SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...here is where I'm at.<BR>1. I removed my horns from in front of the radiator to improve air flow. I reinstalled one of the horns to the metal undercarriage. There was a perfect location directly under the driver side head light assembly.<BR>2. I adjusted the waste gate setting to increase boost.<BR>3. I replaced stock rotors and pads with crossdrilled rotors and kevlar metallic brake pads.<BR>What should I do next? Does removing the MAF screen really help performance...I know this is a controversial topic, but if I remove the screen, will I notice any difference? Will knifing the throttle body help? Same question: will I notice a difference. What can I do to increase performance without buying expensive performance parts from IPD or whoever? I have thought about installing a valve on my exhaust system to bypass the cat and muffler completely. This would OF COURSE be for "off road" - "race only" use... How much horsepower would I theorectically gain? Any suggestions are appreciated.<BR>Thanks<BR>de Jong

·
Registered
59 Posts
what do you run now ? are you auto or 5 speed ? if 5 speed what rpm's do you shift at ? do you know how much you are boosting ? have a gauge ? Why install a "valve" just go cat back it won't make that big of a difference. what's your trap speed ?<P>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a stupid auto...I'm not sure exactly what my numbers are....don't have the cash to go buy a gtech meter or any of the others to test...similarl haven't had the funds to buy gauges yet...probably will eventually...I adjusted the wastegate until I started to get the check engine light coming on indicating over boost and then backed off a couple turns.. i do neutral drops when dragging to get the turbo to spool up. Think of this volvo as a beginning project...the valve idea was the most cost effect way to elliminate all lost efficiency buy muffler systems...I can get the valve for $30 and install it myself. My roomate did it to his truck and found a very big increase in horsepower and fuel efficiency...I'm hoping it would help on my volvo...dunno...If anyone out there has a little technical know how on how this would help or hinder I would grealty appreciate it.<BR>Thanks<BR>de Jong

·
Registered
59 Posts
while you want to improve your reaction time doing nuetral drops will destroy your tranny. Not if but when. I would highly frown on that. You don't need to buy a gtech. Every city I know of has a track close to it. Pretty much every track has times set aside to go run the 1/4 mile. If thats what your interested in. It will give you reaction time, trap speed, 1/8 mile time and 1/4 mile time. start there so you can monitor your progress. I would say work on the skills first. The unfortunate thing about Volvo's is it will cost you money to modify. Do you have a boost gauge to accurately monitor your boost ? How about a manual Boost controller? Home Depot you can make one for about $2.<P>

·
Registered
59 Posts
all you need is a hose and a valve and connect it to your waste gate. I don't know how to EXACTLY do it but my friend did. I plan on doing it once i get a boost gauge. You then have a manual boost controller. Search the net for more info on it. It 's a manual boost controller for any turbo car.<P>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Neutral drops are really bad for the car. Anyway, We got the super coil and big bore TB from eastern aerospace. Those two items helped out a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts