SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's true - me too - I'm new. Owned a few 1800s and now a 122. Had a 242GT, 1969 1800E, 1963 P1800, and if I ever buy a new Volvo, it will be something along the lines of the S60, but it MUST be a stickshift... although I would really miss the rear wheel drive.<P>-he who stacks pork
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Hi, and welcome! Boy, those are some seriously VINTAGE (and therefore, completely and utterly COOL) Volvos, my friend! As for insisting on stick-shift -- yeah, I said the same thing until I spent hours upon hours in traffic. It all depends on your commute (and the muscle strength in your left leg). Ha ha. <P>Welcome...<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Apologies -- I meant to "welcome" you, rather than stomp on the dream of having a stick-shift S60. As a past stick-shift driver, I can totally and completely understand why somebody'd want one!<P>There's nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like rowing through those gears when you really feel like "driving" (as opposed to "steering" around in an automatic). <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"> You really feel one with your car, in tune with it. <P>So in case there was any room for doubt or misinterpretation, just wanted to say welcome, and didn't mean to be negative, flippant, or rude... Was just makin' chit-chat. Happy motoring...and welcome. (Honest.) <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif">
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,184 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lisa62:<BR><B>Apologies -- I meant to "welcome" you, rather than stomp on the dream of having a stick-shift S60. As a past stick-shift driver, I can totally and completely understand why somebody'd want one!<P>There's nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like rowing through those gears when you really feel like "driving" (as opposed to "steering" around in an automatic). <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"> You really feel one with your car, in tune with it. <P>So in case there was any room for doubt or misinterpretation, just wanted to say welcome, and didn't mean to be negative, flippant, or rude... Was just makin' chit-chat. Happy motoring...and welcome. (Honest.) <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Yeah, you better apologize lady! <IMG SRC="http://www.plauder-smilies.de/tales/electric-lou.gif"> ...Hehehe! Traffic would never stop me from driving stick shift...No way, Jose! I have drivn more than 190,000 miles (since) 1989 in the worst Philadelphia and NYC traffic jams and would never give up my beloved, er...stick, for anything! <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"> But it could also be a cultural thing, having grown up in Europe where automatics are almost non-existent.<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B>Traffic would never stop me from driving stick shift...No way, Jose! I have drivn more than 190,000 miles (since) 1989 in the worst Philadelphia and NYC traffic jams and would never give up my beloved, er...stick, for anything! <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"> But it could also be a cultural thing, having grown up in Europe where automatics are almost non-existent.<P>Yannis<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Try a Sachs feramic clutch disc and custom-spec'ed 3,000 lb pressure plate out for a week or two then get back to me- surely by then you will know how tiring it can get. 140-style bellhousing and cable-actuated throwout bearing/release setup-- no pesky English-made perpetually leaky hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. It is almost impossible to "feather" this clutch, since the nature of feramic clutches is that they stick exponentially more when they heat up. Cannot help but chirp the damn tires, either that or you almost kill the engine when starting out in 1st gear!<P>-he who stacks pork
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lisa62:<BR><B>Apologies -- I meant to "welcome" you, rather than stomp on the dream of having a stick-shift S60. As a past stick-shift driver, I can totally and completely understand why somebody'd want one!<P>There's nothing, and I mean NOTHING, like rowing through those gears when you really feel like "driving" (as opposed to "steering" around in an automatic). <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"> You really feel one with your car, in tune with it. <P>So in case there was any room for doubt or misinterpretation, just wanted to say welcome, and didn't mean to be negative, flippant, or rude... Was just makin' chit-chat. Happy motoring...and welcome. (Honest.) <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/smile.gif"></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No worries, Lisa -- I'm always impressed by a woman who is both knowledgeable and enthusiastic about cars. You are a rarity. Thanks for the welcome!<P>-he who stacks pork<P>Hmm, keep forgetting to check the "Show Signature" chingadero. Here goes:<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,706 Posts
Leopold,<P>Welcome to Swedespeed!<P>Just curious, where does your name come from and what does your 'tag' line (-he who stacks pork) mean BTW? <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/confused.gif"><P>-Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InDy:<BR><B>Leopold,<P>Welcome to Swedespeed!<P>Just curious, where does your name come from and what does your 'tag' line (-he who stacks pork) mean BTW? <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/confused.gif"><P>-Drew</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Just a name I made up a few years ago. I originally wanted to use the name <I>Hydraulius Condricthes Devadander Ambercrombie III</I> but it was too long, so I opted for <I>Leopold Porkstacker</I>. Just random silliness, that's all.<P>-he who stacks pork<P>
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top