SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,697 Posts
This is my checklist for every road trip:

1. 40 PSI all around (NYC roads are terrible)
2. A quart of oil in the trunk (if I'm approaching 3K miles on an oil I usually add half a quart. Then I replace my oil [full syntech] ever 4K) as well as coolant
3. A portable Craftsman tool box
4. An electric air pump (comes in handy when you have to put the spare on and realize it only has 15 PSI (as opposed to 60) Or just make sure the spare isn't flat.
5. Towels
6. Gloves
7. Big garbage bag (in case you need to throw your flat tire inside
8. Big as$ LED flashlight
9. Washer-fluid topped-off
10. Oh and I also carry half a bottle of engine coolant - Just in case.
+1. Of course a radar detector is nice too.

I've driven from Connecticut to Utah, though in a different car. What a trip that was!

· Registered
1,740 Posts
I think everyone has already stated what to bring. However, I will leave you with one little tip.

If you are using a radar detector, make sure it works before you leave.

Unbeknownst to me, my radar decided to crap out on me a right before my monthly drive from Maryland to Connecticut. I soon learned that it was broken - on the side of the highway with a Crown Vic behind me.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
in no particular order:

- Phone charger
- Phone headset
- sunglasses
- extra gallon of windshield fluid
- wheel X-shaped wrench
- snow brush/ice scraper

one more item - thin gloves - gortex/ microfiber etc. really like to drive in gloves. going to buy some kind of driving gloves for summer too.

good luck and have fun

· Registered
9,089 Posts
Mapped it on google. I am headed from right outside of NYC. The I can either go 78/76/70 or 80/76/71 with a difference of 7 minutes.
well yeah, you take 71 from Akron, but 80 itself doesn't go to Columbus.

· Registered
9,089 Posts
Valentine 1 :thumbup:
I agree, but every time I see Mike Valentine's face I think of Droopy the Dog, plus the case of the V1 looks like it is out of the 70s.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
Full-size spare inflated to 40 PSI plus extendable lug wrench; and iPhone adaptor (if you don't have AUX IN.)

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Ill be honest with you - long car trips are excellent for books on tape, no joke. I've listened to numerous books over the years ranging from non fiction to business-related.

My old 960 did 10+ trip from minneapolis to colorado/utah/montana, has gone from minneapolis to florida, to texas.

And take breaks every so often, if you have not done long trips before there is a fatigue level you wont be used to. Everyones eyes need a good break every few hours.

Have fun!

· Registered
379 Posts
Good music or books on tape/ipod. Have wife/girlfriend come along and dress seductively. And if she gets tired have her put her head in your lap to sleep. You will be laughing your ass off all the way there especially when passing trucks.

Take breaks along the way. Get out and walk around and for heaven sakes take your wallet out of your pocket!

· Registered
3,445 Posts
And if she gets tired have her put her head in your lap to sleep.
How do you do that with the center console in the way? It has been many, many years since my girlfriend (and now wife) could do that. It was a '90 Honda Accord; it had virtually no center console.

...and for heaven sakes take your wallet out of your pocket!
Good tip! The R seats are the first seats that fit me so well; the lack of wallet in back pocket makes a difference! And I have an incredibly thin wallet!

· Registered
725 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread. i too am going for a long trip next weekend from Toronto to Virginia. would 225/40/18 tires survive? lol thats the only set i have at the moment and cant really afford to pick up another set. what PSI should i set my tires at? any help would be great.

· Registered
725 Posts
I wonder if its a good idea to remove th UR upper strut brace? I will be setting the tire pressure at 40psi. And maybe without the strut brace it will smooth out the ride a little? My concern is bending the wheels. Seems like if i the strut brace puts all the impact to the wheels. Thoughts?

· Registered
637 Posts
When it is cold I always throw in a blanket and if the weather might turn on me, a small snow shovel. I even carry a VS-17 marking panel in case I have to mark the car as disabled. We use it to mark helo landing zones in my day job.

· Registered
441 Posts
I have done many road trips ranging from 4 hours to 36 hours. Make sure you have an energy drink and sunflower seeds. Trust me sunflower seeds have kept me awake for hours along with an energy drink. Use the empty energy drink to spit sunflower seeds.

Don't forget the SUNFLOWER SEEDS!!!!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.