SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a little project, and I need to find a good filler/bonding substance that can be used to attach two parts and then sanded down.

I've used bondo for little repairs, but I need something that can withstand a bit of force for a larger surface.

Any recommendations? Preferably something that could easily be done at home.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bondo is just epoxy with fillers to make it easier to sand. Get rid of the fillers and you will have better adhesion but will be more difficult to sand. I have make molds and filled them with epoxy then sanded/ground/cut/sawed to the shape I needed. Just take your time mixing so you dont get too many bubbles.

I have also used the "plastic metal" stuff. Its like two pieces of playdough that you mix together. When it cures its nice and hard. Ive used it to bound two pieces of metal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You don't say what the two parts are made of, nor how much filling you need to do. Also, to what degree are the parts structural?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's plastic to plastic. Not a TON of filling to be done. And both are structurally strong, it's just a matter of keeping them together and filling the gap where they meet.

I'm actually leaning towards melting the two pieces together and then fiber glassing over the entire thing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Abs cement

Yep, sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've used two-part epoxy (comes in a twin syringe dispenser) on plastic motorcycle bodywork with good results. It's strong and still can be sanded to shape.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went with epoxy for bonding and then fiberglass to smooth everything off. Worked out well, thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts