SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my T5 may have bit the dust.
Engine needs some work(I don't want to give up on her though) but I have the money to get a used car.
Found a nice 2000 GLT with 110k miles. Black on black. Auto. Very clean. $5k.
All I can see in the pics is the trim where the foglights go, is missing. As are the foglights, but it wasn't optioned with them.
I called yesterday to see if the dealership still had the car. They do, and it's in Illinois, near the Indiana state line.
I want to call and ask them to take a pic of the dash while the car is running.
If there are no dash warning lights, I'll probably drive the 2 hrs to look at it.
This one looks loaded besides being a GLT.
Anything bad about the GLT besides the loss of 46hp?
How much of the parts are shared with a T5?
If I junk my car and before I do, I'd like to take my best bits that are better than what are on the used car.
The main reason I'm looking for something different, is the body work on my car is in need of TLC.
There is a dent below the taillight that has rusted(it's small but there). Rusted dent size of half dollar from parking lot wound on drivers front fender. I need a new front bumper on my T5. Radio aerial needs to be replaced or have a new white plastic sawtoothed thing(whatever it's called), drivers seat needs new switches for power seats(memory moves seat forward, but the single movement forward doesnt), steering rack needs to be replaced on my T5 and some other small cosmetic details.
So basically, I want to get an upgrade to a 2000 GLT for $5k instead of pouring $5k into my T5 and not getting all of that fixed. I know I could do the easy bits myself(like the bumper and radio aerial), but I just don't have the time. I need a car for when work resumes in 2 weeks.
Opinions?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
GLT's feel faster off the line. If most of your driving is in the city, then it will suit you just fine.

And more and more difficult to find these in decent condition with low miles.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you're concerned about the power of the GLT, take the 16T turbo and injectors off of your T5 when you find time (if they are any good). Then you'll have an upgrade for the future if you want. On the other hand, the GLT may suit your needs as is as njb8199 stated.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It doesn't feel faster, it IS faster; 0 to 40-50 or so.
GLTs can be modded quite easily and if you just flash (chip) the ECU you wind up with about the same hp as a T5 (225-230 or so) with no other mods and you will get TONS more low end torque!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was trying to remember, but I knew at least on person a while back took their GLT right up to the T5's level.
My T5 being a 98 and the possible new car being a '00 isn't an issue? Obviously that block is still around today, but yeah, just asking to be sure.
And considering the car I'm looking at is in better body shape than mine(haven't seen it in person to determine anything other than what pics can tell me) and fully loaded(CD/Tape, power/heated seats) and the driver and passenger front door panels have either been replaced or have not unglued yet, it's really nice.

I was planning to pull the T5's turbo. Any reason to possibly pull the head and the intake/exhaust? I mean, how far should I go? I'm just wanting some of the best parts from my T5. Say if my exhaust system(stock) is better than the one of the newer car? How much transfers over without being a problem? Is it like everything but the extra .1 liter and ECU?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The 16T and your injectors should be a direct swap though you'll need to get a tune from someone to take advantage of that upgrade properly. The 2000 is different than your 98 in some ways and I don't think the head will swap over directly since the 2000 has VVT although I know some people have created hybrid motors using one head or another on the later/earlier style engines.

The 2000 ECU is mated to your vin # so you can't literally swap ECUs the way you could on a '98.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The 16T and your injectors should be a direct swap though you'll need to get a tune from someone to take advantage of that upgrade properly. The 2000 is different than your 98 in some ways and I don't think the head will swap over directly since the 2000 has VVT although I know some people have created hybrid motors using one head or another on the later/earlier style engines.

The 2000 ECU is mated to your vin # so you can't literally swap ECUs the way you could on a '98.
The only thing different on the 98 vs 00 turbo should be the hot side, straight flange for 98, angled flange for 00. Not a big deal though, just swap the hotsides.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm just wanting some of the best parts from my T5. Say if my exhaust system(stock) is better than the one of the newer car? How much transfers over without being a problem? Is it like everything but the extra .1 liter and ECU?
Thanks
I am doing the same thing right now with my GLT and my new T5M. All of the parts that are better on the GLT are getting swapped to the T5. Mostly interior stuff (door cards, lock actuators, etc.) I am keeping both complete though so I can try to get a least a little money for the beat up (but very nice driving) GLT when it is time for it to go.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Exhaust (DP) is not interchangable
I'm telling you just flash the ECU and see how you like it
One of my most fun street cars was a 98 chipped GLT (and exhaust)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just curious about some of the expensive pieces that my T5 may have that the GLT may need.

I still need to go look at the GLT. I hope there isn't a major reason it hasn't sold yet. It's not listed on Autotrader or Craigslist. So who knows. Still it's worth looking at.

I thought only the base model engines had variable valve timing? Is it all of the 99+ engines or just 00?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and just to open the possibilities, the C70 LPT is the same as the GLT motor correct? Obviously the C series ran 2 years longer than the S.
I'd only be looking at coupes.
The 98-00 HPT and '01 and '02 C70's have the T5 motor correct?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Oh and just to open the possibilities, the C70 LPT is the same as the GLT motor correct? Obviously the C series ran 2 years longer than the S.
I'd only be looking at coupes.
The 98-00 HPT and '01 and '02 C70's have the T5 motor correct?
LPT = GLT in coupe land.

1998-2002 have the T5 engine though it changes from 98 to the 99-2002 models. Biggest change is the move from cable throttle to electronic throttle management. That plus the VVT in the 2000 forward as Will already mentioned.

You'll actually have an easier time finding an HPT coupe than an LPT. Most coupes seemed to be HPT (T5) while the LPT was generally reserved for the ladies and their verts. If you have money to spend and want a beautiful coupe, I can point you to a few. Like this one for instance:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177711-1998-Saffron-C70-for-sale

That one is in the Chicago area and I know the owner - great guy, great car. But I know of two other saffs available right now elsewhere across the country.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Which tune did you prefer, JRL? Now that I'm about to be the happy owner of a GLT motor to replace my blown R motor, you've got me wondering.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I ran an old (arround 2004 or so) MTE (IPD) LPT tune, it was smooth and powerful
I had the same tune on my 99 T5 it was very nice

·
Registered
216 Posts
thanks, JRL. In doing some searches, I get a whiff that maybe my stock "R" ECU has something of the same effect on the GLT motor? I couldn't find anything conclusive though. I'd like the car to perform nearly as well as it did with the 16T T5. I'm encouraged by your enthusiasm for the GLT motor; this one has nearly 75k less on it than my T5, and something is wrong with the T5 beyond a simple head problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts