great price
- Previous owner clearly cared for it
- He placed the front 2 shocks with active chassis replacements but the back 2 with normal shocks

Negatives:
- It has nearly 160,000 miles
- He went over a parking hump in the front and cracked the splitter
- It had a bad wiggle when braking over 30 MPH

Miles aren’t really something to be that worried about, timing belt+water pump interval is every 105k on these cars IIRC, so you’ve got a decent amount of time left. By cracked the splitter, do you mean the bottom of the bumper, or the front lip if the car has one? As for
the wiggle, most likely rotors. My V70R had the same problem and rotors resolved it.

Edit: Just saw the ad, yeah that’ll probably need a new bumper cover, at least if you’re like me. I wanna say they’re around ~$600 from volvo for a painted one? Don’t quote me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Miles aren’t really something to be that worried about, timing belt+water pump interval is every 105k on these cars IIRC, so you’ve got a decent amount of time left. By cracked the splitter, do you mean the bottom of the bumper, or the front lip if the car has one? As for
the wiggle, most likely rotors. My V70R had the same problem and rotors resolved it.

Edit: Just saw the ad, yeah that’ll probably need a new bumper cover, at least if you’re like me. I wanna say they’re around ~$600 from volvo for a painted one? Don’t quote me on that.

I mean he has a full packet of service records on it, it is a PA car though, so it has seen its fair share of snow and ice. Besides the cosmetic issues with the bumper, I don't see an urgent need to replace it. My S60 and S40 for that matter had a really bad wiggle when braking and even replacing the rotors, I couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 04 V70R just turned 170,000 miles.

Do I have about $800 in the garage from IPD to rebuild the front suspension and overhaul the PCV system?

You bet!!!

I bought it for $6,500 last year with about 150K.

It had run flawlessly and been a blast.

Not REQUIRED MX, but I am also going to install the IPD Springs and Sway Bars I already purchased when I have it on the lift for the front end Rebuild.

They are JUST as reliable as any other Turbo AWD Volvo, the only difference is of course tires/wheels/brakes/shocks/sway bars (which are special to the R).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
As long as they did the timing service, that's a good deal.

Bumper can either be repaired or replaced.

Bummer about them not putting proper 4C rears on, but you can do that later. Did they leave it so you get the DIM warning, or did they put the electrics off the old ones back on?

Still overall good deal.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Looks like a good deal. If you like the car and comfortable owning a Volvo (as in maintenance expense) buy it before someone else lurking here does :)

With a little bit of work you'll get it fixed. At least he already changed the fronts so it is only the rear for you to fix -cheaper, and it is not an urgency anyway as you can drive and enjoy the car until you switch the shocks. The big ticket item - clutch, was already taken care of to.
The front vibration can be caused by brakes usually but also by steering/suspension stuff. Any reputable garage should be able to figure it out and fix it. It is not rocket science and it is not something particular to the R.

The bumper is cosmetics and you get an already painted one from Volvo and install yourself - 1 hour max, or have a garage do it. You can also search for one from a junk yard and then decide if you just put it on the car as id or paint/re-paint it first. Do the estimate for each and see where you land. Some people have friends in the business so the costs can be a lot different from one person to the next. But if it is only a crack you might as well weld it on the back and live with it. That would be a quick and cheap solution. Just make sure you go to a shop that has the proper plastic welding tools and also properly reinforces the seam with additional material on the back.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
160,000 is a good number of miles for a 2005 car. It means the car was used but not abused. Looks like the owner was taking care of it. I can understand using the plain shocks in the back as he is selling it.
BTW '05 is not only a facelift. There were important changes under the wraps to and a tone of bugs got fixed from the factory so you do not have to wonder if they were fixed or not as with an '04.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts