SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after some locker break ins at the gym, I started leaving my wallet and phone in the glovebox of my Volvo S60. The other day, there was a discussion in the sauna. Several people claimed glovebox's were not safe at all, could easily be opened by a crowbar. I can see that, not overly secure.

However, my question is... are Volvo gloveboxes more secure than say your run of the mill car out there?

I did end up getting a little Master Lock 5900D box. Its not all that secure, could be broken into. It does have a metal rope chain that I looped through the metal framing in the trunk, so it hangs down. Figure, if someone were to break into the car, then discover this in the trunk, they would have to stand in the parking lot, trunk open with with wire cutters. Too much work for your average thief. Plus, I thought the lock box might be good for travel. Especially overseas.

·
Registered
581 Posts
So, after some locker break ins at the gym, I started leaving my wallet and phone in the glovebox of my Volvo S60. The other day, there was a discussion in the sauna. Several people claimed glovebox's were not safe at all, could easily be opened by a crowbar. I can see that, not overly secure.

However, my question is... are Volvo gloveboxes more secure than say your run of the mill car out there?

I did end up getting a little Master Lock 5900D box. Its not all that secure, could be broken into. It does have a metal rope chain that I looped through the metal framing in the trunk, so it hangs down. Figure, if someone were to break into the car, then discover this in the trunk, they would have to stand in the parking lot, trunk open with with wire cutters. Too much work for your average thief. Plus, I thought the lock box might be good for travel. Especially overseas.
I lock my valuables in the trunk! The glove box doesn't seem very tough.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I can tell you the 2012 S60 trunk is very secure. If the car is locked the truck release push button is disabled. Even when you gain access to the interior of the car te alarm will activate and the trunk cannot be released. You would have to force the pass through open then use a hook to pull the manual release cable. Not easy I can tell you!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I can tell you the 2012 S60 trunk is very secure. If the car is locked the truck release push button is disabled. Even when you gain access to the interior of the car te alarm will activate and the trunk cannot be released. You would have to force the pass through open then use a hook to pull the manual release cable. Not easy I can tell you!
This is a feature found in all Volvos, and not just the newest models.

No glove box is very secure as only a small latch is the barrier between whatever is inside it and a thief.

However, the trunk is a different story and, as you wrote, the best place to leave any valuables. Nonetheless, if someone knows you have something very valuable in the trunk, he will find a way to get in or take the entire car away!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Use the little pocket under your thigh. No one even knows they exist. An unnamed R owner found some blow in his pocket when he bought his used. :eek:

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
One of my friends was messing around with my keys and put the key from my old 850 into the glove box on my 2001 V70 XC and turned it. The entire locking mechanism popped right out and the glove box dropped open. I would say it is NOT very secure and could probably be popped just as easily with a big screwdriver.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The glovebox can be opened by jamming your fingers into the top gap and levering them down forcefully. The plastics are no match for even a 98lb weakling.

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
I would hide things in the trunk as well. Or even better, lift up the trunk carpet and put your stuff next to the spare (is it that easy on S60s? it is on the P1s). People don't look there

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What do you do when you don't have a trunk i.e. a wagon? Anyway there are a couple of places to put away your valuables in the car if you look for them.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I wish they made a lockbox that bolted into the center console.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I wish people would keep their filthy paws off other peoples stuff.

BTW - I use the trunk - try to park in conspicuous locations - and cross my fingers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts