SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,<p>My folks have a 2002 SAAB 9-5 that is coming up to the end of its lease. Back in '02 they got it for $329/month. Now the lowest they can find is in the low $400s....which is nuts since its the same car, just some more power and superficial styling updates. They seem to like the Volvo S60. Can any owners comment on how they've liked the car? How's the reliability and quality? Has anyone used the car to transport 5 people on a regular basis? We had a Volvo waaaay back....a 1976 264DL...and that was our last real Volvo experience.<p>Thanks for any advice guys!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi saab93... and welcome to the forums.<br>I've just bought my s60 which is great. Not even had it a week and the drive is amazing. I came from an Vauxhall/Opel astra onto a new shape S40. I had a lot of issues with the S40 and in the end, swapped it for a 2005 S60<p>Styling, I'm sure I dont have to tell you but its very modern yet very elegant. the s60 does not make you feel like you're in a typical volvo boxy type shape. Its all changed and heads do turn!<p>So far quality I can speak on is great, nothing is moving (mines done 17k now) that shouldnt move, got a very slight creak in the stereo section which will be remedied under the 3 year warranty you get.<br>no rattles, very responsive (I have the D5 ) and on the whole reliable. No issues touch wood and I dont expect any either.<br>If i do, then again, the warranty takes care of me.<p>I think, like any car, the s60 suffered a fair bit in the initial stages but all of this has been ironed out as of 2003? (might be wrong there)... the 2005 shape for sure has no issues.<p>Anyway hope this helps, I can only talk from the 4 days I've had the s60.<br>By the way, although I'm 22, I have students, family, friends all the time in the car and yes, sometimes 5. I did a 200 mile journey earlier with 5 people in there. the car stayed up and sturdy with no comfort issues. Slightly cramped in the back for 3 adults but I think all cars are unless you get the S80 maybe? I've yet to sit in a car where you can get 3 adults in the back and have the same room as you would in the front.<p>Good luck and let us know how you get on

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: Going from 2002 SAAB 9-5 to new Volvo S60....thoughts? (SAAB93turboGuy)

I've had my S60 for a couple of years now and have loved it. I love the styling, I love the interior, and the performance of the 2.5T is right on par with my driving skill. It's really a perfect match. I've thus far had nothing fail on me, but I'm only at 20k miles. <p>That said, if you're planning on transporting 5 people around on a regular basis, you might want to look for something bigger. The back seat is tight -- there's no getting around it. The S60 can do 5, but not comfortably. Unless I absolutely have to, I put a cap of four people in the car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I like my S60 quite a bit, and I can't think of a better car for the price - especially if safety is an issue, but it has a few things that could be nicer - creaks and rattles are abundent. <p>I get rattling from the sunroof 'webbing' when the has been hot inside and it rattles against the sunroof window or frame. I intend to add some flannel to stop it. Also, the center console creaks like crazy when my wife leans on it (all the time). I can't figure out what to do to end it - tried spraying lubricant between parts to no avail... A few other rattles from the rear pillars and under the rear headliner make the car feel less than a quality new car for over $30K. Don't count on the dealer fixing any rattles - most don't treat the problem seriously, and even if they make a try of it, you could end up with a worse situation when they break your dash.<p>The ride is a bit rough, but some people might like that. And the noise level is barely acceptable - unless you are on super-smooth asphalt, it isn't that quiet. It sounds like my neighbors '01 Lexus GS so maybe that's how it goes for the price. Maybe a different tire choice will remedy that (and the roughness of the ride).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: Going from 2002 SAAB 9-5 to new Volvo S60....thoughts? (SAAB93turboGuy)

For me, quality and reliability are very good in my '02. I only have about 35K miles, so it is not a great data point yet. In general I like the car, especially the safety aspect. Main use is a daily commuter with me as the lone occupant - also impressed with gas mileage on such a heavy car. My main complaint about the car is size - 4 people is tight, 5 would be down right unbearable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2005 D5 SE which replaced a 2002 C-Class Merc.<p>Exterior is sweet, I love how this car looks. Interior is very functional and everything is within easy reach. Quality of materials is pretty good and everything appears to be well put together.<p>It isn't!<p>Mine's done 24K miles and I can identify at least 4 squeaks or rattles. Having installed the Volvo Digital Jukebox myself, I am now aware that almost the whole car uses "snap-together" fittings for the interior. Seriously, grab the rear seat bolsters and give it a tug, comes right off. Same with the rear seat squab. I think this is why it develops rattles early on in it's life. Compared to my C-Class, which developed one minor squeak in 3 years and I feel that Volvo have a long way to go.<p>As a drivers car, it's pretty average. Lots of power, but being front wheel drive (WHY Volvo Why) it hasn't a hope in hell of transferring all that power to the road. In gear acceleration with the D5 is awesome. Doesn't corner as well as the C-Class and the turning circle is a joke.<p>Might sound a bit like I don't like my car! I do, I love it. It handles well enough, it's supremely comfortable for long journeys and once you get used to the way the power's delivered, you can compensate for the lack of grip.<p>Incidentally, when Autoexpress (UK mag) last did a group test of the 3-Series, Saab 9-3, S60 and C-Class the S60 came 3rd overall with the Saab trailing the end. No surprise that the "darling of the UK motoring press" BMW came first!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts