SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I just want to downshift and hold for a curve, but then continue in Sport/Auto mode. I end up doing back into D/Auto then Sport/Auto. Is there a way to avoid going back into D?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sometimes I just want to downshift and hold for a curve, but then continue in Sport/Auto mode. I end up doing back into D/Auto then Sport/Auto. Is there a way to avoid going back into D?
I wish their was. I often rest my hand on the knob and nudge it sometimes on the highway on accident, then wonder why im not accelerating anymore. :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have learned how to do a "slap" "slap" motion with hand to reset it into sport mode once I have made a manual downshift.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I wish their was. I often rest my hand on the knob and nudge it sometimes on the highway on accident, then wonder why im not accelerating anymore. :D
I've never nudged the knob over to sport mode by accident in this car. With my 2004 Passat, on the other hand, I was constantly nudging that knob over to sport mode because it moved in the opposite direction. You had to pull the knob toward you to go into manual mode which very easy to do on turns. That was very annoying. I'm happy Volvo is the other way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've never nudged the knob over to sport mode by accident in this car. With my 2004 Passat, on the other hand, I was constantly nudging that knob over to sport mode because it moved in the opposite direction. You had to pull the knob toward you to go into manual mode which very easy to do on turns. That was very annoying. I'm happy Volvo is the other way.
I ment that i was in sport mode and nudged the shifter gate down to 3rd and hit the rev limiter acclerating. Also did in one in 4th. It would be nice to have a gear timer in the "my car" menu for those that wished to use it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think it may take some time to get used to going back and forth, but its funny that it kind of replicates a manual car feel...D/Auto, switch to sport, change gear, moved back to D/Auto, switch back over to sport...hehe.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
1. Place hand on gear shift knob.
2. Move gearshift knob into Sport.
3. Pretend you are driving a standard until you get bored or realize it's not (whichever comes first).
4. Move gearshift knob back into Drive.
5. Repeat.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
OP, I know what you mean. When my car was delivered it did not have sport
mode. So placing the selector to the right put it directly into manual shift mode
and the current gear would be whatever it was in when in auto. So driving a
twisty road worked like this:

1. Hand on shifter as you approach the turn.
2. Before turn, push shift lever right. That goes to manual mode locking it in gear so it won't
shift during the turn.
3. At exit of turn, pull lever pack to left so it now auto shifts. Drive on!

That was very easy to drive fast with good control and no shifting through the turns.
With sport mode to do the same thing:

1. Place shifter in sport mode where car is auto shifting.
2. Approaching turn downshift then up shift so you are in the same gear (or up shift then down shift).
Car is now locked in the original gear from step 1 through turn.
3. At exit of turn pull lever left back to standard position to disengage manual shift.
4. Push lever to right to re-engage sport mode auto shift.

Between step 1 and 2 you get a gear shift which is what you are trying to avoid.
Between step 3 and 4 the throttle mapping changes and it is not subtle.

I would prefer the old method with a separate setting to set the car so the auto shifting
pattern was similar to sport mode (down shifts sooner and holds gear longer). I also
prefer the non-sport throttle mapping since I find it is easier to control the car through
a turn. Would be very cool if that sort of thing could be setup from Sensus (shift pattern
selection and throttle mapping selection and then use the gear selector to jump
in and out of manual shifts).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts