SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mainly familiar with P2 cars, I know about things like the glove test, control arms, general issues, but is there anything specific to look out for with P80s? This one has a 16T turbo, bigger injectors, an intake, exhaust with magnaflow muffler, almost 300k miles (odo still working!), still has the auto trans, the person said it still runs, drives, stops, and corners great, the main issue is the car isn't the prettiest cosmetically (clear coat fading, etc). Still has the 17" volans which is nice, as well as a set of lowering springs. Struts are in meh condition, he said he'd probably recommend replacing them. Thanks in advance for your help guys :)

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
Yeah that car is kind of a mess cosmetically. Personally I really only care about body/interior condition when I'm looking at a 850R so it probably wouldn't be interesting to me. Mechanical problems are way easier to me than cosmetic.

What tune does it have?
What lowering springs? looks pretty slammed so I'd assume IPD. That's gonna ride like ass so I'd ditch those asap and get H&R.
I bet that exhaust drones but that's easy and cheap enough to fix if that's a problem.
The HIDs aren't gonna be any good, so you'll need to do something about that.

$1800 seems like a lot of money for that car. I'm feeling more like $1000. I paid $950 for my white 850R. But then the market is headed upward pretty radically and that was over a year ago so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ended up getting it!

Like you said, HIDs are garbage, my passenger side headlight went out on the ride home lol. I don't think it has a tune, and i'm pretty sure it has an 18t/19t turbo without a tune, because if I let it build boost in econ without downshifting it'll boost cut and ABS/TRAC will come on. Not sure of the lowering springs still, they're a reddish/orangeish color. Maybe vogtland? The struts in it are pretty shot,so it rides kinda bad anyways. Surprisingly, the exhaust and intake are both bone stock!! I'll probably be doing some exhaust modifications soon to let the turbo breathe a little better, would you recommend deleting the resonator/muffler or replacing either of them with a magnaflow/cherry bomb etc? It has a little bit of vibration at certain speeds which i'm pretty sure is from an unbalanced rear wheel, and the brakes are a little sketch, it'll definitely need new rotors soon and it doesn't have a lot of pedal feel. Odo gear is broken, but that isn't too hard of a fix, i've done a couple 240 odometer gear repairs. I paid exactly what you were feeling, and honestly for the money I paid it's a very solid car. It drives like a beast, and hauls some serious @ss! The Volans are in good shape, tires are decent, the body is dent free, interior is in good shape and everything works (except the outside drivers door handle) just have to figure out what I want to do to restore the paint..

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
Time to make hybrid SEE-codes. E codes with HiR bulbs.

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
Time to make hybrid SEE-codes. E codes with HiR bulbs.
Are we going with that? Lol.

But yeah those will be going on my old white 850R soon. I'd recommend reading that thread, kinda the book for how to do up a 850R on a budget right now.

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
Are we going with that? Lol.

But yeah those will be going on my old white 850R soon. I'd recommend reading that thread, kinda the book for how to do up a 850R on a budget right now.
Yea. It works.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Obligatory pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
It looked to me like the clearcoat was burnt up pretty bad in the pictures it the ad. I'm going with needs a repaint.

Here's what I would do with this thing (in order):

1. stage 0
  2. Sticky tires (seriously you're going to need it, remember this thing is FWD which is great as long as you have great tires....I'd recommend zLine AS because they're as grippy as any Michelin or Pirelli UHP AS offering but ride better, cost less, and seem to last longer. My zLine AS are about as grippy as my PZero AS+ in the warm but the zLines are dramatically better once it gets below about 50°F. Continentals don't generally work on these cars; every HPT P80 I've driven on Contis I've almost crashed. Maybe ECS would be ok but at that point might as well just get PS4S)
  3. 302mm brakes and Hawk or ATE pads. Akebonos are no good for these cars.
  4. H&R springs
  5. Sachs struts front/Bilstein Touring shocks rear
  6. Simons catback
  7. Think about what else you want to upgrade (intake, intercooler, etc)
  8. Get Aaron/Beust/Va5st/whatever he is calling himself now to tune it
  9. Paint it

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
302mm brakes and Hawk or ATE pads. Akebonos are no good for these cars.
Any recommendations on rotors? I'm pretty sure the rotors on it are shot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I’m in the same boat as you. I have a (somewhat) new 855R that’s pretty rough around the edges. Needs paint, suspension, soon to receive a manual swap.

I’m giving myself a few years for the project since my wife and I just us a kid. But little by little - even if it’s one little thing a week, the car is looking better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
Question about the Simons catback: since it is a European market part, how much extra was it to get it to the US? What makes it any better than the ones we can get here?
It conforms to realistic noise standards. It's also cheaper than anything produced domestically at an equivalent or better quality.

They're sold here at huge mark up, import it yourself and you're looking at a significant savings and value ($435 usd)

I had an ipd system, a tme, a ferritta and now have 3 Simmons/jetexs. That should tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
^this. I have a TME and a Simons in the fleet. I'm buying more Simons exhausts and so is everyone else I interact with in person. I might eventually dump my TME for one.

Any recommendations on rotors? I'm pretty sure the rotors on it are shot as well.
Zimmermann

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It conforms to realistic noise standards. It's also cheaper than anything produced domestically at an equivalent or better quality.

They're sold here at huge mark up, import it yourself and you're looking at a significant savings and value ($435 usd)

I had an ipd system, a tme, a ferritta and now have 3 Simmons/jetexs. That should tell you all you need to know.
How would one import such a thing (in need of exhaust ideas) and what part number? There's two different exhausts that will fit and I'm interested in single outlet.

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
How would one import such a thing (in need of exhaust ideas) and what part number? There's two different exhausts that will fit and I'm interested in single outlet.
There's 3 that will fit. My suggestion is the twin muffler setup single exit, only one version like that. It's pretty easy, you just buy it and have it shipped to your house.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
18,326 Posts

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
Ah the 20-H7 is what I would need. Less than an IPD exhaust. Probably would take a month or two to get here. What is the drone like?
No drone. Ever. Anywhere. See my links for the best prices.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts