SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had bad luck with SPC products in the past, and I wanted something a little different. I set about piecing together what I hope will be the ultimate street camber arms.

As you all know, most of the arms out there are SPC or SPC knockoffs. There are also a few low priced aluminum arms out there, some with cutouts, some solid. There are tubular steel, some very questionable, but I wanted something that actually looked like a solid product.

I had come across the Massive RaceSpec arms before, but was turned off by the flashy pink/purple. The I noticed they offered them in textured black, fantastic news. They're US made as well, more fantastic news.

These arms have the most positives going for it in my book, on car adjustment, aluminum construction, black in color, altered geometry for the adjustments, US made, reasonable price, nice grade 10.9 hardware including replacement bolts for the pivot points.

There are 2 major problems for me personally on a street car though. The poly pivot bushing is hard as a rock. Feels more like delrin or nylon. The other is that it uses a spherical rod end, and not a bushed rod end. These would be great for the track, but not so much for the street.

The rod end problem is a two part solution. Speedway comes to the rescue with a perfectly sized bushed rod end.

These are forged steel, and the correct width. The problem is that they come with nylon bushings.

To solve that problem Prothane, and Energy Suspension for that matter, has a pivot bushing that is the perfect size.

Now back to the Massive pivot bushing dilemma. Unfortunately they sized the hole in the arm oddly, and no off the shelf bushing fits. Prothane, and Energy Suspension again, make one that is perfect other than the barrel length is too long.

Prothane pivot bushings are a bit stiffer than Energy Suspension, and I went with them because this particular bushing would need to be shortened a bit. I'll be able to get a better grip on it when I chuck it up in the lathe. I'm going to try and get that done tomorrow after work. I'll then get some completed pictures up. Unfortunately I'm not sure when these will be installed. Might not be till the springtime.

Parts List:
1 x Prothane 19-601
1 x Prothane 19-603 <-- The one that needs shortening
2 x Speedway Motors 91008002
1 x Massive RaceSpec MASS'3427.CC

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Nice, I'm considering changing the solid bushings on mine. But, this may be a better idea since I hate having to remove the bolt from the hub each time I adjust the camber. BTW these were $94 shipped. How much is your setup going to run you?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
can you explain the problems with using the massive camber arms, as is, for street purposes? i've had them in for almost 2 years without any problems. i also got black :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm guessing rattle rattle rattle like my suspension. But i'm more race than street. Although its not bad on the street. Very tolerable except the wife frowns sometimes over bumps in really bad roads.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you explain the problems with using the massive camber arms, as is, for street purposes? i've had them in for almost 2 years without any problems. i also got black :)
That's why I said, "for me personally". With this particular vehicle I want to get it where I want while sacrificing as little comfort as possible. I had a bagged Ranger in the late 90s, I've had a gutted E30 BMW with super stiff poly and delrin bushings and mounts, I've had a DSM focused around putting down power, and plenty of other wacky things. There are things I loved about those cars, and plenty I hated.

The Massive arms are great, nothing wrong running them as is. I just want to make them perfect for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
The Speedway bush rod end is a nice solution. You definitely need to get a different upper bushing...
I had the Massive arms and that was the point of failure on them. I'd love to replace those bushing and put them in the next car, rather than throw them away... They're sitting in a trash pile right now.

Just an FIY, the C170 platform uses the same rear suspension components as the C1. I'm currently using APC forged camber arms that were designed for the SVT Focus. $80 shipped was a price I couldn't pass up. No complaints at all about quality, maybe 1lb heavier than the Massive arms.

Also, I got black Massive arms like 4 years ago, it's nothing new. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Speedway bush rod end is a nice solution. You definitely need to get a different upper bushing...
I had the Massive arms and that was the point of failure on them. I'd love to replace those bushing and put them in the next car, rather than throw them away... They're sitting in a trash pile right now.

Going to be turning the new bushings tonight if it's not too cold.

I know the black isn't new, I just never noticed it before. I've only had the car about 3 weeks though, so it's not like I've been looking a long time.

WRT heim joint use on the street- it can be done. Get some boots:

http://www.sealsit.com/rod-end-boots.html

and pack them with grease. They'll last a long time.....BTDT.
The Massive arms come with boots. I was thinking it was a nice touch as I unscrewed them and threw them in my random parts pile.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
sorry to hear your massive arms had a failure. hope mine stay intact. it seems like it's a quality piece.
massive wouldn't send you a new one or a replacement part? seems like that bushing would be relatively cheap to replace and worth doing for $200 arms.

Just an FIY, the C170 platform uses the same rear suspension components as the C1. I'm currently using APC forged camber arms that were designed for the SVT Focus. $80 shipped was a price I couldn't pass up. No complaints at all about quality, maybe 1lb heavier than the Massive arms.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i do get the poly issue vs rubber. i did poly bushes for the front lower control arms for a little while....great performance but then started to squeek like crazy and then seize up. blanking on the brand, but they weren't the higher quality (but much more expensive) white line ones people really rave about.

i guess i just haven't noticed any comfort or noise issues with the massive camber arms yet.

That's why I said, "for me personally". With this particular vehicle I want to get it where I want while sacrificing as little comfort as possible. I had a bagged Ranger in the late 90s, I've had a gutted E30 BMW with super stiff poly and delrin bushings and mounts, I've had a DSM focused around putting down power, and plenty of other wacky things. There are things I loved about those cars, and plenty I hated.

The Massive arms are great, nothing wrong running them as is. I just want to make them perfect for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
sorry to hear your massive arms had a failure. hope mine stay intact. it seems like it's a quality piece.
massive wouldn't send you a new one or a replacement part? seems like that bushing would be relatively cheap to replace and worth doing for $200 arms.
My miscommunication, I thought I was messaging with someone from Massive, but it turned out to be an opinionated forum member (another forum) who was responding to the thread. I was discouraged and bought my other arms.

I later got in touch with Massive and retracted my statements. They're supposedly sending me new bushings, but the arms are still sitting in a parts trash heap until further notice. It'd be nice to salvage them for the next car, but I'm very pleased with the APC arms.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'm about to install some elevate rear camber arms , where exactly are all
The bushings located and if I just want street comfort would the focus kit work since it's cheaper?

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
I'm about to install some elevate rear camber arms , where exactly are all
The bushings located and if I just want street comfort would the focus kit work since it's cheaper?
Was that question directed to me? The Elevate arms are great and I did not notice any change in ride comfort.

Honestly, the SVTF arms that I got are identical to the Elevate/SPC arms.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Was that question directed to me? The Elevate arms are great and I did not notice any change in ride comfort.

Honestly, the SVTF arms that I got are identical to the Elevate/SPC arms.

Anyone who's listening really lol. I saw your camber vid, gave me some good insight but specifically I'm wondering if I should mess with the bushings while I'm installing the camber arms and springs. I guess I'm not curtain where the bushings are in reference to the rest of the components I'm gonna be removing.

Honestly I don't really know what the bushings do or if I need to replace mine .

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
Anyone who's listening really lol. I saw your camber vid, gave me some good insight but specifically I'm wondering if I should mess with the bushings while I'm installing the camber arms and springs. I guess I'm not curtain where the bushings are in reference to the rest of the components I'm gonna be removing.

Honestly I don't really know what the bushings do or if I need to replace mine .
Unless you're trying to stiffen things up for the track, or make things more comfortable for the commute, I wouldn't bother replacing bushings unless you have some noticeable clunks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok, bushing trimming was a success. I've never cut poly on a lathe before, but it was very easy with a parting tool.

As promised, some pictures.

This is one of the rod ends that come with the Massive arms. They're a bit messy with antiseize and grease all over. The included boots are a nice touch.

These are the inner pivot bushings that come with the arms. Very very hard, and I wasn't digging the inner sleeve. It looks like it's cut with a bandsaw and then thrown in the plater. They're also not DOM, so you have that seem going down there. It's not really a big deal, and will certainly work just fine. I was just a bit confused considering the attention to detail everywhere else.

Here is the Speedway bushed rod end. The nylon bushings that come with these are to the left. The Prothane 19-601 are exactly the same size for an easy swap. The locknut came from the Massive arms.

Here is a fuzzy picture showing the Speedway rod end installed in the arm. Tighten everything down all the way like pictured, and loosening the larger bottom nut will adjust the length. The adjuster and the rod end share the same thread pitch, so they will be evenly loosened and tightened.

Here is the Prothane 19-603 all trimmed down for a perfect fit. I'll have to take care of that bare steel before installing, or I may turn some 303 stainless sleeves if I decide to get fancy. These are less stiff than the ones that come with the arms, but they are still very stiff.

Lastly, here's the whole thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts